PDA

View Full Version : Clownfish Species vs. Tank Sizes

DivineStler
01/26/2010, 03:32 PM
I'm sure this has been asked several times, but I've tried a couple searches with no luck.

I've got a JBJ 12 GAL DX that just finished cycling. I'm looking to add one (possibly 2) clown. Looking at LiveAquaria.com, almost all say a minimum of 20G is required. I also plan on adding a small goby, so I don't want anything that will bully too much.

I know I can do a small Ocellaris or a True/False Perc... but wanted something a little different.

Would a MALE Maroon be a good option if I only kept 1? My research indicates the males only grow to around 2" max

Would a pair of Black and White Perc be ok?

Pink Skunk, Tomato or any others I missed that might be ok?

Are females generally always bigger than the males, if I just want to get 1?

I'd also appreciate a link to a thread on this topic, if anyone has something bookmarked.

Thanks!

jasonrp104
01/26/2010, 03:41 PM
The maroon wont stay a male if it is alone...No clown will actually. They all become female without a mate.

Myself, I'd only put one perc or oc in there if it was the only tank I had. I'm not too big on putting anything in smaller than a 20 but I know it's been done.

nikon187
01/26/2010, 11:42 PM
+1 .. a lone clown will become female in time. An occelaris or perc would be the best choice

WDLV
01/27/2010, 11:47 AM
Would a MALE Maroon be a good option if I only kept 1? My research indicates the males only grow to around 2" max
Absolutely not.

Would a pair of Black and White Perc be ok?
A pair of melanistic ocellaris would be fine.

Pink Skunk, Tomato or any others I missed that might be ok?
Not for more than a couple months.

Are females generally always bigger than the males, if I just want to get 1?
Pretty much. Some of the saddleback complexes are about the same size. That said, even if you only add one it will grow and it will turn female.

I'd also appreciate a link to a thread on this topic, if anyone has something bookmarked.
Sorry. Can't help you there but it might be under the FAQs.