PDA

View Full Version : Apex Firmware Update - 4.02 Beta

clp
01/26/2010, 07:13 PM
If you want to help test the latest firmware for the Apex, then read on. Don't expect this release to be perfect - that is why it is a beta release. If for any reason you are not comfortable putting beta firmware in your controller, I recommend that you wait for the final release.

This release adds the following features:

- Support for PM2 Module
- Preliminary support for Vortech module
- Initial graph page displays last 24 hours.
- Customizable web status page.
- Configuration Load/Save
- Enhanced clock features. Day light savings time added, NTP internet clock set support

The firmware can be downloaded from:

www.neptunesys.com/apex_4_02.zip

Curt

ENS
01/26/2010, 07:30 PM
Curt - I still needed to load the last firmware update. So my question is, does this incorporate everything from the 4.01-11/4/09 update so that a Apex owner would only need to add this new beta update, or would we first need to add the prior 4.01 firmware update? Thanks! Looking forward to installing the PM2.
Evan

kenargo
01/26/2010, 07:42 PM
It is all inclusive; you only need to load this 1 file and you have everything to date (all fixes, all new features, etc).

ENS
01/26/2010, 07:52 PM
Thanks Ken.

phuzzykins
01/26/2010, 08:41 PM
NTP seems to be turned on by default in this release. Like many folks, I offset the Apex clock so that I can use the season table for lighting and still have the lights on while I'm actually home.

As soon as the firmware upgrade completed, the Apex's clock was set to the current local time. I had to go in and change the offset from -5 (EST) to -15

HeneryH
01/26/2010, 09:50 PM
How do you customize the web status page?

kenargo
01/26/2010, 11:01 PM
How do you customize the web status page?

You will notice a drop-down in the status menu; each page coorisponds to a display page so the status will display the status and outlets per the selected page. Use Display Settings to change what each page shows (there are 4 pages).

ZachB
01/27/2010, 12:28 AM
Awesome.

This controller gets better and better. Thanks Curt!

Simon.Kruger
01/27/2010, 07:23 AM
The new version hangs my controller. Firmware and webpage update was successful.

Now everytime I web into it it hangs. I then need to reboot to get the unit working again.

Aquanotes on the iPhone works fine as long as I haven't webbed into it.

Any ideas.

sjwinick
01/27/2010, 08:09 AM
did the beta update with no apparent problems. apex running normally, but there is a problem with my ORP. after updating, the ORP value disappeared from the display. after investigating, it had been disabled. i re-enabled and saved. it reported enabled, but after restarting it went back to disabled.

i re-enabled again and restarted with same result.

i tried re-enabling without restarting. the value for ORP shows up in the display, but it's wrong. value before updating about 340. now shows 530. and doesn't change if i put it in calibration solution

if i try to calibrate from the menu, there is a software bug. the screen shows the ORP calibration screen momentarily and then jumps to the pH calibration screen. this is repeatable. can't get to ORP calibration screen

something broke.

please let me know if anyone has any suggestions as to something to try or workaround?

thanks

sjw

sjwinick
01/27/2010, 08:40 AM
just an added piece of info. i downgraded the code back to the prior release. all worked as before without further enabling or calibration

sjw

clp
01/27/2010, 04:53 PM
The ORP issue has been corrected and the firmware updated. Use this link to download the latest:

Curt

phuzzykins
01/27/2010, 05:41 PM
Curt,

Today none of the devices on the control port (I have a DC8, a DC4HD, and a Lunar Sim) were controlled.

The lights all shut off correctly after the firmware upgrade last night, but didn't power on today. I came home to a dark tank and sleeping fish.

The devices on my EB8 were controlled just fine. I verified that the DCx outlets did not respond to manual control. I had to reboot the Apex base unit in order to get the DCx outlets to respond.

ump
01/27/2010, 07:33 PM
i just loaded the firmware update and it said it was sucessfull but when i did the self test it says revision 4.01 its supose to be 4.02 correct or am i missing something

kenargo
01/27/2010, 07:45 PM
From the network settings screen the latest download (2 replies up from this) should read:

4.02_1F10

ump
01/27/2010, 08:43 PM
i have ran the update 3 times current firmware 4.01_ba09
Sending block: 110 of 110
Sent block: 110 of 110 successful.
Starting Apex
Upload complete

Operation complete.
but still will not show up

revnull
01/27/2010, 09:09 PM
Make sure the path to the aqua4.hex is not pointing to an old release. Click browse and search for the hex file in the release_4.02_100124_1F10 folder.

ump
01/27/2010, 09:36 PM
Make sure the path to the aqua4.hex is not pointing to an old release. Click browse and search for the hex file in the release_4.02_100124_1F10 folder.

thank you thats what it was now i have the new firmware :dance:

sjwinick
01/27/2010, 10:40 PM
thanks for the quick response

the ORP data and display are indeed working fine

the calibration menu selection still fails as i described previously. if i select ORP calibration on the display, it shows the ORP form (without the live readings) for .5 second or so and then jumps to pH calibration

sjw

zoolan70
01/28/2010, 12:26 AM
I was able to update the firmware, but I can't update the web page. I get:

Operation Failed with the following error information:

Unable to connect to the remote server

I can get to the web page as normal, but just can't seem to update them...

Thanks for any help you can provide...

revnull
01/28/2010, 12:35 AM
After the apex firmware is updated you need to give the controller time to reboot before you can push the web update. I had a similar problem. I had to power cycle (unplug the apex from the EB8 and plug it back in) the apex and retry the web update after the apex is back online.

zoolan70
01/28/2010, 12:44 AM
I figured it out. I had the wrong port number entered for the HTTP port. I outsmarted myself by changing it to a very non-standard port.

Thanks for the help!

sjwinick
01/28/2010, 09:13 AM
just some personal opinion on the new status screens. having configurable status is definitely the right idea. to be more meaningful to me, i'd make the following suggestions:

a) status should be just that. status. no need to have any controls. i looking for one place where i can see that everything is the way it's supposed to be, visually with no clicks. the current setting (auto, on, off) is relevant as a displayed value, but doesn't have to be a control. status with control can be a separate screen

b) probably needs to be more horizontally oriented. i have enough devices and objects that i have to scroll the screen to see everything, yet i have plenty of horizontal space. vertical table is convenient, but not the best way to see things. i'd prefer things on a single visual page probably organized by module or the like with some color, more like a dashboard. the widget is more visually useful to me than the web display screen.

c) the screen configuration is the same for the display and the web. not ideal, since the two media are very different. method can still work, but web needs its own choices. obviously, display is space limited. web pages aren't as much. 16 total objects (icons or otherwise) to display is not enough to make the screen complete, so i can't configure one screen to have everything i want to see. the status screen configuration probably needs their own choices, or, instead, if a common configuration is used, there should be more lines of objects on the configuration screen and just make the display a subset using the first two and ignoring the rest used for the web status

d) the resulting output is, to my view, actually nicer on the display than the web despite the web being the better workspace. i'd like to see icons, graphics and color.

e) need way to indicate that an object that is part of the default objects for a module is not being used so that it doesn't appear on any status screens with information that isn't meaningful. this could be done by separate flag or by the control type in outlet setup having an addition choice "not used". true for the VarSpd, etc. i'd be happier with less configuration if i could simply not see the "not used" objects and get everything else organized on to one visual screen with icons and text that didn't require scrolling for most systems, even if i couldn't control the details

thanks for listening. love the product

sjw

JonnyD91
01/28/2010, 10:31 AM
just some personal opinion on the new status screens. having configurable status is definitely the right idea. to be more meaningful to me, i'd make the following suggestions:

a) status should be just that. status. no need to have any controls. i looking for one place where i can see that everything is the way it's supposed to be, visually with no clicks. the current setting (auto, on, off) is relevant as a displayed value, but doesn't have to be a control. status with control can be a separate screen

b) probably needs to be more horizontally oriented. i have enough devices and objects that i have to scroll the screen to see everything, yet i have plenty of horizontal space. vertical table is convenient, but not the best way to see things. i'd prefer things on a single visual page probably organized by module or the like with some color, more like a dashboard. the widget is more visually useful to me than the web display screen.

c) the screen configuration is the same for the display and the web. not ideal, since the two media are very different. method can still work, but web needs its own choices. obviously, display is space limited. web pages aren't as much. 16 total objects (icons or otherwise) to display is not enough to make the screen complete, so i can't configure one screen to have everything i want to see. the status screen configuration probably needs their own choices, or, instead, if a common configuration is used, there should be more lines of objects on the configuration screen and just make the display a subset using the first two and ignoring the rest used for the web status

d) the resulting output is, to my view, actually nicer on the display than the web despite the web being the better workspace. i'd like to see icons, graphics and color.

e) need way to indicate that an object that is part of the default objects for a module is not being used so that it doesn't appear on any status screens with information that isn't meaningful. this could be done by separate flag or by the control type in outlet setup having an addition choice "not used". true for the VarSpd, etc. i'd be happier with less configuration if i could simply not see the "not used" objects and get everything else organized on to one visual screen with icons and text that didn't require scrolling for most systems, even if i couldn't control the details

thanks for listening. love the product

sjw

Keep in mind this is an embeded web server. Doing most of those things concerning graphics and such will only take more resources and make it slower. I take speed over looks anyday. As is now it is slower than browsing the regular internet.

sjwinick
01/28/2010, 11:33 AM
agreed. guess i don't actually find my apex slow, but i understand the point

only response would be that the goals aren't mutually exclusive and many are design options with little system cost in generating a page. don't think the apex is code constrained and the icon bit mapped graphics are probably already in there.

sjw

JonnyD91
01/28/2010, 12:07 PM
agreed. guess i don't actually find my apex slow, but i understand the point

only response would be that the goals aren't mutually exclusive and many are design options with little system cost in generating a page. don't think the apex is code constrained and the icon bit mapped graphics are probably already in there.

sjw

you could always parse the xml files and create your own web application so suit your needs. You can run a web container locally and just extract data from the Apex

HeneryH
01/28/2010, 01:46 PM
The Apex shouldn't be processor or memory constrained after all the marketing that went into how much better, faster, powerful, expandable the Apex is over the RK. On performance though, the graph pages have always taken forever to display. I guess the flash or whatever taxes the processor.

