PDA

View Full Version : Reef Compatible: With Caution

brians_224
01/26/2010, 09:35 PM
Live Aquaria labels the Bicolor Angelfish as reef compatible with caution.

What exactly does 'Reef Compatible: With Caution' mean?

Are certain corals more appealing to these sorts of fish than others?

I have:
Zoos
Xenia
Frog Spawn
RBTAs
Thin Branched Birds Nest
Montipora

dudley moray
01/26/2010, 09:37 PM
it may eat your zoos and xenia also clams are on it preferred snack list!
my coral beauty has never touched anything in 2 years but since adding another clam well snack list !

Mariner
01/26/2010, 09:53 PM
Dwarf angels have a high degree of variability from species to species and individual to individual. I've got a flame angel in one tank and a flameback in the other; both have done fine with all of my corals and even a large derasa clam, but I've heard horror stories from others. They tend to like clams and large soft polyps, but they can go for anything if they take a notion. Some do fine for months/years and then reportedly just go crazy one day. Your mileage may vary. You have to decide if it's worth the risk.
FWIW,
Mariner

rbnice1
01/26/2010, 10:35 PM
It means its reef compatible till it decides to start eating things. lol

Angles in general are all pretty much add at your own risk, and most people that have been in this hobby a while will tell you its not "if" they eat your corals its "when".

brians_224
01/27/2010, 07:10 PM
Thanks all.

reefscape15
01/27/2010, 08:35 PM
I've had a Bi-Color for about 8 months now, and it will sometimes take a nip at my Kenya Trees and Green Paly's. I don't really mind as these corals grow like weeds anyways, and I figure if it's snacking on that every once in a while, that hopefully it'll leave most other stuff alone.

Octoshark
01/27/2010, 08:46 PM
Reef Compatible With Caution could be something like a tamed lion at the circus; yes its tamed so it could be safe to be around, but you should still be cautious.

It of course varies from species to species because the risk involved with one species might be that it would possibly eat/kill another animal, but the risk involved with another species might just be that it would possibly pick a little at something. So in both of those situations you are to use caution, however, depending upon which species you are dealing with the risk involved may be large or small.