PDA

View Full Version : ID Please, Fingers Crossed

K.Bodno
01/28/2010, 10:15 PM
OK so heres the story, if you dont wanna read this, then skip to the pictures, but you will probably be back, because from what i see this is a rare hitch hiker, hopefully.

Ive had my live rock for a month or so now and yesterday i was looking closely and noticed something that resembled a clam. So today i saw it, and i was like, wow, thats open, alot more than yesterday, so i put my finger near it and it closed shut. So I was in aw, I then took it out of the live rock and placed it in the sand. Its a wee little guy, but it's been surviving for about a month or so. Now my question is, can you identify the type? It hasnt opened yet (I am typing this as I observe), so if it needs to be open I will get a pic tomorrow, anyways, here it is. About 1/2 in big. (.5 in)

Hopefully these are good pictures, I used my Nikon on a Tripod, so help me god ;)

http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx125/KBodno/DSC_0414.jpg
http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx125/KBodno/DSC_0413.jpg
http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx125/KBodno/DSC_0412.jpg

Also, should I be taking care of this seeing Im a newbie, or should i send it off to a local friend, and he can nurse it to get big?

I dont think its a cleaning clam though thats the thing, its too narrow to be one.

Elysia
01/29/2010, 04:13 PM
Actually, these are pretty common live rock hitchhikers. A lot of people never even notice them on their rock. They seem to survive fine in a mature tank without having to be fed, at least mine have (although my tank is a somewhat "dirty" tank.)

Hillbilly318
01/29/2010, 04:24 PM
alot of the clams we have as hitchikers are filter feeders, and will do just fine on their own.

K.Bodno
01/29/2010, 05:08 PM
any clue what kind?

Chiefsurfer
01/29/2010, 05:13 PM
looks like a turkey-wing. You get rock from the gulf of mexico? They are fairly common there. I have a BIG one that doesn't look mugh like that, and there are few, if any, good pics of them online, but you can check out the shape of the shell, and that's what it looks like. Stick him back on a rock, open side-down, and he will plant his foot.

PS, mine has 3 different types of sponges, and a colony of tunicates on it. Needless to say, it will be a fairly boring inhabitant, but nice none-the-less.

K.Bodno
01/29/2010, 05:43 PM
looks like a turkey-wing. You get rock from the gulf of mexico? They are fairly common there. I have a BIG one that doesn't look mugh like that, and there are few, if any, good pics of them online, but you can check out the shape of the shell, and that's what it looks like. Stick him back on a rock, open side-down, and he will plant his foot.

PS, mine has 3 different types of sponges, and a colony of tunicates on it. Needless to say, it will be a fairly boring inhabitant, but nice none-the-less.

Im having trouble understanding what your saying..... haha so its nothin special? i was hoping it was a tricanda or something, darn :(