I would like to see the web status page be customizable separate from the display unit four pages. After all, the web UI is a totally different experience from the DU UI.

phuzzykins
01/28/2010, 02:03 PM
the apex shouldn't be processor or memory constrained after all the marketing that went into how much better, faster, powerful, expandable the apex is over the rk.

qft. :)

jjstecchino
01/28/2010, 08:38 PM
A couple of issues with the new firmware:

Graphs:

The 24h graphs display data up to the actual time - zimezone offset. Example it is 9pm, timezone set to -5 (EST), graph display data up to 4pm instead of 9pm (9pm - 5 =4pm)
Setup has a PM1 with an ORP probe. Apex has 2 ph probes. Graphs show Temp, 1st ph with correct data, 2nd ph with correct data, 3rd ph instead of amp with bogus data and ORP with correct data. 7 days graph skips the 3rd ph/Amp graph. The apex was flashed and rebooted by power cycling

iPhone Aquanotes:
Was working well with previous firmware version, now ig any graph is accessed it causes the apex to reboot

kenargo
01/28/2010, 09:13 PM
Thanks for reporting these; I'll get the to Curt so he can investigate.

rsuplido
01/29/2010, 07:37 AM
Is the ramp bug fixed in this version?
Thread: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1755047

ump
01/29/2010, 09:30 AM
Is the ramp bug fixed in this version?
Thread: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1755047

well mine is a little better it now ramps for 19 minutes before it was only 4 mins

kenargo
01/29/2010, 10:30 AM
well mine is a little better it now ramps for 19 minutes before it was only 4 mins

Does this mean it's working correctly? Sorry, I need to ask since I'm not sure 19 minutes is correct or not for your current program...

ump
01/30/2010, 09:32 AM
i have the ramp set for 60 mins yesterday was the first time it went through the ramp cycle with the new firmware it hit 19 mins and restarted the ramp in the morning but at the night cycle went fine that is also on a 60 min ramp i am watching it now but all seems fine now at 30 mins so maby it had a hickup but i will post back when its done

ump
01/30/2010, 10:10 AM
Does this mean it's working correctly? Sorry, I need to ask since I'm not sure 19 minutes is correct or not for your current program...

ok it ramped the 60 mins i have it set at perfect no restarts

ReddingReef
01/30/2010, 02:37 PM
I installed the new version along with the web pages upgrade. In the graphing section, there is the normal temp, pH, ORP instead of showing the amps used for the two EB8's it displays two extra pH graphs (I don't have two pH monitors). Any suggestions?

jjstecchino
01/30/2010, 06:12 PM
I installed the new version along with the web pages upgrade. In the graphing section, there is the normal temp, pH, ORP instead of showing the amps used for the two EB8's it displays two extra pH graphs (I don't have two pH monitors). Any suggestions?

Mine did the same thing, however after a few days the extra phantom ph graph switched to Amps again.

Also the time on the graphs which was initially off by 5 hours (I thought 5 hours was related to my timezone being GST-5) is now right. (it is 7 pm and the last graph point is at 19:00 wich is right)

Wait a few days and see what happen.

sjwinick
01/30/2010, 06:42 PM
had the same thing. it cleared later in the same day after accessing other pages and using different parameters for the graphs.

ReddingReef
01/30/2010, 08:03 PM
We'll see what happens overnight. It has been 12 hrs since the update and the problem is this there.
Thanks

shinninja
01/30/2010, 10:01 PM
I really like the idea of controlling the Vortech module. It looks like the ability to control the Vortech module will be a software thing and not hardware? I was looking to buy the Apex controller but was a bit hesitant and was going to wait. Can anyone confirm if its just a firmware update and not some new hardware? Thanks.

ZachB
01/30/2010, 10:10 PM
I really like the idea of controlling the Vortech module. It looks like the ability to control the Vortech module will be a software thing and not hardware? I was looking to buy the Apex controller but was a bit hesitant and was going to wait. Can anyone confirm if its just a firmware update and not some new hardware? Thanks.

From my understanding it will be controlled through the Apex software (firmware update required) using an additional piece of hardware, as it will interface wirelessly with the Vortech's controller.

kenargo
01/30/2010, 10:56 PM
From my understanding it will be controlled through the Apex software (firmware update required) using an additional piece of hardware, as it will interface wirelessly with the Vortech's controller.

Correct; it will be a new module (like the PM1, PM2, etc) and communicates with the Apex via an AquaBus connection and to the Vortec via the Vortec wireless communications chip.

tamu
01/30/2010, 10:57 PM
Correct, there will be a new hardware module due to the need for RF to communicate with the Vortechs.

shinninja
01/30/2010, 11:43 PM
Thanks guys. So I can buy the current Apex controller and later buy the module or whatever to add to my setup. NICE!!

Ronyx
01/30/2010, 11:51 PM
Correct, there will be a new hardware module due to the need for RF to communicate with the Vortechs.will there be a wired port on the controller so that non-wireless vortech's (MP20/MP10) can be controlled?

aentrop
01/31/2010, 02:43 AM
will there be a wired port on the controller so that non-wireless vortech's (MP20/MP10) can be controlled?

NO. Its only for the wireless vortech's according to the last press release.

-------------------

Can someone explain what the different status pages are?
Can we customize them? How?

One mine each page shows either 4 random items, or no items...

Ronyx
01/31/2010, 10:26 AM
[QUOTE=aentrop;16492279]NO. Its only for the wireless vortech's according to the last press release.

Bummer. It would be nice to mange my MP10 through the Apex as that would bring pretty much everything under one integrated control system.

Wall_Tank
01/31/2010, 09:28 PM
Something odd happening with the beta...

Seems to only happen to the time based events. Tonight it happened just about 22:08. Nothing significant about that time in the program.

Sump light was the only light on. All of a sudden, the sump light went off. and all of my Metal Halides came on. When I looked at the status indicators on the display, it did infact show that all of those outlets were on. I rebooted the Apex with a power cycle, and when it powered up, the status page now showed that the outlets were back in the off sight. It took quite a while for all of the outlets to respond.

Sump Light - this is on an EBB8, it responded pretty quick after reboot.
MH - 2 of these are on a DC8. These took about 5 minutes to turn back off.
MH - 1 is on a DC4.

I did try to force the outlet to OFF, but nothing happened. How long after a reboot does it take before the "Control" port starts talking?

I'm wondering if this might be tied to the auto clock update? How do we know what time the apex tries to do a NTP update? I disabled this for now, we'll see what happens tomorrow night.

aquamanic
01/31/2010, 09:57 PM
If you look in your XML outlet log, it will show the time and the outlet states. See if the time suddenly jumped around 22:08.

ReddingReef
02/01/2010, 08:24 AM
It took 48 hours for the two AMP graphs to correct themselves. I've been monitoring this several times a day since Saturday morning when I made the firmware upgrade. The time on the graphs is now also correct.

Wall_Tank
02/01/2010, 09:23 PM
So to followup tonight, at 22:08:53, strange things happened again. This time I was watching. This would have been pretty close to exactly the 24 hours from the last reboot. I was watching the display when this happened. For a split second, the time on the display flickered....It did not flicker long enough to read.

Here is the outlet log from this time period. All of the outlet states seen at 22:08:53 are the "Daytime" States. 3 seconds later, all of the outlets turn back to the correct state.

Changes to the program from last night
1) Disabled the Automatic Time Updates
2) All of my light statements had a
"Min Time 25:00 Then Off"
"Min Time 30:00 Then On"
I removed the Min On Time statements, which is probably why the outlets switched back after 3 seconds.

