PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on lighting for a 180g all Softies, LPS, Anemones tank

Ldesp
01/26/2010, 10:08 AM
I am curious to hear what others would suggest to light up a 170/180g reef tank that will be almost entirely softies, lps and anemones. Looking for best coloration / extension / growth as a result and will have fish as well.

The tank dimensions are (59 x 23.5 x 27.5) with approx 2-3" deep sb.

Total Watts?
MH?
T5?
PC?
LED?
Brands?
Combos?

Thanks for any and everyones opinions.

rbnice1
01/26/2010, 11:29 AM
If your going to do anemones you will have to do T-5, MH, or some combo of them. And depending on the anemone some need a lot of light some not as much. Which ones are you wanting to keep?

Ldesp
01/26/2010, 11:54 AM
If your going to do anemones you will have to do T-5, MH, or some combo of them. And depending on the anemone some need a lot of light some not as much. Which ones are you wanting to keep?

anemone will be most likley be of BTA/RBTA types.

rbnice1
01/26/2010, 12:06 PM
BTA either GBTA or RBTA both dont need a huge amount of light and can/will move around till they are happy. With how tall your tank is, if you were wanting any sand dwelling anemone I would say MH would be manditory but with rock climers like BTA's I would say you could do any lighting you wanted really. I good T-5, or MH, or combo would be fine.

So its up to you really. MH give you that nice shimmer, great par, but heat the water some. T-5 has no shimmer but great bulb selection to get your coloring just what you want, has almost no heat transfer.

I use a combo with 4 T-5 and 2 250MH, but you could go all t-5 or all mh or both. Its what you want really. Just remember no matter what way you go get good fixtures and good bulbs. Cheap fixtures and bulbs will just waste your money.

Ldesp
01/26/2010, 12:48 PM
BTA either GBTA or RBTA both dont need a huge amount of light and can/will move around till they are happy. With how tall your tank is, if you were wanting any sand dwelling anemone I would say MH would be manditory but with rock climers like BTA's I would say you could do any lighting you wanted really. I good T-5, or MH, or combo would be fine.

So its up to you really. MH give you that nice shimmer, great par, but heat the water some. T-5 has no shimmer but great bulb selection to get your coloring just what you want, has almost no heat transfer.

I use a combo with 4 T-5 and 2 250MH, but you could go all t-5 or all mh or both. Its what you want really. Just remember no matter what way you go get good fixtures and good bulbs. Cheap fixtures and bulbs will just waste your money.

Thanks for the info... Did you build your own combo or was it prebuilt? What is your total W? Also what is your tank Dimensions ?

The Grim Reefer
01/26/2010, 01:05 PM
Another option would be expensive but cool. You could place 6 24" T5's on each side with a 250 watt halide in the center and hope the Anemone will park under the halide and stay there.

Another option would be the single 250 in the center with a 60" Blue Plus t5 in front and behind the halide then 4 24" T5's on either side of the halide.

rbnice1
01/26/2010, 01:47 PM
4 4foot t-5's with 2 250watt phoenix MH's all retroed in a custom hood I built. I am using lumenmax elite reflectors on the MH. Total watts 644ish. Tank is 60x30x20. I had these light on my old 90 standard 48x18x24. I have light fall off on the edges but its only about 4 inches on each side.

shaneh
01/26/2010, 02:56 PM
Grim:

I have a 175/ 180 bow front and would like to go your top option. with a modification....

"Another option would be expensive but cool. You could place 6 24" T5's on each side with a 250 watt halide in the center and hope the Anemone will park under the halide and stay there."

my concern is will it all fit in my canopy. the measurments are 17.5 at sides, 24 at bow and 30.5 deep. Glass tank with 2 plastic center braces, oceanic ultimate tank.

So my plan is like you said 250 lumenarc in the middle,72" VHO super atinic on the back, sides have 4 24 inch t5 and the front will have 2 36 inch T5 blue plus.

Can you recomend what bulb colors i should have for the t5 sides?

Also will all this fit in the canopy?

Thanks guys

sorry don't mean to hijack the thread but it is a 180 bow

The Grim Reefer
01/26/2010, 05:36 PM
Grim:

I have a 175/ 180 bow front and would like to go your top option. with a modification....

"

my concern is will it all fit in my canopy. the measurments are 17.5 at sides, 24 at bow and 30.5 deep. Glass tank with 2 plastic center braces, oceanic ultimate tank.

So my plan is like you said 250 lumenarc in the middle,72" VHO super atinic on the back, sides have 4 24 inch t5 and the front will have 2 36 inch T5 blue plus.

Can you recomend what bulb colors i should have for the t5 sides?

Also will all this fit in the canopy?

Thanks guys

sorry don't mean to hijack the thread but it is a 180 bow

The reflectors are about 2 1/2 inches wide if you stick with ice cap or Aquailluminations.

For the four side T5's I would do a UVL Actinic White, a ATI Aquablue and 2 Blue Plus.

That would be a pretty sweet idea for the OP's tank to.

shaneh
01/26/2010, 05:49 PM
perfect thanks Grim you are going in my credit when i write up my tank blog it is alomost done i'd say by the end of this month! It will look sick!

Last question the guy i am getting my lights from says sunlight supply has the best t5reflectors what do you think? should i stick with Aquailluminations? i hear you say good things about them alot.

you said a good T5 set up will kill a 150 MH DE so the bulb suggestion fom you is

front
UVL Actinic White,
ATI Aquablue
Blue Plus.
Blue Plus
Will this beat a 150 DE MH? I jsut seems really blue, that is fine i just don't want the MH in the middle to look like a spot light to the two sides.

I think i have room for a 36inch t5 infront of the MH, so the very front of the tank do you think i shoud do another blue plus

Also do i need to build the canopy to get the T5's as close to the water as possible. like 4 inches.

Do i need to be concerned it may melt the plastic bracing (the bracing from oceanic?)

sorry to cause any confusion and ask so many questions this stuff is not cheap so i want to make the best decission.

The Grim Reefer
01/26/2010, 05:51 PM
perfect thanks Grim you are going in my credit when i write up my tank blog it is alomost done i'd say by the end of this month! It will look sick!

Last question the guy i am getting my lights from says sunlight supply has the best t5reflectors what do you think? should i stick with Aquailluminations? i hear you say good things about them alot.

Those or Ice Cap either one are better than Teks.