PDA

View Full Version : How long are test kits good?

Stickboy97
01/27/2010, 03:52 PM
I have some old test kits that I purchased back when I used to have a SW tank sey up, 9+ years ago and I received some with the new tank I just bought (they look to be 5+ years old).

Are either of these tests kits still good? Do those chemicals go bad?

thanks
Shane

Sisterlimonpot
01/27/2010, 03:59 PM
Chances are they aren't any good. There should be an expiration date on them somewhere.

kingfisher62
01/27/2010, 07:34 PM
If you have to ask , they are no good!
I would not risk it. A small investment in some new test kits will most likely save you money in the long run , plus you will sleep better not worrying if your test kits are accurate or not!

Stickboy97
01/27/2010, 10:18 PM
If you have to ask , they are no good!
I would not risk it. A small investment in some new test kits will most likely save you money in the long run , plus you will sleep better not worrying if your test kits are accurate or not!

Good point!

Flipper62
01/28/2010, 01:23 AM
Chances are they aren't any good. There should be an expiration date on them somewhere.

Sister,

It seams that the last few years....the kits dont have a EXP Date on them. Just a Code number. If you call the MFG....they can tell you the Date.

I still go by the 1 year rule. However....To see if my kits are still good. Every 4 to 6 weeks, I take some tank water.....do my tests....then take some of the same water into my LFS and let him do the tests. Since my LFS burns through the kits faster then I do......I can compare his readings to mine.

If his readings are the same.....I know my kits are still OK

Toly
01/28/2010, 09:32 AM
IIRC, API tests are good three years from the code date stamped on top. There was a thread about this before, pls look it up.

mann1139
01/28/2010, 11:50 AM
I received some with the new tank I just bought (they look to be 5+ years old).

Are you saying you received 5 year old test kits with a new tank? Methinks that doesn't sound right.

Stickboy97
01/28/2010, 01:04 PM
new to me, I bought the tank, stand & equip used.

peasofme
01/28/2010, 07:23 PM
my api test kit is several years old and still works.