<record>
<date>02/01/2010 22:08:53</date>
<name>Stream_6000</name>
<value>PF1</value>
</record>

<record>
<name>Strean_Nano</name>
<value>PF3</value>
</record>

<record>
<name>Light_MH1</name>
<value>ON</value>
</record>

<record>
<name>Light_MH2</name>
<value>ON</value>
</record>

<record>
<name>LiterMeter</name>
<value>OFF</value>
</record>

<record>
<name>Light_Sump</name>
<value>OFF</value>
</record>

<record>
<name>Light_Frag</name>
<value>ON</value>
</record>

<record>
<name>Surf1_E1</name>
<value>PF3</value>
</record>

<record>
<name>Surf2_E2</name>
<value>PF2</value>
</record>

<record>
<date>02/01/2010 22:08:56</date>
<name>Stream_6000</name>
<value>PF2</value>
</record>

<record>
<name>Strean_Nano</name>
<value>PF4</value>
</record>

<record>
<name>Light_MH1</name>
<value>OFF</value>
</record>

<record>
<name>Light_MH2</name>
<value>OFF</value>
</record>

<record>
<name>FragWave_Pmp</name>
<value>ON</value>
</record>

<record>
<name>Light_Frag</name>
<value>OFF</value>
</record>

<record>
<name>Surf1_E1</name>
<value>PF4</value>
</record>

<record>
<name>Surf2_E2</name>
<value>OFF</value>
</record>

<record>
<date>02/01/2010 22:08:57</date>
<name>FragWave_Pmp</name>
<value>OFF</value>
</record>

clp
02/02/2010, 06:40 PM
Wall Tank,
Please contact support@neptunesys.com as I'd like to know more about your configuration. I don't think that the issue is related to the time server as updates occur every 18 hours or so.

Curt

clp
02/02/2010, 06:42 PM
The issue with the timezone shift in the logs is caused by the internal date stored in datalogs being the GMT time rather than the local time. The problem will go away as new logs are generated.

Curt

ENS
02/02/2010, 08:00 PM
I still experience the same problems as with the last firmware version, where my Apex regularily indicates a short power loss of 5 to 30'ish seconds, although it didn't actually lose power. It seems to momentarily be losing communication with the attached EC8 at random times, without particular reason, causing it to think it lost power. I know others have reported this issue on prior firmware versions. Also, my amp readings only show-up for higher amp items -- it registers 0 amps for items that should have between .1 and 1.0 - making it appear like everything is off when some items are on. For example, a solenoid for rodi topoff, led moon lights, and a small icecap variable fan. Minor issues, but maybe they can be addressed.

Evan

aquamanic
02/02/2010, 09:32 PM
The issue with the EB8 reporting the wrong power and going to 0 can probably be fixed by Neptune if they can telnet into your system. I don't think it's the firmware - they can adjust some things in the EB8. You should call Neptune support.

kenargo
02/02/2010, 10:30 PM
The issue with the EB8 reporting the wrong power and going to 0 can probably be fixed by Neptune if they can telnet into your system. I don't think it's the firmware - they can adjust some things in the EB8. You should call Neptune support.

Correct; there is a way to calibrate the zero point for an EB8; call them and they will walk you through the procedure.

ENS
02/03/2010, 02:15 PM
aquamanic and Kenargo ... thanks, I'll get in touch with Curt.

clp
02/03/2010, 06:13 PM
I've just release a new revision of the firmware. Just download this link again and it will pull the latest version of 4.02:

The bug fixes include:
- A few conductivity module fixes/enhancements
- Graphing issue fixed.

Curt

sjwinick
02/04/2010, 08:41 AM
have the new code loading and running. two minor bugs to report.

first one was in earlier code and still present. i can't select ORP calibration. when the menu choice is selected, the form jumps to the pH calibration screen

second one is the "re-email" parameter on network page. looks like the stored value is a signed byte and there is no check on the input. if i enter a value greater than 127, it goes negative

a hopefully easy request: the graph page now has a default when you enter it as the previous 24 hours. this is nice. can you do the same for the seven day graph when selected? or just add a check box to the screen to say "last 7 days" or "last 24 hours", etc. the graph is great, but it takes a lot of clicks to actually get the last 7 days

hope this helps. good luck

sjw

clp
02/04/2010, 06:54 PM
The first 2 bugs have been corrected. You can download the latest from:

Curt

sjwinick
02/04/2010, 07:27 PM
yep. happy to confirm that both appear to be working correctly.

thanks for the prompt response

sjw

master yoda
02/05/2010, 08:26 AM
Ok guys i know im new here. But i have noticed the luner cycle to be only an hour or two on the seasonal setup? Is this correct? IMO it isnt. Just wanted to bring it to your att. Thank you for all the updates and making this an unsurpassed Controller.

tangstank
02/05/2010, 11:52 AM
I just upgraded with the latest & seems to work fine. So far so good.
But I do still see problems with Java script on the web page with drop down menus sometimes not triggering.

clp
02/05/2010, 05:26 PM
Another update:

This version fixes a bug if the leap second value is set to a non-zero value. The Apex clock would momentarily read incorrectly for a second or two when the clock was being adjusted.

Curt

mids1999
02/05/2010, 07:03 PM
Using the above posted update.

I am having an issue with the graphs only partially loading.
(sometimes I only get temp, sometimes temp and pH, sometimes temp, pH and orp, but amps is always missing.)

All parameters are there in the data log.

Did you remove the amps graph?

How do you customize the status page?

Wall_Tank
02/05/2010, 07:45 PM
Another update:

This version fixes a bug if the leap second value is set to a non-zero value. The Apex clock would momentarily read incorrectly for a second or two when the clock was being adjusted.

Curt

Setting the leap second back to zero did fix the problem.....no time jumping tonight. Thanks. I'm doing this update now too.

jimmyd01
02/05/2010, 08:24 PM
Just updated too and lost my Amp graph

Hawkdl2
02/06/2010, 03:29 PM
I updated the firmware fine, but get this every time I try updating the web pages:

"Operation failed with the following error information:

The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive."

Anyone know what I need to do to update the web pages?

And I've lost my AMP graphs for my two EB8s and instead have two new pH graphs both of which have "no date for the selected period".

aquamanic
02/06/2010, 04:23 PM
Larry - is the PC you're running the firmware loader on connected via LAN or wireless?

Hawkdl2
02/06/2010, 06:04 PM
wired LAN. It's worked fine for the last three firmware updates.

aquamanic
02/06/2010, 06:09 PM
You might try wireless. Strange as it may sound, I had a different problem a few releases ago and running the PC wireless enabled the web page update to complete. Curt fixed that issue and I'm not saying this will work but it can't hurt. The web pages are far less critical than the firmware in terms of going all the way through - you can't brick your system if it crashes mid way like you can with the firmware - they're just a bunch of flat files.

jimmyd01
02/06/2010, 06:15 PM
Just updated too and lost my Amp graph

Graph came back today, Time was 5 hrs off after update. Can home from work today and time was 5 hrs. too early again?

Wall_Tank
02/06/2010, 10:55 PM
Graph came back today, Time was 5 hrs off after update. Can home from work today and time was 5 hrs. too early again?

Check your timezone setting. The new firmware has automatic network time synchronization.

jimmyd01
02/06/2010, 11:13 PM
Check your timezone setting. The new firmware has automatic network time synchronization.

Time zone is -9...what the heck is that supposed to mean?

RussM
02/06/2010, 11:28 PM
Time zone is -9...what the heck is that supposed to mean?The timezone setting is the number of hours ahead or behind Greenwich Mean Time of your location. Florida is 5 hours behind GMT, so you should set the time zone to -5.

The latest Apex firmware has a feature that synchronizes the controller's time setting with trusted & accurate time sources on on Internet. Those sources provide timestamps using GMT. The time zone setting offsets that value so the Apex uses your local time.

Hawkdl2
02/07/2010, 01:02 AM
You might try wireless. Strange as it may sound, I had a different problem a few releases ago and running the PC wireless enabled the web page update to complete. Curt fixed that issue and I'm not saying this will work but it can't hurt. The web pages are far less critical than the firmware in terms of going all the way through - you can't brick your system if it crashes mid way like you can with the firmware - they're just a bunch of flat files.

I tried wireless from my laptop, but I got this:

The remote name could not be resolved: 'apex'"

I can log in from my laptop just fine.

mids1999
02/07/2010, 01:40 AM
tried to load graphs tonight and I get error loading gile setamp.xml where the amp graph should be.

Hit reload and got the amp graph to show but got some .xml error where pH graph should be.

Hit reload again and was shown only orp and amp graphs.

Hit reload one more time and saw all the graphs.

aquamanic
02/07/2010, 06:45 AM
Larry - in the utility loader, are you using the proper IP address and port for the controller - i.e not //apex but the actual IP address?

aquamanic
02/07/2010, 06:47 AM
mids1999 - there's a browser fix for Firefox and IE that has fixed a similar problem with the XML pages loading properly. Russ posted the details here and I've included them in the New User Handbook. You might try that and see if it helps.

Hawkdl2
02/07/2010, 08:41 AM
Alan, I've been using "apex", as I did for the firmware part of the upgrade and the previous updates. I will try the IP address.

