PDA

View Full Version : Is this Lghting Safe to Use?

Jacuzzi
01/27/2010, 10:32 AM
Ok i am trying to trade my 48 inch custom sea life 2 x 175 watt 14k halide with 2 x 65 watt pc's for this setup...

http://www.aquacave.com/36-current-usa-outerbr-orbit-2x150w-10000k-brhqi-mh-w-4x39w-t5-ho-br-18-lunar-lights-1277.html?ref=TheReefTank.com

Problem is the man who is trading me says that he overtightened one of the screws over one of the halides and cracked the glass plate. He says that it is still safe and never gets moisture in it. So is this safe and worth doing? if I get it I was going to purchase the legs for it to go over my 40 gallon. Can I replace or purchase new glass? Lastly do you think this is a fair trade? Thanks all

Richard Reefer
01/27/2010, 11:00 AM
As far as the replacement parts go you should give Current a call, they usually have all the parts for their fixtures available, if memory serves me correctly the HQI glass cover part number is 1912.

greggnyce
01/27/2010, 11:02 AM
The glass covering on hqi fixtures is meant to sheild the corals form uv light. If it is cracked you can fry your corals if there is space for the light to get through.

chuckreef
01/27/2010, 11:12 AM
Personally, I think you should stick with what you have and run Iwasaki 14K lamps with actinic PCs. Int he future it will be easier to upgrade your current fixture (to higehr wattage) balasts and or add T5s to it. The Current fixture really is not amenable to improvements/ upgrades.

cubsFAN
01/27/2010, 12:04 PM
how far apart are the halides on each fixture? what are your tank dimensions? I say this because 1 is a 36in fixture and the other is a 48in. I think this would have an effect on people's opinions as the light spread may be different. I think t5's is an upgrade and you could get the replacement glass cover, but that light may not be good if you plan on a larger tank in the future like a 60in long tank which would be better suited by the 48in fixture and a ballast upgrade. just a couple of things to think about.

Jacuzzi
01/27/2010, 02:18 PM
So the tank is a 40 breeder standard dimesions. I dont plan on upgrading for at least a few years so if I kept the light It would be an eysore for a while. It hangs off 6 inches on each side and not pleasing to look at. The halides are positioned well in terms of my tank dimesions as they are closer to the middle of the fixture so it lights up nicely. I would like to keep it but i have a simple setup, and I am in a studio so the size matters as my current 48 inch light cast light all over the room so finding a good 36 to trade with is the way im going. I will call the company to find a glass shield and price it along with a leg kit.