PDA

View Full Version : which is better lighting?

dcampbell
01/26/2010, 05:18 PM
Hi guys , first of all let me say Ive enjoyed reading through all the info here. I appreciate you all taking time out to help. I have found some lighting with reflectors(T5) at a pretty good price. I have two units to choose from, both retro. 1 is a 6 lamp T5ho with a ballast thats a bf of 1.0 number 2. a 8 lamp unit with a ballast factor of 8.8. it will be going over a 90 gallon 48x18x24 with a 55 gallon sump. I know the 6 lamp unit would be more efficient, but would the 8 lamp have more light? I was thinking of overdriving t8s but the T5 seem like the better option, as in more room, better bulb selection. what do you think? oh by the way I know seperate reflectors are better but these have reflectors for every two bulbs. 95% reflectance specular.

mltnguyen
01/26/2010, 05:27 PM
I think it really depends on what you are planning on keeping, and what light spectrom you prefure. I personlly have a few systems that run T5 HO and I really like the light output.

Keep us posted on what you end up going with.

dcampbell
01/26/2010, 05:32 PM
Im thinking lps and softies as Im kinda new. maybe two or three fish max i like the reef more than the fish LOL

jefft72
01/26/2010, 05:41 PM
It's cheaper to plan and buy for future system needs than to buy something to fit the bill now and replace it later.

With that in mind I am sure that either would allow you to grow most anything.

dcampbell
01/26/2010, 10:42 PM
http://www.goodmart.com/products/1478266.htm these are the lights, pretty much a retro kit . I dont know where you could find anything for less money. I was thinking of wiring the ballast so it was remote.

philosophish
01/27/2010, 06:53 AM
At first glance it may seem like a deal, but its really falls short.

It doesnt include lamps, so right off the bat youll have to add another $150. According to you it doesnt have the right reflectors which are what makes t5's so efficient, so youll lose light here. The same goes with the ballast, so make sure you are at least able to choose a good t5 specific ballast, or your bulbs will not perform as well and will die quicker.

In addition, the light does not look to have been designed with any cooling features, not even passive. Which again affects bulb performance and longevity. If you add it all up you really arent saving any money. And youll have an impossible time trying try to sell it.

If you want to save some dough but get a decent t5 light, check out current-usa units or some of the other new t5 fixtures. Many of these 4 bulb fixtures will likeley perform better, come with bulbs, and can be had for $200 or less.

bevoboy
01/27/2010, 09:14 AM
+1 on what philposophish said. Plus that fixture doesn't appear to have water resistant end caps.

ls1boost
01/27/2010, 09:50 AM
if your not going with sps t5ho is a great choice for many different reasons. as far as the 6 or 8 bulb if you can get the 8 bulbs for not much more than the 6 i would do it but not sure it will make all that much difference imo

rtparty
01/27/2010, 11:55 AM
if your not going with sps t5ho is a great choice for many different reasons. as far as the 6 or 8 bulb if you can get the 8 bulbs for not much more than the 6 i would do it but not sure it will make all that much difference imo

T5HO is a great choice for SPS. IMO it is way better than Halides.