PDA

View Full Version : Question about dry rock

tml52974
01/26/2010, 11:09 AM
I'm finally getting back into the hobby after a lengthy abscence. My previous 62 gallon reef tank was set up using live rock purchased from my LFS. Biologically speaking I was happy with the results. My only issue was the appearance of the aquascaping. I couldn't help but notice that it looked like a big pile of rocks. I fell I could create something more natural by using dry rock. It will afford me an opportunity to really take my time setting up in an empty tank. I can use adhesives and pvc to make a more interesting and natural aquascape. Once finished I can seed the tank with LFS purchased live rock and live sand.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience using dry rock? Any suggestion or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Sisterlimonpot
01/26/2010, 11:18 AM
That's not far fetched at all, matter of fact the best looking aquascaping (IMO) is done the way you described, So the answer is yes definitely do it, you can seed from a few small cured rocks or even with a cup of sand from another established tank.

IslandCrow
01/26/2010, 12:46 PM
Agreed. Just give your tank some extra time to establish a functional biological system, don't add too much livestock at once, etc., etc. It sounds like you have a good plan.

Stuart60611
01/26/2010, 12:59 PM
Sounds like a real good plan. Best dry rock I have found is the pukani rock sold by Bulk Reef Supply. I used this rock along with a small amount of shelf rock also purchased from BRS to do my aquascaping. You can check it out in my tank thread below.

tml52974
01/26/2010, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the positive feed back. I will let the tank mature like fine wine long before I add any critters. Once up and running I'll buy a few chuncks of live rock for the tank and some quality live sand for the refugium. Then thinks go low and slow. I'll make sure I take plenty of pics so everyone can watch things progress.....successfully I hope.

peasofme
01/30/2010, 02:51 PM
yes, i dislike live rock cause of pests