PDA

View Full Version : Cube vs. Long - 90g vs. 120g

TheRealRuk
01/29/2010, 10:45 AM
Okay, so I've had a 24g AquaPod up and running for a little over a year. The time has come to either upgrade the lights and add a sump, or get a bigger tank all together. At first my wife and I were looking at a 93g cube. (We were leaning more towards the cude because of the way it would fit in our room.) Ive been doing alot of the research I probably should have done a year ago on sumps, skimmers, etc. I know picking between cube and a standard long tank is more personal preference than anything. I believe you'd have a a little more options with fish in a long. As I'm sure you all know going from the 24g stock AquaPod to a bigger tank is a big and exciting jump, not to mention a big investment. Truth is, I'm just as excited about setting up the sump/refugium as I am the DT. I just dont want to kick myself in the butt 12 months from now for my tank selection. If I'm making the jump, should I just go with 120g-ish? Is the 30g worth the added cost? I'm going to plum the sump down to my basement, so I have room for a big sump. Has anyone gotten a cube and later wished they went with a standard long? (I'm looking for the magic answer that will steer us into makeing a decision, so we can get going.)

zachfishman
01/29/2010, 11:07 AM
What's the added cost for the 120? I have a 120 and love the dimensions (4x2x2). You really come to appreciate the depth.

mltnguyen
01/29/2010, 11:14 AM
What's the added cost for the 120? I have a 120 and love the dimensions (4x2x2). You really come to appreciate the depth.

I would agree with zachfishman. I want do anything less then 2' deep now.

Saltyllama
01/29/2010, 11:23 AM
I upgraded from a 46 bow to a standard 90 48"x18"x24". Now that the tank has been running for a few months I'm already feeling ready for the 120. In my opinion it is the perfect tank for this size range. If you don't believe me ask the rock that is resting up against the front glass.

scuba guy ron
01/29/2010, 11:26 AM
I currently have a 37 gal column. Imo the cube/colum tanks are more asthetically pleasing to the eye. I know my 37 is half the size as what you are looking for but overall they bothe will present a few same needs that will differ from a long tank. What I'm saying is that first depending the size of the stand for the cube, you may be limited in what you can do sump/refugium wise because of the dimensions of the cabinet. Another issue I've come across is getting the flow rite in my tank can be a little challenging. I've recently added a fuge in my column with amazing results but it took a little inginuity. You can check out the setup and sump before I added the fuge here. www.youtube.com/scubaguyron. I'm planning to put up another vid this weekend to include the refugium.

gdsmith56
01/29/2010, 11:29 AM
Although I'm setting up a cube (50g) this weekend, my ultimate tank will be 4-5-6x2x2 .. the length will be dependent on the size of the living room after we RETIRE and RELOCATE. Cubes are nice; they're practical for certain rooms/room sizes; but when I upgrade, it's not going to be a bigger cube!

scuba guy ron
01/29/2010, 11:50 AM
That makes 2 of us.

patsfan1130
01/29/2010, 11:57 AM
My next tank will be a rimless cube. But I already have my full share of standard tanks. If I were you I would go for the 120. The extra depth makes all the difference in the world IMO. It's a great tank dimesionally speaking.

boodlefish
01/29/2010, 12:13 PM
i guess it really depends on the fish you want to keep... i am really happy with my 100g rimless, 48"L x 24"W x 20"T i really love the 24"width (depth) and would not go any taller (can't really on rimless) but areas of the tank would be too hard to reach for cleaning fragging maintenance etc.

i would also love a cube you essentially get 3 different views of an awesome tank, another reason i love my 24"width (depth) its a fun new angle to view corals.

in the 90g cube you will not likely be able to safely keep the same tangs as in the longer tank. but you could keep a bristle tooth and or kohle tang maybe a yellow? depends on how open you rock scape will be.

i think 36"L x 30"w x 20"t would be a really fun size tank.

Elysia
01/29/2010, 03:31 PM
I have been trying to decide between these two tanks myself.

There is only about $60 difference in the price.