Simon.Kruger
02/07/2010, 10:07 AM
Ever since I upgraded to 4.02_2C10 i've been having problems with graphs and actually total webpage problems (Refreshes). Previous version was awesome and very reliable. This is a step back. Is there anyway to downgrade the firmware.

aquamanic
02/07/2010, 10:20 AM
Simon - look at post #79 and see if that helps at all.

HeneryH
02/07/2010, 11:07 AM
EST = -6 and EDT = -5
CST = -7 and CDT = -6
MST = -8 and MDT = -7
PST = -9 and PDT = -8

Most computers allow you to set your time-zone and click the "observes DST" flag to keep the math to a minimum.

Tech devices are often set to PST by default since all the good tech comes from CA :)

Simon.Kruger
02/07/2010, 11:07 AM
I'm using Google Chrome but I'll see if i can try it on another machine.

Thanks for the heads up.

I love the APEX. Really changed my thoughts on aqua controllers.

aquamanic
02/07/2010, 11:26 AM
Can you try it with IE on your PC? I'd do that and see if anything changes.

Simon.Kruger
02/07/2010, 11:50 AM
IE is way better. Thanks for the tip.

aquamanic
02/07/2010, 12:03 PM
there's a registry fix for IE that should make it go away 100%. Look at the New User Handbook in the Q&A section http://reeftech.webs.com for step by step instructions.

ENS
02/07/2010, 12:52 PM
Updated yesterday evening to the newest firmware, and since my Apex has completely frozen 3 times. Display shows data that doesn't change, no buttons work and internet/network access frozen out. Only way to fix or access is to hard reboot by pulling the power. Never experienced this with problem the prior releases.

ENS
02/07/2010, 12:59 PM
Correction ... 4 times - just happened again 3 minutes after rebooting it. Each time it freezes, it freezes the clock on the display at the time it frooze.

aquamanic
02/07/2010, 01:46 PM
Did you try to reload the firmware? If so and it's still happening, I"d go back to whatever version you last ran without problems.

ENS
02/07/2010, 02:36 PM
Did you try to reload the firmware? If so and it's still happening, I"d go back to whatever version you last ran without problems.

Good idea, but yeah, I did try that. After the 6th freeze, I just went back to the prior release, and it hasn't had an issue since. Will wait for the next fix. Need to use the new firmware once the bugs are out, as I have a new PM2 and probe on its way.

Hawkdl2
02/07/2010, 04:27 PM
Larry - in the utility loader, are you using the proper IP address and port for the controller - i.e not //apex but the actual IP address?

Alan,

I tried the actual IP address and I still get:

The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive."

Wireless or wired, "Apex" or IP address. I re-uploaded the firmware and it again went smoothly.

aquamanic
02/07/2010, 04:56 PM
So are you saying you've successfully loaded both the firmware and the web pages?

Hawkdl2
02/07/2010, 06:47 PM
No, I got the form ware loaded no problem - twice, but the web pages will not load.

aquamanic
02/07/2010, 07:01 PM
I don't know, about out of ideas. One last thing if you're game. Re-download the release again and extract the zip. No need to reload the firmware, just try the web pages. Also, are any files loading or are you getting that error before even the first web page file loads?

Hawkdl2
02/07/2010, 09:14 PM
Before the first page loads. I'll try downloading the zip file again.

OK, I just tried re-down loading the files and it still fails on web page update. This is what it's doing before it fails:

Uploading file: all.js...

aquamanic
02/08/2010, 03:54 PM
Don't know. Out of ideas. Call Neptune and see what Curt has to say. Feels like a timing issue but I have not a clue as to what it could be.

Hawkdl2
02/08/2010, 07:25 PM
Thanks. You've spent too much effort on this anyway and you should be working on the "advanced programming" volume of the manual!

I'm in touch with Curt and I'm sure he'll figure it out.

clp
02/08/2010, 09:15 PM
New Update:

Bug fixes include:
- Profile restore issue
- Amp graph not being displayed correctly in some cases.
- Probe calibration issue.

Curt

Krakonosh
02/09/2010, 05:24 PM
Hi Curt,

I can confirm that the profile restore works now.

However I have small issue with PM1. Every time I unplug the module and re-plug it in different Aquabus port it looses all calibration settings, very annoying. Every firmware update also wipes it out. The module always comes back as PM1_5. Is there any way we could retain the calibration values based on module ID.
I understand if the module came back as PM1_6, but ..
Last night I loaded the above update and I ended up with two display modules in the list, that's first time that happened.
Also when I tried to calibrate pHx5 it was coming up with conductivity procedure until I disabled the pHx5 and then re-enabled it.

Anyway I love the concept of the Aquabus, my main tank is upstairs and fishroom with all the gear in the basement.

Is there a plan to have Aquanotes working with Apex? I would love to have access to all the settings including calibration values (slope , offset),..

Another bug I discovered when I first jumped into 4.2 beta is that if you update your powerbars to 007 it will throw off the accuracy of the amp readings by about 1 amp (down). Both my EB8s are at 006 and working fine. They're 50' apart.

My PM1 is only at s/w version 002 is that correct ?

Thanks.

sjwinick
02/09/2010, 06:31 PM
just installed my new PM2 along with the software rev just released. module is ok and seems to go through calibration correctly. dry gives readings in the 20's and the liquid value is in the low 600's. however, the cond readings displayed are in the single digits. i am using the salinity range and set the comp to 2.1 (although i'm not clear how i'm supposed to pick this value)

any ideas what could be wrong? i have tried the calibration procedure a few times with similar results

thx

sjw

sjwinick
02/09/2010, 08:44 PM
further to my last post, i am also seeing periodic (about once a day) email alarms where the alarm condition does not appear to be true. this didn't happen before the betas. here is one of the messages with some of the middle lines left out:

Alarm Statement: If Outlet PumpFlowSW = OFF Then ON

Feb 09 2106 20:07:51
Temp pH ORP
79.1 8.12 332
Tmpx5 pHx5
54.6 8.17
Condx6
VarSpd1_I1 is OFF Manual
VarSpd2_I2 is OFF Manual
VarSpd3_I3 is OFF Manual
VarSpd4_I4 is OFF Manual
SndAlm_I6 is OFF Auto
SndWrn_I7 is OFF Auto
EmailAlm_I5 is OFF Auto
PumpFlowSW is ON Auto
NotUsed_4_7 is OFF Manual
MainPump is ON Auto
Power Failed: Feb 09 2010 20:06:57
Power Restored: Feb 09 2010 20:07:26
Power OK: LR_EB8_3 (0 Minutes - 02.1 Amps) Power OK: Gar_EB8_4 (0 Minutes - 03.0

you can see in the message that PumpFlowSW is actually on, yet the alarm says it's off. it's always the same alarm trigger. there is a DEFER 30 on this alarm.

btw, you can see the COND value in the header as 7.3

thx

sjw

mikebow16
02/09/2010, 08:55 PM
Just out of curiosity what are you using for a pump flow switch?

sjwinick
02/09/2010, 09:05 PM
it's a commercial grade flow meter. very expensive, but it works very well. gives me good net flow readings as well as an alarm point. haven't seen anything cheaper that does the job:

VKP 4050 R flowmeter with switch, variable area type,
universal mounting orientation, 2-13 GPM flow range for
water, with adjustable setpoint 200V / 5A Bistable Reed
Switch, 1" NPT process connection.

from a company called flow-network

http://www.flow-network.com/

sjw

tamu
02/09/2010, 09:20 PM
Interesting that both your EB8s are showing 0 total minutes as well.

clp
02/09/2010, 09:32 PM
sjwinick,
Shut off temperature compensation for the cond. probe as it doesn't look like there is temperature probe installed in the PM2. The email me be because the controller reset? Email support@neptunesys.com the info in http://apex/syslog.txt.

Krakonosh,
The calibration constants for the PM1/PM2 are stored in the modules themselves. Updating the firmware will have no effect. Email me the steps taken to make this occur. If the EB8 current is not reading correctly email support@neptunesys.com, and give you the instructions on how to zero/calibrate the EB8.

Curt

sjwinick
02/09/2010, 10:44 PM
sent the syslog.txt to your email as requested. yes, the unit is restarting on a regular basis

i set the comp to zero. the COND value dropped to 5.6

i infer from your comment that the temp comp is tied to the probe temp on the pm2 specifically. if the temp comp is required, i could always add another or move the temp probe from the main apex control to the pm2

thx

sjw

hotrod122
02/10/2010, 01:48 PM
does this update include the ability to update or change the season table yet?

Creetin
02/12/2010, 08:01 AM
My apex keeps freezing up when I am in the web page. Its fine for manual controll, But when I am in the web page and I want to configure an outlet 8 out of 10 times it freezes up. All this started whe i upgraded firmware.

aquamanic
02/12/2010, 09:39 AM
When you say "freezes" do you mean the page stops loading and you have to reload/refresh the page? What browser are you using?

