PDA

View Full Version : Where do you keep your quarantine tanks???

celticreefer85
01/28/2010, 03:30 PM
hey guys,

first post. I have a 75 g tank and am cycling it now. will put in my first fish in two weeks and will be soon purchasing a quaratine tank of 15g. My question is where do you guys keep your quarantine tanks. i wanted to keep mine in my stand but am scared to because of all of the wires in the stand. i wanted to know what most people do with these quaratine tanks.

jimbo78
01/28/2010, 03:37 PM
when i need one i pull it out and put it on the counter or table, even the floor is fine. when not in use it goes back out to the shed and filter media is keep in the sump of my display tank

wooden_reefer
01/28/2010, 03:38 PM
hey guys,

first post. I have a 75 g tank and am cycling it now. will put in my first fish in two weeks and will be soon purchasing a quaratine tank of 15g. My question is where do you guys keep your quarantine tanks. i wanted to keep mine in my stand but am scared to because of all of the wires in the stand. i wanted to know what most people do with these quaratine tanks.

Any stable draft-free place not too close to the DT to avoid any mist or splash from making into the DT.

A few months after stocking the last livestock I may only keep the filter medium active and put the QT tank itself in storage.

sfboarders
01/28/2010, 03:46 PM
I got a 55 gallon QT on top of a DIY stand made out of 2 x 4's in my storage room next to the garage. When it's not in use I'll probably drain it out and take the medium out and put it in a 5 gallon bucket and pulse it with ammonia.

cman_pogey
01/28/2010, 04:02 PM
I just keep my dinky little ten gallon with a HOB filter next to my bed on my dresser, works fine for what I need it too i guess...

boodlefish
01/28/2010, 04:35 PM
when i need one i pull it out and put it on the counter or table, even the floor is fine. when not in use it goes back out to the shed and filter media is keep in the sump of my display tank

+1 and when we need the QT i get an ear full from the GF WHY DOES THIS PLACE ALWAYS HAVE TO LOOK LIKE A FISH STORE??? :love2::worried2:

chuckreef
01/28/2010, 04:46 PM
Me too 18 Gal. goes from kitchen cabinet to kitchen counter to kitchen cabinet. I use an old eclipse system that uses filter cartrdifes and I replace them with each use. (I don't try to keep them bioloigically active; just throw the out.) I use a single large piece of Live rock from the sump to "jump start" the filter in the QT and give the fish a place to hide or to perch the frag on. Light is two 32 Watt PC and that seems to work fine but most frags turn brown in this QT light and then recover. I leave the heater and powerhead in the QT when I store it.

I start with water from the DT and do a 5 gal. water change every day (5 gal out of QT, 5 gal out of DT into QT, fresh 5 gal SW into DT) on the QT to maximize water quality and when I'm satsified there are no pests present I just make sure temp is the same net the creature over (don't acclimate).

Indymann99
01/28/2010, 08:10 PM
I keep mine in the mix room. I have it plumbed (with air gap) to the mix tank and/or the DT for easy water changes.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn10/Indymann99/QTinMixRm.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn10/Indymann99/QTTank.jpg

SaltieG
01/28/2010, 09:12 PM
I have a 55g freshwater upstairs and I keep the quarantine in the stand of that tank. Hidden and out of the way.