PDA

View Full Version : Did I kill my new frags?

dmits41
01/29/2010, 05:45 PM
Last night I traded a frogspawn frag for a hawkins echinata and a pearlberry frag, but I was on my way up to a commitment that I had to fulfill. It was about 10 degrees outside, but since the car would only be cold for a couple hours and I had the frags sealed in a cooler I thought the water wouldn't cool down much. Boy was I wrong. I grabbed them when it was time to drive home and the water was pretty cold, so I tried to hold them in front of the heater the entire hour I was driving home. I floated the bags as soon as I got home, then put the frags in the tank when they were up to temp. I hadn't seen them while working today, but when I got home I noticed that they were pretty pale.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u85/dmits41/001-4.jpg

The hawkins is actually a bit darker blue than in the pic, but still not the deep purple it was when I traded for it. Are these on their way out, or could they come back?

flamron
01/29/2010, 05:58 PM
The one in front looks bleached out white to me - is it the photo? If not, then I'd say it is a goner.

The pearlberry definitely looks stressed, but not so far gone that it is lost.

HTH and good luck,

sportzfish
01/29/2010, 05:59 PM
Last night I traded a frogspawn frag for a hawkins echinata and a pearlberry frag, but I was on my way up to a commitment that I had to fulfill. It was about 10 degrees outside, but since the car would only be cold for a couple hours and I had the frags sealed in a cooler I thought the water wouldn't cool down much. Boy was I wrong. I grabbed them when it was time to drive home and the water was pretty cold, so I tried to hold them in front of the heater the entire hour I was driving home. I floated the bags as soon as I got home, then put the frags in the tank when they were up to temp. I hadn't seen them while working today, but when I got home I noticed that they were pretty pale.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u85/dmits41/001-4.jpg

The hawkins is actually a bit darker blue than in the pic, but still not the deep purple it was when I traded for it. Are these on their way out, or could they come back?

When you placed them in your tank did they slough off alot of material? I will be positive and say that they will make it.

dmits41
01/29/2010, 06:04 PM
The one in front is actually light blue instead of white, I'm just not very good with photography. I didn't see any sloughing off of material once they reached the tank either. The hawkins (front) seems to have a little something coming out of each tip, but it doesn't look like polyps. More like what a tubeworm reaches out to catch food in the water.

flamron
01/29/2010, 06:04 PM
I've seen some of my SPS throw "feeder" tentacles. That may be what the hawkins is doing. I would say that is a good sign.

Bigmike
01/29/2010, 06:12 PM
I'd say they are stressed... but with a healthy tank they wont have trouble making it

boodlefish
01/29/2010, 08:37 PM
looks like you should try to put them somewhere in your tank with lower light and high flow~ they look ****ed off. good luck

joshrules123456
01/29/2010, 08:43 PM
I think they would make it, Ive rescued alot of corals left for dead in lfs's n such, and if your corals wernt frozen, id say its light weight compared to some things ive dealt with. dont jump the gun, give it a while, ive seen things grow from 3 pollups on a rock!

Nanook
01/29/2010, 09:21 PM
50/50:D Best luck to you though...nice size frags.

elijaher
01/29/2010, 09:23 PM
Keeped us posted they could make it. Good luck.

spsal23
01/30/2010, 03:28 AM
the pearlberrry looks bleached but looks fine, the other cant really see it to definitively say... good water parameters will fix them up quick

Reeferland
01/30/2010, 03:55 AM
naw they look okay definately gona make it if your tank is stable.

menthol
01/30/2010, 04:48 AM
that happened to me before too, it was the opposite for me (got pretty warm). That is also how my echinata looked like after acclimation, the zoox left the coral, it will color up eventually, in my case, pale brown.

luther1200
01/30/2010, 02:16 PM
I've gad frags look like that or worse and recover. You have a good chance I would think.

dmits41
01/30/2010, 04:53 PM
They are still pale, but not bleached yet. The hawkins is a little lighter than yesterday but still has a couple of those feeders out. Should I put them in lower light for now?