ENS
02/12/2010, 10:42 AM
I'm having similar issue as Creetin. My freeze is a complete freeze of the Apex. Not only does the web access become unavailable, the actual Apex freezes. The buttons on the display do nothing and data on the dispay freezes in time. The base has to be unplugged and hard rebooted to get working again.

swearint
02/12/2010, 11:06 AM
Have you tried to telnet in when it freezes? If you can, you could issue the 'reboot' command.

Todd

Creetin
02/12/2010, 01:25 PM
When you say "freezes" do you mean the page stops loading and you have to reload/refresh the page? What browser are you using?

Yes. Just the web page freezes, The controller is fine.

gonzapa
02/12/2010, 01:30 PM
Curt
is it a way to disable the temperature probe in the PM1/PM2 (I dont have a second temp probe) so it does not show in the graph section?

aquamanic
02/12/2010, 01:54 PM
Creetin - http://reeftech.webs.com Download the handbook and look in the section "Common problems" for the topic on graph pages hanging.

Creetin
02/13/2010, 06:57 AM
Thanks!! Got er figured out I believe, Its working now.

Cathy8424
02/13/2010, 10:44 AM
Great Improvements, the main one I have been waiting for (save/load)!!!! The last firm ware version worked great. It added features that were extremely important and helpful, I love the pages! Thank you, thank you, thank you....

I have a minor problem with the Display Set Up for pages. The last set of modules displays off the page. They are far enough over that you can not get to the drop down box to make any changes to it.

I have a request for future updates. Pages, I love the pages. I like how they come in with the firmware upgrade, and I don't want to mess with them. But, I would love it if we can add some custom pages of our own, and name them. I would love to have a couple pages that show just the lights, and one that shows heat and cool. Those are the things that I most commonly operate in a manual mode. And with as many as I have, it would be very helpful to have them grouped together!

Thank you!

aquamanic
02/13/2010, 04:55 PM
I have a minor problem with the Display Set Up for pages. The last set of modules displays off the page. They are far enough over that you can not get to the drop down box to make any changes to it.

Are you talking about the "icon" line in the Display Setup page? If so, can you scroll your browser window to the right? If you have a wheel mouse, you can hold the CTRL key and move the wheel to zoom in/out, effectively shrinking the page. Will that work?

Krakonosh
02/13/2010, 10:13 PM
I have the same issue, zooming to 125% gets rid of it.
Minor esthetical issue, you can still pull it down and change it by clicking in the middle of the box.

IE8 on Win7

Griffer
02/14/2010, 02:58 PM
Logging in to my Apex frequently causes the Apex to reset. Anyone else have this problem?

kenargo
02/14/2010, 08:21 PM
My PM1 is only at s/w version 002 is that correct ?

Yes, that is correct.

Is there a plan to have Aquanotes working with Apex?

There is something newer and much better in the works; there is no plan to update AquaNotes to support the Apex.

kenargo
02/14/2010, 08:26 PM
Curt
is it a way to disable the temperature probe in the PM1/PM2 (I dont have a second temp probe) so it does not show in the graph section?

Go into the Temp menu, select the Enable Temp probe menu, use up/down to select the temp probe you want to disable, select and disable it.

Lightsluvr
02/15/2010, 07:56 AM
I was able to update the firmware with no problems. However, the web page update failed twice - unable to connect to remote server error. I closed the update utility and re-opened it. The webpage update then proceeded perfectly.

Lightsluvr
02/15/2010, 08:35 AM
With the latest firmware version, I am experiencing the same graph problems as described with previous versions in this thread. I guess I'll wait to see if the graphs "heal" themselves as has been reported by others...

LL

aquamanic
02/15/2010, 01:30 PM
I was able to update the firmware with no problems. However, the web page update failed twice - unable to connect to remote server er

Don't know if this was the reason but the base unit has to reboot and startup after the firmware loads but before it gets back on the network. Perhaps you were trying to load the web pages before it was ready. Takes a couple of minutes.

ENS
02/15/2010, 05:50 PM
Yesterday I had updated the most recent Apex firmware, and this time the version isn't causing my Apex to freeze like the prior beta version, so all good so far. Notice same problem someone else posted, when viewing, via web interface, the display setup screen, the right side of the displayed boxes appears cut off even though the IE window is open wide to the right past the boxes.

Also today installed my PM2 and probe! Quick easy set-up! Absolutely need to calibrate before first use -- no pre-calibration before it shipped. The reading was way way off, so make sure you order calibration solution with your probe. A suggestion for the firmware - wold be nice if i could choose to display the Conductivety reading in a Salinity number. Now working well ... at least for the past 10 minutes. I also ordered a second temp probe. Only tiny issue is the two temp probes, in the sump almost next to each other, are off from each other by .7 degress. I calibrated them to be the same, but still generally read .1 different.

ENS
02/15/2010, 05:54 PM
One tiny possible suggestion to Curt for the next update for Data display ... in the Data display page via web browser, would be great to allow a toogle setting to view most RECENT first in reverse order, versus having to scroll down to the bottom to see the current data.

DBSAM
02/15/2010, 08:52 PM
Anyone use a Mac to upgrade?

I am getting a PM2 on Wednesday and new to upgrade the firmware for my Apex to use it, right? So anyway, I installed MONO that the readme file describes. I manually added the IP address and I double checked it with the arp -a command and the new IP address is there. I then tried the Apex Flash Utility.exe, but that is a windows file and does not run on Snow Leopard. Any ideas on how to procede?

Thanks

Cathy8424
02/15/2010, 11:54 PM
Are you talking about the "icon" line in the Display Setup page? If so, can you scroll your browser window to the right? If you have a wheel mouse, you can hold the CTRL key and move the wheel to zoom in/out, effectively shrinking the page. Will that work?

This is what I mean, and there are no scrowl bars to bring it into view. The ones on the far right are cut off and can't be accessed. Shrinking the page does not change the display, it just makes the whole page smaller.

http://www.saltbucket.com/d/17818-1/ApexDisplay.jpg

ENS
02/16/2010, 12:02 AM
Exact same issue Cathy8424 posted.

aquamanic
02/16/2010, 06:42 AM
This is something with the latest firmware. Are you on 2D10 (look at top of any XML report)? I installed 2D10 last night and am seeing the same thing. I was on either 1A10 or 1E10 (can't remember) and it worked OK. I'll send a message to Neptune.

DBSAM
02/16/2010, 06:47 AM
Curt helped unstick my MONO problem with my Mac, but not that Apple would want to hear this...I switched over to one or my PCs and had no problem updating firmware or webpages. Everything stated update success, but my webpages when I log on are all in text. Any ideas on how to fix?
David

DBSAM
02/16/2010, 07:11 AM
I am on 2D10. Also, power restored shows a time in the future. Anyone else seen this? My previous version worked fine.

Cathy8424
02/16/2010, 09:43 AM
Since installing the last firmware update, I am regularly having problems with the controller losing connection to the last two PX100s. It doesn't show them or turn the fans on/off. I have to reboot the controller a few times to get them back on-line.

This happened one other time some time ago, but had not happened again until the firmware update?

gonzapa
02/16/2010, 11:23 AM
Curt
I rarely use the menu in the controller in favor to use the web interface.
Are you planing to update the web interface and provide access to all settings available in the controller menue? It would be really nice to have all options available there

aquamanic
02/16/2010, 06:04 PM
Cathy, ENS - change your font size a little. I changed mine from 16 to 14 and fixed the problem. Talked with Curt and he's making a permanent fix but this should get you around it for now.

mic03167
02/16/2010, 09:58 PM
On the graphs page PH2 (label) shows as PH. Graph is correct for both PH & PH2 but both ar labeled PH.

Any ideas?

Cathy8424
02/16/2010, 11:05 PM
Cathy, ENS - change your font size a little. I changed mine from 16 to 14 and fixed the problem. Talked with Curt and he's making a permanent fix but this should get you around it for now.

I am not quite sure where to change this text size?

Thanks,
Cathy

aquamanic
02/17/2010, 07:12 AM
I wasn't very clear. You're changing the font size in your browser. I run IE8 and it's in Tools - Internet Options - Fonts. If you run Firefox or IE6 you'll have to dig around a little but it's there. Curt is going to release a fix for it in the next day or so.

Cathy8424
02/17/2010, 09:29 AM
My PX1000's have been off every morning since the Firmware upgrade. They are off again this morning.

The two our of the Apex work, but the two that are piggy-backed from the 2nd PX100's are the ones that are not working correctly.

Aquamanic, thanks for the clarification on the font size area.

Krakonosh
02/17/2010, 06:09 PM
On the graphs page PH2 (label) shows as PH. Graph is correct for both PH & PH2 but both ar labeled PH.

Any ideas?

Same here, I got 2 temperature, 2 pH and 2 Amp graphs, all labeled the same.
This definitely has to be fixed.

kenargo
02/17/2010, 06:40 PM
Same here, I got 2 temperature, 2 pH and 2 Amp graphs, all labeled the same.
This definitely has to be fixed.

