PDA

View Full Version : DWV PVC fittings OK ?

madkeenreefer
01/27/2010, 04:00 PM
I have been able to source some fittings that I'd been having some trouble locating here in Canada 1 1/2" sanitary "t"
well I found them however they are DWV PVC and I would like to know if anyone here has knowledge of this material and if its going to be reef safe.

Thanks in advance

CMcNeil
01/27/2010, 04:59 PM
it is reef safe but DWV fittings dont fit standard sch-40 or sch-80 pipe,it only fits DWV pipe.

madkeenreefer
01/27/2010, 05:00 PM
I dont have any pipe on hand but I do have some PVC fittings 1 1/2" and they seem to fit fine I imagine with the PVC solvent they would be fine,
is this not the case?

Smitty750
01/27/2010, 07:47 PM
it is reef safe but DWV fittings dont fit standard sch-40 or sch-80 pipe,it only fits DWV pipe.
?????????????? DWV just means Drain Waste Vent its either schedule 40 or 80 its not a special DWV pipe theres no such thing. The sanitary t is fine to use but I would only recommend you use it on the overflow (no pressure) side. Use pressure fittings for youre return (pressure) line

BeanAnimal
01/27/2010, 07:51 PM
?????????????? DWV just means Drain Waste Vent its either schedule 40 or 80 its not a special DWV pipe theres no such thing. The sanitary t is fine to use but I would only recommend you use it on the overflow (no pressure) side. Use pressure fittings for youre return (pressure) line

Actually "DWV" is ASTM Schedule 20 and is most common in ABS and PVC. You are correct in the fact that it fits standard PVC "pressure" pipe and fittings such as Schedule 40, 80 and 120... The fittings will also accept SDR sized pipes as well.

There is nothing in our systems that would come anywhere close to producing enough pressure to cause DWV or thinwall (SDR) type pipe or fittings to fail :)

BeanAnimal
01/27/2010, 08:02 PM
I have been able to source some fittings that I'd been having some trouble locating here in Canada 1 1/2" sanitary "t"
well I found them however they are DWV PVC and I would like to know if anyone here has knowledge of this material and if its going to be reef safe.

Thanks in advance

Don't confuse DWV pipe with IPS PVC Sewer pipe. The IPS (Iron Pipe Size) sewer pipe and fittings are designed around IRON PIPE sizes, not standard PVC pipe sizes. Most "sewer" pipe is cellular core PVC. It is the very thinwall stuff sold to use for drainage pipe and comes in solid and perforated styles with fittings to match.

madkeenreefer
01/27/2010, 09:23 PM
?????????????? DWV just means Drain Waste Vent its either schedule 40 or 80 its not a special DWV pipe theres no such thing. The sanitary t is fine to use but I would only recommend you use it on the overflow (no pressure) side. Use pressure fittings for youre return (pressure) line Ok thats where it going drain line ala Beans drain

Actually "DWV" is ASTM Schedule 20 and is most common in ABS and PVC. You are correct in the fact that it fits standard PVC "pressure" pipe and fittings such as Schedule 40, 80 and 120... The fittings will also accept SDR sized pipes as well.
Im unsure of the first line here or you mean the actulal use of the fitting?

There is nothing in our systems that would come anywhere close to producing enough pressure to cause DWV or thinwall (SDR) type pipe or fittings to fail :)

Don't confuse DWV pipe with IPS PVC Sewer pipe. The IPS (Iron Pipe Size) sewer pipe and fittings are designed around IRON PIPE sizes, not standard PVC pipe sizes. Most "sewer" pipe is cellular core PVC. It is the very thinwall stuff sold to use for drainage pipe and comes in solid and perforated styles with fittings to match.
Im just stating whats marked on the fitting no confusion :) but I know what you mean ")

madkeenreefer
01/27/2010, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the input everyone its gunna get crazy up in here now ive got me fittings lol