PDA

View Full Version : Next fish planning, tips and thoughts welcome

Haxsaw
01/27/2010, 11:01 PM
Hi Folks,

My tank has been running now for over 2 months and things are going very well. My Red Velvet Fairy Wrasse, Purple Firefish and Ocellaris Clown are as happy as can be. I am really encouraged that the Wrasse is even staying out and about while I am near the tank now instead of hiding.

I just got a quarantine tank and will start cycling it over the weekend.

I would like to complete my tank by adding a Potters Angel and a Masked Butterflyfish (Chaetodon semilarvatus). I am thinking I am about 2-3 months away from adding my new additions so my questions are:

1) Should I add them at the same time?
2) In the QT, I plan to have some live rock in there, are there any additional considerations I should take for these 2?
3) I plan to order the fish from a good online site, however, I am wondering if I should plan on doing any additional treatments for the fish when they arrive?

I figure since I have some time, I might as well get things ready.

Thanks!

sanchoy
01/28/2010, 12:48 AM
Just my 2 cents..

- in your QT its better to not have live rock, just in case you treat it with something, or the rock gets infested with something.
- Most QT are just a bare tank with maybe a few fake decorations for the fish to hide.
- If you have a QT, use the QT, do not add the fish straight into the DT, that beats the purpose of the QT.
- you have to resist the temptation of putting straight into DT.

sanchoy
01/28/2010, 12:50 AM
Also.. in I would use the DT water for QT tank. So your new fish gets acclimated. Note: the QT tank should be seperate from a treatment/hospital tank.

CarlC
01/28/2010, 07:14 AM
Use pvc tubes for hiding places. When your done treating or acclimating it can easily be removed and disinfected.
Glue suction cups to the pvc to hold them place.

Carl

Haxsaw
01/28/2010, 09:39 AM
Hi Sanchoy,

First off, yes, I will be using the QT to quarantine the fish before adding to the DT so I am on the same page there. Thanks for the suggestion of using tank water, I will do that.

The thing I read on the Potter's Primer was that they can be very difficult to get eating at it was important to provide them with a constant food source. What do you think?

Thanks,
Justin

beezer06840
01/28/2010, 02:58 PM
i'm not sure of your setup but just wanted to point out that the semilarvatus is not reef compatible. They will pick any coral to death. My pair has left all snails alone and only picks at the starfish if it gets turned upside down. That being said, I have found them to be a good community fish and they are always out and about. Lastly, given how they eat pretty much anything i put in the tank, i am surprised at their slow growth rates.

Haxsaw
01/28/2010, 11:05 PM
Beezer,

Thanks for the tips. I don't have any coral so I am ok there. I do have some hermit crabs and peppermint shrimp but I think they should be ok, right? I am thinking about getting a lettuce nudibranch, is this a bad idea with getting the semilarvatus?
-Justin