PDA

View Full Version : DI resin channeling

dipan
01/27/2010, 08:31 AM
Hiya Guys ...

My big 4x10" DI resin cartridges are both channeling big time. There is a color changed crooked stripe running through both cartridges. Basically I'm thinking only 20% of the resin is used, but, while I don't see a TDS rise after the cartridges yet (it's 0), I'm expecting it soon.

I was thinking about just mixing the resin in the cartridges completely, but wasn't sure. I was also going to try to pack them down a bit more to try to eliminate the channeling.

What should I do?

Buckeye Hydro
01/27/2010, 09:52 AM
Do you have bottom up flow through both cartridges? From your descrition it sounds like the cartridges are tightly packed - right? In other words, the resin in the cartrigdes hasn't fluidized and separated into two different layers in the cartridge, right?

Russ

dipan
01/27/2010, 12:54 PM
Yes to the first two. The resin has not separated into two different layers, just an oblique color changed stripe wrapping in a spiral kinda fashion around the cylinder.

Buckeye Hydro
01/27/2010, 02:36 PM
Hmm. You could take the resin out and remix it if you like, but it doesn't sound like there are any gaps in the resin (i.e., it is pack correctly - tightly) so you could probably leave it as is as well.

dipan
01/27/2010, 03:14 PM
Well I never really packed it. It came preloaded from you, but I suppose it could have loosened up a bit during shipment.

Buckeye Hydro
01/28/2010, 02:54 AM
I don't think I would dump out the resin and mix it at this point. You are still gettin 0 tds so the resin is doing what it should. If the beds had fluidized I would say yes - remix, add resin, and repack. Just keep an eye on the tds and look for signs that the resin bed has fluidized.

Russ