PDA

View Full Version : LR quantity

schatzi
01/28/2010, 07:43 PM
Is the suggestion of 2 lbs per gallon of LR an attempt to achieve optimal filtration or, if all used in the DT, an attempt at a nice looking quantity of rock? I would guess it's a filtration recommendation.

Octoshark
01/28/2010, 07:46 PM
2 lbs per gallon is a general statement, it will ultimately depend upon the density of the rock, surface area, and of course the bioload (in which case it is up to your own best judgment). Yes the rule is used to provide efficient biological filtration.

schatzi
01/28/2010, 07:56 PM
and you can't have too much correct? I have the fortune to have an easily accessible basement area and can have a huge sump if i want it, so i figure, why not?

stevek480
01/28/2010, 09:45 PM
I wouldn't say you could necessarily have too much, but I think you would eventually get to a point where adding more would provide no additional benefit. Of course, there is no way of knowing what that point is.

Calif-Reef
01/28/2010, 11:04 PM
So for a 300 gal tank I would need 600 lbs of rock? Wouldn't have any room for anything else.

Octoshark
01/28/2010, 11:35 PM
So for a 300 gal tank I would need 600 lbs of rock? Wouldn't have any room for anything else.

As I stated above, the 2 lb rule is a general statement. What ultimately matters is the density and surface area of your rock, as well as your intended bioload. In that case, the actual amount of live rock could potentially be less than 2 lbs per gallon. I have less than 2 lbs per gallon and my tank is absolutely fine. My rock is not dense and has a lot of knobs which creates more surface area.

Think of it this way: a baseball weighs much more than a beachball, but the beachball is much larger and has MUCH more surface area.

Reefugee
01/28/2010, 11:39 PM
Like Octoshark said - it really depends on the density of the rocks. IMO - in most cases, 2lbs per gallon is way too much. In my last two tanks, I am closer to 1 lbs per gallon, but those weren't dense rock. It also depends on what you are trying to achieve. Some people are minimalist on rocks while others like a rock wall look.

toddanddaneen
01/28/2010, 11:41 PM
If your using good quality live rock 1 pound to 1.5 pound per gallon should be fine.