PDA

View Full Version : fw dips: use them but use them with caution.

bergzy
01/25/2010, 12:10 PM
since setting up my clam biotope...i havent had so many problems as i do when they were in a mixed reef.

so far, three clams have developed pinched mantle and i lost two to pmd as well.

well, thank goodness for rc and learning about fw dips.

do this when the main lights go off for the night so the clam has the night to recooperate.

equalize pH and temp with rodi.

25 minutes soak...swirling the water a little.

put them back in the display tank and voila! they are happy and extended like nothing was bothering them.

my 1.5" light blue teal maxie was always languishing but after the fw dip...the mantle extension looks great!

trick is to dip them before they become too weak to withstand the treatment. the sooner the better.

Maivortex
02/01/2010, 09:05 PM
25 minutes in FW?

bergzy
02/01/2010, 11:26 PM
yep!

take your time with getting the pH and temp just right.

EMT87
02/08/2010, 10:36 PM
thats a great trick to know thanks alot for letting me in on that

seafansar
02/15/2010, 01:32 PM
How long is sooner rather than later? I ask cause I just learned about pinched mantle and am afraid my two maximas have it. I've had them for a little over a month now and they've never put out their mantle all the way. One looks pretty bad now. But my crocea that I've had for almost a year in the same tank looks fine.

How quickly does PM kill? Or is something else going on with my clams?

jd474
02/17/2010, 10:16 AM
How long is sooner rather than later? I ask cause I just learned about pinched mantle and am afraid my two maximas have it. I've had them for a little over a month now and they've never put out their mantle all the way. One looks pretty bad now. But my crocea that I've had for almost a year in the same tank looks fine.

How quickly does PM kill? Or is something else going on with my clams?

If it is PM, the sooner you catch it the better. It is a protozoan, and if left too long can actually get into the organs, where a FW bath won't do any good. Have you checked for pyramellid snails? Those are the 2 most common pest problems w/tridacna.

bergzy
02/17/2010, 10:41 AM
yes,

try to identify pm as soon as possible. i identified it too late in my croceas, dipped them and they didnt make it.

and like jd said, also look for pests like pyramid snails...theyre nocturnal.

Kataro
02/17/2010, 02:02 PM
how do you get the PH from RODI to match the reef? buffer?

moliken
02/17/2010, 07:07 PM
u do not!