Yes, the graph titles are static (currently) showing the type of value being graphed) vs the name of the probe. Not sure if this will make this release but it is on the list for sure.

clp
02/17/2010, 07:01 PM
New Update:

Bug fixes include:
- Amp graph issue fixed
- optimized web page loads for Safari/Firefox

Curt

DBSAM
02/17/2010, 07:47 PM
Curt,

Latest update fixed my problems loading pages in Safari. Beautiful!!!

I only have base temp graph, cond graph and amp graph, so far. WIll the others appear after delay?

With the PM2, I connected my only temp sensor to the PM2 with cond, is it possible to remove the base temp probe so it doesn't show up in status as 20.? and in the graphs?

Thanks,
David

kenargo
02/17/2010, 08:06 PM
With the PM2, I connected my only temp sensor to the PM2 with cond, is it possible to remove the base temp probe so it doesn't show up in status as 20.? and in the graphs?

Go into the setup menu for temp and disable the probe.

DBSAM
02/17/2010, 08:14 PM
In the Temp Setup at the controller, Temp Enable:, gives me a choice of Temp or Tmpx_4.

I guess I could change it to Tmpx_4, but would that effect the temperature compensation of conductivity probe or change anything else?

tangstank
02/18/2010, 09:38 AM
New Update:

www.neptunesys.com/apex_4_02.zip (http://www.neptunesys.com/apex_4_02.zip)

Bug fixes include:
- Amp graph issue fixed
- optimized web page loads for Safari/Firefox

Curt

I tried this new updated, & the Firmware Flash Utility crashed inbetween (Application exception in Windows 7).
Now when I'm trying the old version, it says trying to connect Attempt 9....continues & nothing happens.
This is critical, please help me with this ASAP please.

tangstank
02/18/2010, 09:53 AM
This is awful!

I'm getting this error

Loading firmware file into memory
Firmware file load complete...
Calculating Apex Start Checksum Vector
Calculating Apex Start Checksum Vector complete...
Operation failed with the following error information:
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I'm an .NET programmer by profession & just did not expect to see this error message haunting me here as well.

Kindly please help me with this.

kenargo
02/18/2010, 10:29 AM
This is awful!

I'm getting this error

I'm an .NET programmer by profession & just did not expect to see this error message haunting me here as well.

PM sent...

slief
02/18/2010, 05:54 PM
This is awful!

I'm getting this error

A .net programmer and your running Windows 7.. What did you expect?? :eek1:

Just kidding. In all honesty, Windows 7 is kind of a nightmare. I am in the systems integrtion business and most if not all of our systems are shipping with Windows 7 64 bit which has proven to be a complete support nightmare. Sadly, its our software partners that drive high end systems sales and they all seem to be doing the dev on 7. We have seen countless application and driver releated issues in Windows 7.. XP was never an issue but 7 is like vista all over again. Well maybe not quite Vista but its been real bad. Way too many devices still in beta driver release for my liking.

Personally, I am sticking with XP for a bit. Some of my employess are running 7 and we have seen everything from networking issues such as not being able to connect to Windows 2000 servers, poor driver support to application crashes. I would almost bet that if you tried the firmware update from an XP system, you would have no issues...

I would be very curious what workaround you come up with as a fix for this.

DBSAM
02/18/2010, 05:58 PM
Latest update working better with Safari, except for the graphing...

Not all the graphs load...

cobraz
02/18/2010, 07:07 PM
Curt,

Can you add to the display the ability to see more than on EB8 amps ?
For those of us who have 2 or more EB8s... could you add another box to the display lines.

On the Outlets setup - could a setting be setup - just to be ON all the time with a label like pump or something.... Maybe empty ON or Empty OFF - with no settings to configure.

Thanks in advance..

kenargo
02/18/2010, 07:16 PM
Can you add to the display the ability to see more than on EB8 amps ?

Not sure I understand this; I have 4 EB8s and on my display I have 4 AMP reading.

On the Outlets setup - could a setting be setup - just to be ON all the time with a label like pump or something.... Maybe empty ON or Empty OFF - with no settings to configure.

??? You can use Set ON and have the outlet on all the time but I'm not sure I understand the question

cobraz
02/18/2010, 07:22 PM
Not sure I understand this; I have 4 EB8s and on my display I have 4 AMP reading.

??? You can use Set ON and have the outlet on all the time but I'm not sure I understand the question

On the Web page ...and on the display settings - you can only set one EB..from what I see - in my case EB1 or EB2 unless I drop Temp, PH or ORP... So my first Display line I have Temp and PH... my second line I have ORP and EB1. If we could get another box to display a setting then could add another EB or second PH probe.

Set on - On the Set Outlets thru the web - you have to select a item...Pump, Light, etc... If I select Pump - when I just want the Outlet on all the time... it has the feed options and other settings... could it possible for a Outlet to be just label Empty like a Outlet icon and be either ON or OFF choice and no failbacks or other settings... I currently have my 2 spares on my second EB8 set to pump, fallback on, feed D which I would not use.. it works but just thought a Empty and ON wouyld be cleaner.

Hope that explains it a little better.

aquamanic
02/18/2010, 07:24 PM
Set on - On the Set Outlets thru the web - you have to select a item...Pump, Light, etc... If I select Pump - when I just want the Outlet on all the time... it has the feed options and other settings

Select ADVANCED instead of pump or light. Then just enter

Fallback ON
Set ON

That's it.

kenargo
02/18/2010, 07:45 PM
On the Web page ...and on the display settings - you can only set one EB..from what I see - in my case EB1 or EB2 unless I drop Temp, PH or ORP... So my first Display line I have Temp and PH... my second line I have ORP and EB1. If we could get another box to display a setting then could add another EB or second Temp or PH probe.

The display has 4 pages (accessed using right/left arrow) and you can configure the probe lines (of which there are 2 per page with 2 probes each or a total of 4 probes per page) in any configuration you want. As an example; I configured page 2 to show all 4 EB8s.

hotrod122
02/19/2010, 08:46 AM
since no one answered before....
i am assuming that you still cannot edit the season table with this update?

aquamanic
02/19/2010, 09:07 AM
Correct but the bug that caused the lunar rise/set times to be corrupted has been fixed.

cobraz
02/19/2010, 11:37 AM
Thank you for the SET ON setting - Alan

The graphic buttons I understand.. but if it was on Web page and Apex front display would be nice. I may look at the xml and see if can add boxes somehow... Thanks Kenargo.
I like your web site very cool info there are well.

cablebox2003
02/20/2010, 12:55 PM
Im have a problem with my update. Everyday my lights dont come on when they are supposed to. When I look at the time it like five hours behind. It does this everyday since I upgraded the firmware. Everyday I have to sync the time to my I phone time. Is there a solution for this problem.

kenargo
02/20/2010, 03:48 PM
Im have a problem with my update. Everyday my lights dont come on when they are supposed to. When I look at the time it like five hours behind. It does this everyday since I upgraded the firmware. Everyday I have to sync the time to my I phone time. Is there a solution for this problem.

Check the setting for your timezone. The new firmware enables NNTP (time sync via the internet) so it will set the clock of the Apex based on your timezone offset).

RussM
02/20/2010, 04:09 PM
Check the setting for your timezone. The new firmware enables NNTP (time sync via the internet) so it will set the clock of the Apex based on your timezone offset).And if anyone is unsure what timezone offset value to use, you can refer to the big table on this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_zone#Standard_time_zones.

If you live in Los Angeles, for example, your time zone is UTC-8, so you'd put "-8" in your Apex.

mids1999
02/22/2010, 04:05 PM
Is anyone else having problems with the website while browsing with an iPhone?

I am having a problem where the tabs are not expanding. I can't get into things such as outlet programing.

I am using the most recent firmware from this thread.

unbreakable
02/22/2010, 06:51 PM
I just got my calibration for my PM2, would it be okay to switch over to the beta now or should i wait until its release?

kenargo
02/22/2010, 07:29 PM
It's really up to you; the beta appears pretty stable but it is still a beta.

DBSAM
02/22/2010, 08:50 PM
mids1999,
I have no issues with the iPhone app and IE or Safari.

My only Mac issue is with the graphing in Safari. Curt got back to me and said it should be cleared up with a future release.

unbreakable
02/22/2010, 09:08 PM
after upgrading to the latest beta, my tempx5 probe is reading 20, the conductivity is 17.1 ?

i chose salinity, 2.2, let the probe dry and settle, chose 53000, put it into the calibration fluid, let it settle, and then saved?

i also have a tempx7, is that because of the pm2 ?

unbreakable
02/22/2010, 09:47 PM
also, for the time zone, if i enter -6 for the time zone, its not the time it should be.. i have to enter -8 to be at the same time for central time. am i doing it wrong?

mids1999
02/22/2010, 10:45 PM
mids1999,
I have no issues with the iPhone app and IE or Safari.

My only Mac issue is with the graphing in Safari. Curt got back to me and said it should be cleared up with a future release.

Can you please try iphone's web browser and tell me if tabs work for you?

