PDA

View Full Version : Protein Skimmer Woes

che25
01/29/2010, 10:07 AM
Hello All:

I've been running a Euro Reef RS-80 protein skimmer for about 3 years now; the pump is giving me trouble. When the power is shut-off and turned back on, the pump doesn't produce bubbles, it only makes a ticking sound and pumps a little bit of water. If I hold my hand over the intake, the pin wheel will seat and resume normal operation. However, it is taking more and more time to do this and it is very annoying. I've taken it apart and soaked all components in vinegar, I don't see any unusual ware on any of the parts. Does anybody have a cheap fix or idea without purchasing a new pump? In these recessionary times, I don't have the disposable income I had when I built the tank; DIY projects rock and there always seems to be a cheap fix.

Thanks in advance.:furious:

Chiefsurfer
01/29/2010, 10:15 AM
best bet is just call euro-reef(assuming they are still in business) and get the pump type, or buy one from them. If it is magnetic driven, sounds like either the impeller is losing magnetism, or the pump motor is. Don't know.

pmcadams
01/29/2010, 10:27 AM
My last reef ran with a Euroreef skimmer and I thought it was a great skimmer but I am a little concerned when skimmers use proprietary pumps...at least they were several years back. I now see sedra parts are available from places like here -
http://www.fishsupply.com/sedrapumpparts.html

When it comes to pumps, if there is no physical damage or wear to the impeller assembly and the pump body impeller 'hole' is clean, there isn't a lot left other than motor windings, which you cannot do anything about.

If you go to Euro-reefs website, and select support, they do have a forum dedicated to their skimmers. You might ask there as well.