PDA

View Full Version : How long does fresh rodi water stay good?

gordon2726
01/25/2010, 07:42 PM
Hi guys,

How long does fresh made rodi water stay good? I have a large 55gal barrel for my ATO and I try to fill it about 20gal and it'll last me about 1 month but when it's time to refill, there's a strange smell. I drink my rodi water daily and if I left it in a glass over night and drink it the next day, it will taste strange. Should I try to clean the barrel everytime I refill with fresh rodi water? Does fresh rodi water go bad quicky? Thank you.

Genetics
01/25/2010, 09:41 PM
The RO water might be pulling something from the container into it. Otherwise, a closed container should last quite awhile.

Fishamatank
01/25/2010, 09:45 PM
I have a 45 gallon water storage container that I keep anywhere between 1/4 and 3/4 full. I've never completely emptied it, been going like this for about 4 months now. I go through about 7-8 gallons a week on average. Not much of an answer, but no I've had no problems so far.

vessxpress1
01/25/2010, 09:46 PM
The RO water might be pulling something from the container into it. Otherwise, a closed container should last quite awhile.

I think this was a good explanation. I don't understand the chemical process but I believe RO/DI wants to gain molecules or something because it's pure water that has been stripped of everything else. Which is why somehow, it speeds up the rusting process of steel. I store mine in a large rubbermaid tub and it always smells like the tub when I lift the lid. It's full of RO/DI for a month at a time or more.

Fishamatank
01/25/2010, 09:56 PM
It is the DI process that makes the water unstable, it wants to gain it's ions back. The water is going to get part of whatever you put it in the way I understand it.

Flipper62
01/25/2010, 09:59 PM
If you keep it in a sealed container, it should last for a long time.

I use sealed 5 gallon water cooler containers for my office BioCube. The water has been good for 1 to 2 months, by then its all used up and I make more.

For the larger tanks, I have a 55 gallon that is also sealed. The water in there is still good after 1 month. I'm always using it and making more so there really is never any less then 25 to 30 gallons in there.

I always use a COM-100 portable TDS meter to test any water before I use it.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/26/2010, 07:57 AM
I would ignore the smell and do not think it a concern. If you are worried, you can put some GAC in it, but many folks find it smells a bit musty and isn't a concern. I store RO/DI in Brute cans for a similar period to you.

gordon2726
01/26/2010, 11:18 AM
Okay, I will continue what I am doing and ignore that "musty" smell for now. Thank you guys!

DeathWish302
01/26/2010, 11:49 AM
I would ignore the smell and do not think it a concern. If you are worried, you can put some GAC in it, but many folks find it smells a bit musty and isn't a concern. I store RO/DI in Brute cans for a similar period to you.

That's exactly what I smelled the other day when I finally cleaned my Brute out after 2-3 years. The smell hit hard and smelled of musty, moldy, pugent smell. Nice to know others' (maybe even Randy) are experiencing similar funk. I cleaned the Brute out with vinegar, but a couple days later the water had the smell again after refilling.

borcu
01/26/2010, 05:24 PM
and how long does new prepared salt water stay good?

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/26/2010, 05:27 PM
Depends on the salt mix, but if it contains no organic matter (vitamins, etc.) then it too will last as long as you want it to with no heating or stirring. Instant Ocean, for example, will not go bad. :)

borcu
01/26/2010, 05:30 PM
thank you.

d0ughb0y
01/26/2010, 05:58 PM
Depends on the salt mix, but if it contains no organic matter (vitamins, etc.) then it too will last as long as you want it to with no heating or stirring. Instant Ocean, for example, will not go bad. :)

how about reef crystals?
I have a few reef crystals buckets (with the rubber gasket on the lid) that I am planning to store mixed salt water in (using reef crystal salt).

tnx

oscar.millan
01/26/2010, 06:09 PM
I fill my RO/DI 55 gallon drum about once every 3 to 5 weeks. I typically empty it all the way and wipe with a clean towel to remove the brown residue before filling it up again. About once every couple of months, depending on the need, I will rinse and wash with a glass scrubber and rinse again.

No smell, and seems to be working fine.

scbauer
01/26/2010, 06:29 PM
I drink my rodi water daily and if I left it in a glass over night and drink it the next day, it will taste strange.

I typed this long reply, then it didn't post and I lost everything I typed, so I'll keep it short... I think it's bad to drink RO/DI water. I drink my RO water every day, but I think the DI process makes the water bad to drink. Try a quick Google search.

-Scott

rholguin
01/26/2010, 10:08 PM
+1 on the above di water is bad to drink. If I remember correctly di water develops a kind of bacteria once the air hits it that is bad for human consumption in large quantaties.

sedor
01/26/2010, 10:10 PM
I have heard that the RODI water strips the beneficial nutrients from our bodies. The RO portions makes great drinking water though.

Falconeer
01/26/2010, 10:13 PM
+1 on the above di water is bad to drink. If I remember correctly di water develops a kind of bacteria once the air hits it that is bad for human consumption in large quantaties.

I was under the impression that it is bad to drink because it is stripped of literally everything...no dissolved solids, no ions, nothing; and the issue was that the human body needed some of those ions to survive.

I can see how a bacteria foreign to tap water could form in RODI water, but that's the first time i've read it.

elijaher
01/26/2010, 10:38 PM
Does rodi water taste nasty?

Flipper62
01/27/2010, 12:01 AM
There is nothing wrong with drinking RO/DI water......Other then the taste.

The Myth has already been debunked here at Reef Central 1000 times.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/27/2010, 06:36 AM
how about reef crystals?
I have a few reef crystals buckets (with the rubber gasket on the lid) that I am planning to store mixed salt water in (using reef crystal salt).

Reef Crystals has vitamins in it which bacteria may feed on. So at the least keep it stirred to prevent it becoming anaerobic (no need to keep IO stirred), and the vitamins themselves will degrade be lost at some rate (if you care about that), but I'm not sure how fast.

DeathWish302
01/27/2010, 09:16 AM
Reef Crystals has vitamins in it which bacteria may feed on. So at the least keep it stirred to prevent it becoming anaerobic (no need to keep IO stirred), and the vitamins themselves will degrade be lost at some rate (if you care about that), but I'm not sure how fast.

Thanks Randy for the heads up! I didn't realize this, as I haven't used RC in quite awhile. I recently switched back to a 50/50 IO/RC blend on the last WC mixing and never turned the PH off in the Brute can. Thankfully I didn't now that I know this.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/27/2010, 09:19 AM
:thumbsup:

Happy Reefing. :)

wrightnow
01/27/2010, 12:03 PM
Randy, I wasn't aware that some salts have vitamins and needed to be stirred to keep it from going anaerobic.

I have been using Red Sea (not the pro) does it contain anything that would require it be stirred 24/7?

Thanks
Mark

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/27/2010, 12:17 PM
I'm not aware of any organics added to Red Sea salt. :)