PDA

View Full Version : is this T5 enough for a 50gal fish only...

keezdiver
01/28/2010, 05:52 PM
50gal tank

36" long, about 18" wide

is the Nova Extreme HO Light Fixture - 10,000K - 2 x 39W - 36 in. - T5, enough to keep it well lite?

looking to keep cost down.

not planning any corals. i suppose an anenome could be in the future

N-dog
01/28/2010, 07:29 PM
50gal tank

36" long, about 18" wide

is the Nova Extreme HO Light Fixture - 10,000K - 2 x 39W - 36 in. - T5, enough to keep it well lite?

looking to keep cost down.

not planning any corals. i suppose an anenome could be in the future

It will keep your tank lit okay, as far as an anenome most would die under that light.

DC_40gallon
01/28/2010, 07:33 PM
You need minimum 4 bulbs x 39watts. I have a 40 breeder and with yours being 18 inches wide it really needs to be a 6 bulb. Ask the grim reefer, he will advise a 6 bulb for that wide of tank.

keezdiver
01/28/2010, 08:57 PM
It will keep your tank lit okay, as far as an anenome most would die under that light.

wow...no kidding?!

i know very little about that aspect of inverts....i'm a fish guy (biologist). seems strange that we have anemones around where i live (south florida) that survive in crappy water with poor vis.

guess i need to look at a bigger light.

keezdiver
01/28/2010, 09:14 PM
so stepping up to a 4 or 6 bulb gives me lights for the night (actinics.

what do those gain me really?

for a 6 bulb i'm 4X the price, but am still only gaining 1 extra regular light and 3 actinics.

DC_40gallon
01/28/2010, 10:13 PM
No. When you get a 4 bulb fixture you cab have any combo of 4 bulbs. Same goes with a 6 bUlb fixture. You won't want that many actinics.

Plan on this equation. You need at minimum 3 watts of light per gallon. 50 gallons, you need 150 watts min. That's a 4 bulb fixture minimum.

DC_40gallon
01/28/2010, 10:17 PM
You will need a white bulb, actinic and probably a Fiji purple or a red wave to bring out colors.

The more bulbs the more par that penetrates your tank. The more light that penetrates your tank, the more corals you can have.

With two bulbs on a 50 gallon you could have mushrooms and a few softies that are nearer the surface. No sps, acros or anemones.

nikon187
01/28/2010, 10:35 PM
Actinic T5 are not like the actinics your used to. T5 bulbs like the blue + from ATI is very blue but has as much par as their white bulb the aquablue special. You can get by with 4 bulbs as long as you have good reflectors for each bulb. A great combo would be

blue + ( ATI)
Figi purple ( KZ)
Aquablue special ( ATI)
Blue + ( ATI)

replace the figi for another aquablue special if you want a whiter look.

noboddi
01/28/2010, 11:00 PM
The anemones in Flordia waters may very well be Condylactus species. They don't need as much light as the clown anemone host species. When people say anemone they invariably mean a clown host species. Which one are you planning?

keezdiver
01/29/2010, 06:18 AM
yeah see thats the speed bump i'm running into right now setting up my tank.

i'm setting it up to house native fish that i'm collecting from nearshore ocean habitats around my house. doesn't take as much "planning" as all the fancy high dollar species most people are getting.

and YES the anemone i was thinking was definatly the Condylactus.

i don't ever plan to have a Clownfish

kimber45
01/29/2010, 07:23 AM
i would say 2 t5ho would be fine for fish only.

although i'm not to familiar with that type anemone and the fact your tank is 18" wide i think a 4 bulb might be more realistic. it would also give you more color choices.

keezdiver
01/29/2010, 08:59 AM
yeah i'm really considering a 4 bulb now...

for the reason you said...bulb options.

thanks....ugh...time to sell some blood ;)

ddymond
01/29/2010, 10:41 AM
Not sure how far down in the keys you are, but I recently bought a Tek 4 bulb T-5 at a lfs and paid 175.00 with the bulbs. I replaced the bulbs just to be safe, but a pretty good deal. It was basically brand new, the owner was switching a few tanks to MH and had these lying around. Might want to give a few a call in the Miami area. Good luck.

keezdiver
01/29/2010, 11:07 AM
yeah miami is over 2hrs drive....not worth the time/hassle/money

i've found them online for $200-250 brand new

DC_40gallon
01/29/2010, 03:22 PM
Keezdiver - check out marineandreef.com they have insane sales on lighting fixtures. I have a wave point T5 - 4 bulb fixture. Factory bulbs are pretty impressive and you can get a 4 bulb T5 36 inch for $220-250. You can get a Current nova extreme pro 6 bulb for $300 but take into account that Current bulbs are trash so budget $100-150 more for replacing the bulbs in the first 3 months.

rtparty
01/29/2010, 03:37 PM
This is a fish only tank with the possibility of an anemone at some point. No need to change the bulbs out for at least a year, even if they are Current bulbs.

Go get an Aquatic Life fixture with 4 bulbs. You can add on more later if you ever catch the reefing bug. The stock bulbs will be PLENTY for a Fish Only tank and even an anemone, if kept under the bulbs. The Aquatic Life will also come with moon lights and a built in timer. Well worth the money.

I don't see any reason to change the bulbs at the beginning. This is NOT a reef tank where there are critters demanding light.

keezdiver
01/29/2010, 06:42 PM
thanks guys.

this is def gonna be just a FOWLR for quite a while. i'm in an apartment and will likely be moving in a year or 2. don't want to deal with a huge tank of corals to move.

one maybe 2 Chondalactis anemones would be all i'd get...something to house a Penderson or Peppermint shrimp.

99% reason for setting up this tank is to house a lionfish that will be used for education (part of my job). i just want some cool stuff to look at other than the Pterois

DC_40gallon
01/29/2010, 07:18 PM
true forgot it was a FOWLR. I would def do the Current Nova Extreme Pro 6 bulb then.

Keep the factory bulbs and love your new tank! Best $300 investment you'll make to your entire setup.

Johnny C
01/29/2010, 07:32 PM
If you are only keeping fish and just want something that looks nice and lights the tank well, a two-bulb Current will definatly work. :)