PDA

View Full Version : just venting

scomar31
01/27/2010, 09:52 PM
I have started to build my stand and is it me or can you just not find straight lumber anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!! The crap I bought at HD and Lowe's is so bent anymore. I pick through the stuff and still can't find straight lumber. I guess I will have to start buying 12ft sections just to get a straight 4ft cut! I will try a local lumber store tomorrow to see if I can find some better stuff. Just venting but will post pics when I get some straight lumber and continue the build.

noobtothereef
01/27/2010, 09:57 PM
what lumber are you looking for? If your buying 2x4's and such for $2 a piece what do you expect? buy select lumber its much straighter, you get what you pay for......

wisdan92
01/27/2010, 10:38 PM
Lowes and Home Depot lumber, regardless of which lumber you buy, is of terrible quality. Even the top choice premium lumber from lowes is still consistently twisted and knotty. Trying a lumber yard would probably get you a better result.

wisdan92
01/27/2010, 10:40 PM
And if interested at all....lowes lumber is now purchased from canada from fast growth tree farms and is not from the good old usa....

scomar31
01/27/2010, 10:43 PM
Lowes and Home Depot lumber, regardless of which lumber you buy, is of terrible quality. Even the top choice premium lumber from lowes is still consistently twisted and knotty. Trying a lumber yard would probably get you a better result.

I am going to try 84 lumber tomorrow so hopefully they will have some better stuff, the last thing I need is an un-square tank stand and then 90 gallons of water on the floor!

wisdan92
01/27/2010, 10:46 PM
I was just at lowes last weekend to get some lumber to build a stand for my turtle tank, and went through half the pile of premium 2x4's before i found enough straight pieces.

hllywd
01/27/2010, 11:35 PM
Hence a great reason to use plywood!

Seriously the stuff you're looking at is probably fine for building houses where the tolerances aren't usually as tight as they are when you're building an aquarium stand. Building the case out of good 3/4" hardwood plywood (oak, birch, cherry, walnut, etc...), and some matching hardwood, and edge banding using standard cabinet making techniques circumvents the entire issue. The stand for my 120 is made entirely of #2 pine 1x stock which is another option. It's an AGA and solid as a rock. you can see it here; http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1163749

If your bent (no pun intended) on using 2x4s that's fine, just not necessary. When you're at Lowes, tell them the crooked pieces won't work for your project and ask them to open a new bunk. Just make sure you use them quickly, becuse the longer they are unbanded, the more likely they are to twist. Definately keep them out of the sunlight if you're working outside...

Tim

hoffy02
01/28/2010, 06:33 AM
My wife cant understand why it takes me three plus hours to run to lowes and grab a couple 2x's... Have to sift through the PREMIUM pile for ever.... I guess there is some store browsing in there as well :)

BeanAnimal
01/28/2010, 08:16 AM
It really does not matter where you buy your dimensional lumber from... it all comes from the same place. 84 lumber or your local building supply does deal with a secret lumber supply company that provides them with better lumber. While you may find better lumber "next door" it is mostly just out of luck.

Much of the lumber we are getting is not properly dried, as the harvesters are not stock piling lumber, but rather cutting it almost to order.

pmcadams
01/28/2010, 08:58 AM
Hence a great reason to use plywood!

+1

There are commercial grade stands made for every tank size available and I have yet to see one made from 2x4s. My 140g cabinet is entirely 3/4 oak plywood with oak trim. If you prefer extra bracing, use hardwood lumber. For a tank cabinet the difference in cost is negligible and the lumber quality between the two cannot be compared.

coralnut99
01/28/2010, 09:11 AM
It really does not matter where you buy your dimensional lumber from... it all comes from the same place. 84 lumber or your local building supply does deal with a secret lumber supply company that provides them with better lumber. While you may find better lumber "next door" it is mostly just out of luck.

Much of the lumber we are getting is not properly dried, as the harvesters are not stock piling lumber, but rather cutting it almost to order.

+1

Bean's spot on.

It really is a matter of luck. I built the stand for the peninsula I'm going to put in the family room about 5 months ago. Lowe's top choice 2X lumber was actually a dream to work with. I remember being in and out of Lowes in less than an hour. Fast forward 3 months when I needed 2X lumber for the rest of the renovation, and you could hear me cursing into the next county as the lumber I picked up Friday night, twisted and warped overnight.

My theory is this: During the winter months, the demand for construction lumber in the Northeast is minimal even during good economic times. As the mills slow down a bit during winter months, the better grade construction lumber "heads south for the winter". Just a theory, but it's a pattern I've noticed for quite some time.

scomar31
01/28/2010, 09:21 AM
so 3/4" plywood will hold up 90 gallons without busting? I was using the model on here posted by rocketengineer which is why I went with the 2x4 and 2x6. If 3/4" ply will work then I will switch to that because I was going to have to skin the 2x4 anyway with some type of plywood. I am going to paint and not stain so I will probably use sandeply instead of oak to save some $$ since I won't need the grain to make the stain pop.

pmcadams
01/28/2010, 10:12 AM
Go to the URL posted by Tim (Hllywd) above and scroll down to see his open cabinet. You can also go to your LFS that sells tanks/stands and look at their construction.

Disclaimer: I am assuming you are familiar with cabinet building :)