DBSAM
02/23/2010, 05:33 AM
iPhone Safari tabs don't expand. I believe the problems with Safari 4.0.4 and iPhone Safari will be cleaned up at the same time.

scollier
02/23/2010, 06:18 AM
Re: iPhone make sure you have JavaScript enabled in your safari settings. Recent security update disabled that for me. (thanks apple!)

DBSAM
02/23/2010, 06:49 AM
Java is on. As well as the other switches.

unbreakable
02/23/2010, 08:21 AM
I also can't connect remotely anymore into the apex? Locally i can. I've tried changing the ports and it still doesnt work. My camera is on the same network and can access that remotely and locally, just not the apex. Theyre all on different ports

Conductivity and temp probe still read very low?

kenargo
02/23/2010, 10:13 AM
Do you have temperature compensation turned on; try turning it off?

unbreakable
02/23/2010, 12:11 PM
I got all the problems fixed except the PM1 temperature probe that is reading low.

Curt walked me through the rest; I had the gateway, primary and secondary addresses wrong. The time zone was because the apex wasnt connected to the internet. If you use the temp compensation you have to have a temp. probe connected to the PM2, and as soon as I did that the numbers jumped up.

Curt had me test the temp probe from the pm1 on the base, and it worked, so there's an issue with the PM1?

unbreakable
02/24/2010, 09:27 AM
My PM1 is using 4.01 firmware since the temperature probe on it stopped working when i upgraded to the latest beta. After downgrading the PM1 and leaving the rest of the system on beta, it's working now

Krakonosh
02/24/2010, 10:01 AM
My PM1 is on 002 version, but also when I tried to update it (4.02) it would give me hard time.
It got stuck in Celsius scale (range 3-36) no mater what I did. My fix was to update the s/w while running 4.01 on the base. I don't touch it now. Curt said that 002 is the latest. Still I loose calibration sometime on reboot (pH goes to 2).
I also found that if you update your EB8s from 006 to 007 I had to zero them out.

unbreakable
02/24/2010, 10:08 AM
Denis, so are you running 4.01 on the PM1? I had the same problem with the beta firmware and the PM1. Temperature was stuck at 20 but when i tried to calibrate it wouldnt go past a certain number

what do you mean by zero them out?

Krakonosh
02/24/2010, 10:17 AM
I'm running 4.02 beta on the base, 007 on the EB8s and 002 on the PM1 (it came with it).
I meant zero out the current readings on the EB8s.
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k236/Krakonosh/Hardware/sw-modules.png

unbreakable
02/24/2010, 10:47 AM
This is what I have:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/rubensaurus/ApexModules.png

805reef
02/24/2010, 10:20 PM
i get this error when trying to run the upgrade program.
This is on Windows XP SP2

kenargo
02/24/2010, 10:29 PM
Taking a guess here...

* Verify you have .NET 3.5 installed
* On XP you may have to rt-click and choose "run as admin"

Sorry to be so vague but I don't have an XP system around anymore.

805reef
02/24/2010, 10:31 PM
most likely the .net... oh well. this is my laptop i just use for internet... i dont even have office installed on here, just use google docs. guess ill have to turn on my desktop one of these days to upgrade the apex. thanks

RussM
02/24/2010, 10:31 PM
i get this error when trying to run the upgrade program.
This is on Windows XP SP2
That error almost always means that the necessary .NET framework is not installed (or isn't working properly.) Download the .NET framework installer from Microsoft http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=333325FD-AE52-4E35-B531-508D977D32A6&displaylang=en

Then run the downloaded file.

oxx155
02/25/2010, 01:28 AM
So, is it best to wait a little longer for a new updated version? or should I just move forward and get tech support if I run into problems?
I have a PM2 with Conductivity Probe and would like to use them.

unbreakable
02/25/2010, 06:33 AM
So, is it best to wait a little longer for a new updated version? or should I just move forward and get tech support if I run into problems?
I have a PM2 with Conductivity Probe and would like to use them.

i would upgrade already

ENS
02/25/2010, 02:02 PM
So, is it best to wait a little longer for a new updated version? or should I just move forward and get tech support if I run into problems? I have a PM2 with Conductivity Probe and would like to use them.

I updated about two weeks ago to be able to use my new PM2 and conductivity probe and am happy with it and with the updated firmware. The most recent couple versions seem to only have minor little things to tweek, and, at least for me, haven't effected any normal use or functions. Yeah, yu should upgrade and use your new PM2.

slief
02/25/2010, 05:48 PM
I just updated my apex to the 4.02 release from the neptune support page. After my update, the icons on my display all changed to spickots. I checked my outlet setup via the browser and things that are set for Sun are set correctly. I checked the display settings as well and its progrommed correctly but still showing the wrong icons. I also cycled the power to the Apex but that didnt change a thing either.
Also XML and the display are showing 4.01 firmware.

Any suggestions?

kenargo
02/25/2010, 06:34 PM
A couple things to check; the module may need updated. Look at the modules screen and see if the display (or any module) reports 'old' and if so then update them.

Screen staleness; switch to display page 2 and then back and see if that resets the icons.

The status screen should report software="4.02_2F10" and if not then your firmware update did not work and you should try it again.

aquamanic
02/25/2010, 07:37 PM
Ken - the firmware Curt has posted on the website now is 2H10. Not sure what is fixed in it. Looks like a file date of 2/24.

unbreakable
02/25/2010, 08:59 PM
I believe it was to address the issues with the PM1. This is an email i got from Curt when I was having problems with my PM1 and the beta:

"The bug with the PM1’s temperature probe has been found and corrected. The incorrect PM1 firmware image file was put into the 4.02 release. Please try out this release:

www.neptunesys.com/apex_100216_2H10.zip

Curt"

I'm really liking the support from Neptune!!!!!!! Really glad I chose the Apex. Just to clarify, it fixed the temperature problem i was having with my PM1. Everything has been running great now

kenargo
02/25/2010, 09:02 PM
Yup, I guess 4.02_2H10 is the newest now.

unbreakable
02/26/2010, 07:02 AM
I found a bug, not sure if anyone else has noticed. I have 3 Eb8s. and I coldnt figure out why my dosing pump wasnt turning on

From the webpage, if i try manual ON, it would stay in auto after clicking update. The pump is on 6_8

If i go to 6_7 and try manual ON, it updates and stays AUTO but 6_2 ends up turning on. If i turn 6_7 OFF, 6_2 shuts OFF but status for 6_7 remains the same, as AUTO

This is using: 4.02_2H10 on the whole system

slief
02/26/2010, 09:03 AM
A couple things to check; the module may need updated. Look at the modules screen and see if the display (or any module) reports 'old' and if so then update them.

Screen staleness; switch to display page 2 and then back and see if that resets the icons.

The status screen should report software="4.02_2F10" and if not then your firmware update did not work and you should try it again.

Its all fixed now. First off, I had the wrong firmware file selected. I ended up flashing 4.01.. Dumb move. I had the PM2 attached when I did it so that created one problem. I called Neptune and Curt helped me and connected via Telnet and straightened things out. I think he did that for me 10 years ago when I got my first aqua controller. What GREAT service!

unbreakable
02/26/2010, 06:28 PM
I found a bug, not sure if anyone else has noticed. I have 3 Eb8s. and I coldnt figure out why my dosing pump wasnt turning on

From the webpage, if i try manual ON, it would stay in auto after clicking update. The pump is on 6_8

If i go to 6_7 and try manual ON, it updates and stays AUTO but 6_2 ends up turning on. If i turn 6_7 OFF, 6_2 shuts OFF but status for 6_7 remains the same, as AUTO

This is using: 4.02_2H10 on the whole system

my problem was not having unique named outlets, renamed them and its good now :o

CJO
03/02/2010, 06:42 AM
Stayed up until 2am setting up my new Apex unit. I've successfully updated the Apex firmware (had to unplug unit to put it into the boot strap mode), but haven't been able to update the web pages, it keeps failing with the error "The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized." Any ideas?

Thanks,
CJ

river3847
03/02/2010, 09:59 AM
user & password wrong ? or the hostname you entering is going through another web server?

Stayed up until 2am setting up my new Apex unit. I've successfully updated the Apex firmware (had to unplug unit to put it into the boot strap mode), but haven't been able to update the web pages, it keeps failing with the error "The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized." Any ideas?

Thanks,
CJ

CJO
03/02/2010, 10:37 AM
user & password wrong ? or the hostname you entering is going through another web server?

I had already double-checked the username and password. I'm not at home now to look at it, but I don't remember there being a hostname.. just file name, IP address, port, username and password.

CJ

kenargo
03/02/2010, 12:03 PM
HTTP update needs 3 things:

* Host name or IP of the controller
* HTTP port (defaults to 80 but if you changed it then you need to set the new value)
* Credentials (user and password)

If you can connect using a browser to the controller then the same information you use in your browser should be used for the uploader.

CJO
03/02/2010, 01:16 PM
HTTP update needs 3 things:

* Host name or IP of the controller
* HTTP port (defaults to 80 but if you changed it then you need to set the new value)
* Credentials (user and password)

If you can connect using a browser to the controller then the same information you use in your browser should be used for the uploader.

