PDA

View Full Version : What else should I ad?

CantImagineWhy
01/28/2010, 04:16 PM
I've had my second tank (a 40 tall) set up since December. I plan on having it as a FOWLR tank (my other is a mini-reef). I have a marineland hob filter, a cascade 700 canister filter, 40 lbs of sugar sand, and approx. 40 lbs of rock (30lbs dry rock seeded with 10lbs cured live rock). I currently have 50/50 bulbs on it, but I ordered a T5 fixture for it that will be arriving any day.

I currently have a Coral Beauty Angel and 3 Pajama Cardinals. I love the color of them, and would like more colorful fish that would get along with them. The Angel was very shy at first because my tank is in a busy area, but she's doing a whole lot better and swims to the glass to look at anyone near the tank. She eats like a hog, too!! She loves her seaweed!

As far as a clean up crew goes, I have 5 blue leg hermits, 4 cerith snails, 2 super tongan nassarius snails, and 2 turbo snails.

Also, are urchins safe to put in the tank? I really like the tuxedo urchins. I want one for my 40 and one for my 20 mini-reef. Would this be okay?

Thanks in advance!!

peasofme
01/28/2010, 07:15 PM
urchins should be fine. i have 2. just watch them cause sometimes they will attach to something you dont want them to and u will have to pull it off them.

you could probably add an ocellaris clownfish, a green chromis, a bicolor blenny

CantImagineWhy
01/28/2010, 09:55 PM
I was thinking about green chromis. Are they okay by themselves, or should they be in a group? If so, how many is a good size group for my tank?

peasofme
01/28/2010, 09:56 PM
i heard they will end up killing eachother, i would just get one

mcoomer
01/28/2010, 11:32 PM
Yeah, chromis' are odd. I see some tanks that feature a school of them but many people report them dying off one at a time is short order, me included. A clown pair would be a good choice and it's funny to watch small kids when they come over. All the stuff that I have in my tank and all they want to talk about is "Nemo, nemo!"

Mike

Octoshark
01/29/2010, 12:03 AM
If you like your coralline then beware of the urchins, I know someone who got some urchins to take care of a hair algae problem and they did clean up all the hair algae, however, once all of that was gone the coralline started disappearing very quickly.

The urchins were funny though as they had objects sticking onto them (mostly macro and shells). One was "walking" across the tank with a rubber suction cup stuck on his back.

CantImagineWhy
01/29/2010, 12:31 PM
Alright, no chromis for me then. I want more fish that like to be in small groups. I like watching my cardinals together.

What type of clowns should I go for? I want something that's not going to be very aggressive or territorial. The LFS where I get my fish has 2 "cinnamon clowns" but I think they are labled wrong... they look more like maroons to me based on pictures I've seen online. They are the same pair that was in with my coral beauty when I bought her about 3 weeks ago, haha. I've heard mixed reviews about maroons. Some say they're little devils, and I've heard others say that their's are model citizens. Any input?

Thanks for the info about the urchins! I'll just get one for the 40 because it currently has no coralline. I don't want to lose the coralline in my 20!

peasofme
01/29/2010, 12:33 PM
maroons are the most aggressive clowns. ocellaris are the nicest.

garzaci
01/29/2010, 01:04 PM
How about some firefish. Not positive if they are social, but at my LFS they are always in groups.

peasofme
01/29/2010, 01:37 PM
i heard ur not supposed to have more than 1 firefish, but ive never kept them. they're also jumpers and get scared easy

CantImagineWhy
01/29/2010, 09:15 PM
I've got firefish in my other tank (20 reef). I have 3 purple firefish and they get along just fine.

dudley moray
01/29/2010, 09:28 PM
cinnamons are just as bad as maroons !
percs and false percs are what i would recommend chromis are not very hardy ! anthias are nice schooling fish and there are lots to choose from bartlets and lyre tails would be the most hardy

Chiefsurfer
01/29/2010, 09:30 PM
Cardinals are about the only ones that really "school" that I know of for smaller tanks.

I love PJ's too.

Oscellaris and Percula are the 2 most timid(friendly) clownfish. Maroon are one of the most nasty clownfish. Clowns should be pairs, or singly. Don't get more than 2 on a small tank that size. Even osce's will fight with a third or more of the same species.

With 2 clowns, and 3 PJ's, and the coral beauty, you are about fully stocked. You could probably get 1 or 2 more small fish, and I would say that Chromis are probably a pretty good choice. Little chance of jumping.

From the general concensus I get with Chromis, is that if your LFS is nice enough, get 3 or 4 to put in your tank. Then within a few weeks, 2 of them will "bond". Take the rest out, bring them back to your LFS for credit. Those remaining 2 should be fine.

They will stick together most of the time. They don't "school" like cardinals, but will "group" themselves together.