PDA

View Full Version : B-ionic and calcium

aquadonkey
01/25/2010, 08:21 PM
Hi folks -

I'm just getting started with some LPS and am wondering about raising my calcium level. I picked up a fungia (3") at my LFS yesterday because I thought my calcium level was fine (they tested it on Wed. at the LFS and calcium was 400 and I didn't think it would go down because there weren't any stony corals in the tank).

Anyway... I came home with the test kit and the b-ionic and my calcium level was 300. I dosed the recommended amount last night and tested again tonight and it is now at 350.

Should I keep dosing the 1ml/gallon? Should I increase it? How fast of a change is too fast?

I'm feeling bad right now because I bought this coral without the levels being perfect......

Thanks

frank mascaro
01/26/2010, 09:46 AM
I keep my level around 400 using B Ionic

Guygettnby
01/26/2010, 10:29 AM
i shoot for 400+ in my tanks. so i say keep dosing until your alk, cal and mag are all in check.

IslandCrow
01/26/2010, 10:38 AM
Check out the stickies in the Chemistry forum, and you can get some good info. I'll give you my 2 cents for right now, though. First, double check that calcium. What type of test kit are you using by the way? 300 is certainly not unheard of, but either you or the LFS (or potentially both) is obviously off on your testing, as there's no way the calcium would have dropped that much in one day.

Also, hopefully you're dosing both parts of the B-ionic. Generally both parts are sold together, but I've seen it sold separately at one or two stores. The alkalinity is the other parameter you'll want to keep in balance with your calcium. Magnesium is a third. Among other things, it allows you to keep your calcium at supersaturated levels (above 325-350 or so). You'll find that if your magnesium gets low, you'll have a difficult time raising your calcium.

As for dosing, 1ml/gallon is probably a good place to start, but it requires trial and error, as all tanks have different demands. With only one stony coral, you may actually find that's too much. I'd start off with that, test your calcium at least weekly, and then adjust from there. Once you come up with a regimen that works, you won't have to test as often. Do the same for alkalinity. As a matter of fact, that's more important to monitor, as it will change more quickly. If you keep your alkalinity in check and add equal amounts of calcium supplement, your calcium should be pretty good as well (you'll still want to spot check it).

Lastly, this calculator will be your friend if you're not using it already. It will help you determine how much supplement to add in order to raise your alkalinity, calcium or magnesium to your desired level:

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

aquadonkey
01/26/2010, 06:40 PM
Thanks for this info! I guess dosing with 1ml/4g is really too little. I'll take a water sample to the LFS again tomorrow as well to see if we still get different results.
And I'll also go check out the chemistry forum.
Thanks!

IslandCrow
01/26/2010, 08:19 PM
Actually, it's tough to say what's enough or too much for your tank. I believe I was dosing around 30ml in my 46g with 20g sump, and I had a good amount of SPS plus a couple clams. 1ml per 4g may actually be enough. If you're using a high calcium salt like Oceanic or Reef Crystals, regular water changes alone may even be enough.