PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about your top off system, please.

rkb
01/27/2010, 09:54 AM
I have a reservoir of fresh water and each day I plug a small powerhead in and pump water to my sump. This is working fine as the small difference has yet to have a large impact on my skimmer. But that will change this summer as evaporation picks up and I want to have this automated before too much longer.

The Tunze system looks great but very $$$, there has to be a simple system of float switches that I can employ that will be both reliable and not be crazy expensive.

Thanks
Russell

Sk8r
01/27/2010, 09:59 AM
I got a simple dual float switch with acrylic-encased off-on indicator from autotopoff.com for not very much; flawless for going on 4 years. It controls a maxijet 1200 in a 32 gallon Brut trashcan with kalk added. Foolproof, so long as you firmly anchor the outflow line ABOVE the sump so it never touches the water. Let it touch the water and you get a back and forth siphon action which will ruin your salinity, not to mention the kalk. My whole system cost under 140, including the lidded trashcan, the float switch, and pump. 7-gallon salt buckets would put you under 100, since they're free.

R_Hudson
01/27/2010, 10:04 AM
I used a float switch for a furnace safety pan and wired it inline with a small fountain pump in a 2 gal resoirvoir. When the water level in my sump drops the swith closes and brings the pump on until the water is at te right level and the switch kills power to pump. It was simple and took me about 15 min to rig up start to finish. It works great and I've never had a problem with it. Plus the switch is all plastic so there's nothing to rust or corrode and in the event it would fail my sump will easily hold the 2 gal in res tank

Catastrophi
01/27/2010, 10:07 AM
I'm using a jbj auto top off unit

patsfan1130
01/27/2010, 10:11 AM
I use the same unit as Sk8tr. Cheap and extremely reliable. I am going on 5 years with mine

rkb
01/27/2010, 10:14 AM
Thanks all! I'll check it out.

Mark 75g
01/27/2010, 11:12 AM
go to autotopoff.com. I used their switch which comes with the float switch and a safety switch. The system works great They recommend buying a maxi jet pump to use with the system which they also sell. I think the total cost was around $70 or so. I put it in a rubbermaid 45gallon garbage can. Just remember to leave the hose sit out of your sump or it will create a syphon and also drill a hole in the hose above the water line in the water storage tank or it will also create a syphon.