I used the same info. I think there may have been something weird going on. I stopped by the house at lunch today and logged on, but it wouldn't take my new password, even though it worked fine last night. I had to use the default. I'll try updating again tonight but using the default password.

Thanks,
CJ

swearint
03/02/2010, 02:17 PM
Just in case, whenever you change the user name and password, the Apex must be rebooted in order to take effect.

Todd

CJO
03/02/2010, 08:41 PM
Good news, it updated without a problem using the default password.

Thanks!
CJ

mids1999
03/02/2010, 09:54 PM
Are the seasonal temps messed up for March/April on anyone elses Apex running 4.02_2H10?

My temp program based on RT tried to fry my tank today.
(Lucky for me, I had my heaters set to prevent that from happening.)

Here is my heater program.
Fallback OFF
If Temp < RT+-1.0 Then ON
If Temp > RT+-0.7 Then OFF

Here's my seasonal chart
Yeah, that's 868 degrees F on 3/31
Date Sun rise/set Moon rise/set Int Temperature
Mar 01 07:26/59:17 21:38/09:38 11 76.0
Mar 02 07:26/57:14 22:27/10:27 10 102
Mar 03 07:25/55:10 23:16/11:16 09 128
Mar 04 07:25/53:06 00:04/12:04 07 155
Mar 05 07:24/51:03 00:53/12:53 06 181
Mar 06 07:23/48:59 01:42/13:42 05 208
Mar 07 07:23/46:55 02:31/14:31 04 234
Mar 08 07:22/44:51 03:20/15:20 02 260
Mar 09 07:21/42:48 04:08/16:08 02 287
Mar 10 07:21/40:44 04:57/16:57 02 313
Mar 11 07:20/38:40 05:46/17:46 01 340
Mar 12 07:19/36:36 06:35/18:35 01 366
Mar 13 07:19/34:33 07:24/19:24 01 393
Mar 14 07:18/32:29 08:12/20:12 00 419
Mar 15 07:17/30:25 09:00/21:00 01 445
Mar 16 07:17/28:21 09:49/21:49 01 472
Mar 17 07:16/26:18 10:38/22:38 02 498
Mar 18 07:16/24:14 11:27/23:27 02 525
Mar 19 07:15/22:10 12:16/00:16 02 551
Mar 20 07:14/20:06 13:04/01:04 04 578
Mar 21 07:14/18:03 13:53/01:53 05 604
Mar 22 07:13/15:59 14:42/02:42 06 630
Mar 23 07:12/13:55 15:31/03:31 07 657
Mar 24 07:12/11:51 16:20/04:20 09 683
Mar 25 07:11/09:48 17:08/05:08 10 710
Mar 26 07:10/07:44 17:57/05:57 11 736
Mar 27 07:10/05:40 18:46/06:46 12 763
Mar 28 07:09/03:36 19:35/07:35 14 789
Mar 29 07:08/01:33 20:24/08:24 12 815
Mar 30 07:08/23:29 21:12/09:12 11 842
Mar 31 07:07/21:25 22:01/10:01 10 868

kenargo
03/02/2010, 10:57 PM
There was an update to 02_2H10 and that does not have the problem.

aquamanic
03/03/2010, 07:44 AM
Ken - are you saying there are two versions of 2H10? What was the date when the second was posted?

schwaggs
03/03/2010, 08:06 AM
Shouldn't everyone be using 2F10 (2/14/2010) anyway?

aquamanic
03/03/2010, 08:11 AM
I think 2H10 came after 2F10.

schwaggs
03/03/2010, 08:17 AM
Sorry, that makes sense.... H is after F.... I was going off what is posted on the public download site.

fixmgood
03/04/2010, 04:53 PM
Can someone tell me simply,once I have downloaded the file what to do next.Man I really hate being computer stupid.

fixmgood
03/04/2010, 05:17 PM
Okay scratch that last post.I read in The "unofficial" manual how to do it. Amazing what you can find out by reading some of this stuff:bounce3:

HeneryH
03/04/2010, 05:19 PM
edit [delete.....]

Nevermind since you already got the answer.

RussM
03/04/2010, 05:20 PM
Can someone tell me simply,once I have downloaded the file what to do next.Man I really hate being computer stupid.
Using Windows Explorer, go to the location you downloaded the firmware archive. Select and right-click on that file (it is a ZIP file). Choose Extract All (this may vary depending on what software you have installed, such as if you have WinZip). It will be extracted into a folder with the same name as the downloaded file. Go into that folder, then double-click on the file called README. It contains the instructions on how to proceed. Printing out the README contents may be helpful.

EDIT: I type too slow ;)

aquamanic
03/04/2010, 05:20 PM
Ivan - read the Handbook. It gives you step by step directions. You're not computer stupid - the firmware loads can be tricky. If you get stuck, post a question. You'll get a response pretty quick if you stay by your PC.

aquamanic
03/04/2010, 05:21 PM
Never mind....

CJO
03/04/2010, 10:16 PM
I'm having some issues setting this up. I think that I'm missing the setup menu on the web page. Is this supposed to be there with the current version or have things changed? If they've changed, where do I setup the feed intervals? Also, where do I do the probe calibrations? Currently I have the following main pulldown menus on the web browser: Status, Graphs, Data log, Season table, Configuration and XML.

Thanks,
CJ

CJO
03/04/2010, 10:48 PM
Nevermind- just realized that you have to do those things on the Display rather than the web page.

CJ

thebradybunch
03/05/2010, 07:35 AM
I just updated my APEX last night with the latest firmware update. After the update my temp fell 4 degrees. How do I know which is correct the current temp or the previous temp and is it possible the APEX chnaged another setting?

Thanks

aquamanic
03/05/2010, 09:47 AM
The firmware update should not have touched any probe calibrations. If the temp is running consistently 4 degrees lower than it was before the upgrade, try disconnecting the probe, wait a minute then reconnect and let it come up to temp. See if that corrects the problem.

thebradybunch
03/05/2010, 12:25 PM
Thanks, I'll try that as soon as I get home. The problem is now with the lights and pumps all running thruout the day the temp is showing where I would expect it to. I am curious what my actual temp really is.

One more question, will the graphs not sure the current day any longer? All I can see is yesterday and back?

aquamanic
03/05/2010, 12:44 PM
When you load new firmware you start a new log. In 4.02 it now shows the past 24 hours instead of just today. So you have to wait at least 24 hours from when you applied the update in order to get the data for the graph. That's why some people are saying it takes a couple of days to get the graphing going again.

Ronyx
03/06/2010, 10:40 PM
I've been getting errors loading the graphing page. I'm on a mac and use safari. the activity log in safari shows that many items fail to contact.

Any idea what's going on here? Oh and I'm running 4.02_2H10

DBSAM
03/07/2010, 08:07 AM
Ronyx, I am getting the same issues running Safari 4.0.4. Curt emailed me it has to due with the amount of connections. He stated it should be cleared up with a future release. I only get at most two graphs to show out of six...

The graphs show up fine when using Internet Explorer.

Ronyx
03/07/2010, 11:45 AM
Ronyx, I am getting the same issues running Safari 4.0.4. Curt emailed me it has to due with the amount of connections. He stated it should be cleared up with a future release. I only get at most two graphs to show out of six...

The graphs show up fine when using Internet Explorer.
Thanks for the info.
After following the connection adjustment procedure in the handbook I found that fire fox works fine. I prefer Safari though so I look forward to that fix.

konkers
03/09/2010, 02:00 PM
Switches seem to be flaky/busted.

My sump pump is set up as:

Fallback ON
Set ON
If Switch2 CLOSED Then OFF

Closing switch 2 does not turn off the pump. Even jumpering the contacts on the breakout box with tweezers has no effect.

If I change that to Switch3 (my top off float) it works intermittently.

-Erik

kenargo
03/09/2010, 02:20 PM
How are you connecting the break-out-box and what connections are you bridging with the floats; it almost sounds like you are using the incorrect connections.

konkers
03/09/2010, 04:07 PM
How are you connecting the break-out-box and what connections are you bridging with the floats; it almost sounds like you are using the incorrect connections.

I'm connecting the breakout box to the main controller unit using the mini din 8 that comes out of it. I'm fairly certain the problem is not wiring as it was just working before the upgrade and when bridging the ground and I2 terminals with a pair of tweezers does not have any effect.

konkers
03/11/2010, 01:14 PM
I moved the switch to port 4 and it works now. It seems like 1 and 2 are non-functional. Is there any way to see the status of the switches (telnet command?)

swearint
03/11/2010, 02:04 PM
You can create a virtual outlet that will show up on the Status page and they can be used in code for other outlets:

[Sump_Low]
Set OFF
If Switch4 CLOSED Then ON
Defer 00:30 Then ON <--- optional, will buffer fluctuations

[Pump]
Fallback ON
Set ON
If Outlet Sump_Low = ON then OFF

Todd