The comments about the depth of the tank do not effect the decision; each tank is 2' in depth.

The Marineland 93 gallon cube is 30" long x 30" wide x 24" deep.
A standard 120 tank is 48" long x 24" wide x 24" deep.

Right now my family is pushing for the cube because they think that the 120 is too big. The difference I see between the two is that I would have a few more options regarding what type of tang I would like to keep in a 120, where in the 93 cube, my only real option would be a Kole. But I am not really looking to house large fish, but multiple small fish. I still haven't completely decided, but the corner overflow Marineland cube is a nice tank, and I like the shorter stand that they have available for it.

TheRealRuk
01/29/2010, 03:36 PM
Thx for all your replies. I wasnt as worried about the actual tank price differance in going from the 90g to the 120g, more so the elec and everything associated with maintaining it... (Jumping from a stock 24g to a 90-120g...) Zack, the 4x2x2 does pretty nice, do you have an pics? I was leaning towards leaving the top open compaired to a canopy. Can you guys post some pics of your 90g - 120 open top tanks with lights? Booblefish, what kind of tank is that rimless? Can you post a pic?

boodlefish
01/29/2010, 05:24 PM
Thx for all your replies. I wasnt as worried about the actual tank price differance in going from the 90g to the 120g, more so the elec and everything associated with maintaining it... (Jumping from a stock 24g to a 90-120g...) Zack, the 4x2x2 does pretty nice, do you have an pics? I was leaning towards leaving the top open compaired to a canopy. Can you guys post some pics of your 90g - 120 open top tanks with lights? Booblefish, what kind of tank is that rimless? Can you post a pic?

I thought you would never ask ;) its actually a custom built tank ordered from a LFS the price quote was 1/2 leemar's (west coast tank maker) any way my dims are 48"L x 24"W x 21.5"T with the water at 20" i love this size! :spin1:

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr191/boodlefish/FTS_1-26-10.jpg

boodlefish
01/29/2010, 05:25 PM
a good tank manufacturer that is closer to you. :bounce1:

http://www.miraclesaquariums.com/

TheRealRuk
01/30/2010, 02:28 PM
So I've learned that my wife is way more vulnerable to purchasing when were actually at the LFS compared to our living room. We settled on the best of both worlds. A 150g cube 36x36x24. LFS actually purchases their tanks through the above mentioned tank manufacturer. Should come in Tuesday or Thursday. And so it begins...

scuba guy ron
01/31/2010, 01:57 PM
congrats on the new purchase as well as the vulnerable wife....LOL

dawaterboy
01/31/2010, 02:06 PM
You mentioned that a bigger tank was an investment? Investments are something you expect a return off, saltwater tanks are money pits!

Good luck with the upgrade. Your going to love all the options you now have.

scoots
01/31/2010, 02:12 PM
So I've learned that my wife is way more vulnerable to purchasing when were actually at the LFS compared to our living room. We settled on the best of both worlds. A 150g cube 36x36x24. LFS actually purchases their tanks through the above mentioned tank manufacturer. Should come in Tuesday or Thursday. And so it begins...

Congrats, I have the same size tank although it was sold as a 140g. Mine is built into the wall in the basement and the room was finished around the tank. I do wish that I had gone 48x36x24 at times though as the price wasn't much different. I would never go back to a tank with less than a 30-36" depth now though. Went from a standard 125 gallon to this tank.

reefman30
01/31/2010, 02:48 PM
A 36x36x24 is 135 gallons. 150 gallons would be 36x36x27 which is the same as marinelands small deep dimensions tank.

TheRealRuk
01/31/2010, 07:12 PM
Return doesn't have to be monetary, does it? I'll have to recheck the dimensions. They were selling it as a 150g for sure. I took the measurements off the display they had at the shop so I can make a stand. I'll bet I measured from the top of the base to the bottom of the rim as opposed to the full height. (Nothing gets past you guys...)

jeffmerrill
01/31/2010, 07:45 PM
Congrats, good choice, you will be happy. Making me wish my 150G wasn't so deep.