PDA

View Full Version : Alk test kits

Nanook
01/29/2010, 07:57 PM
Well, I have used Lamotte alkalinity test kits for just about ten years now. Since I am having issues with acropora tips browning out and monti/LPS dying off, I figured I better be sure on my alk numbers.

Lamotte 8.9

ELOS 8.0

Salifert 9.6

So, my Lamotte is right in the middle:D I am surprised at the differences in test kits though.

rick12
01/29/2010, 08:01 PM
im no expert by any means. but i think the difference is minimal and not likely able to be the determinate of the problem with your corals.
what do others think? is this range out of line? all looks ok to me!

Nanook
01/29/2010, 08:09 PM
I agree on alkalinity not being my issue, just wanted to be safe though. I am just a bit surprised and the variance between different brands.

rick12
01/29/2010, 08:33 PM
yeh lots of variance! always wonder if it matters though? i use api for calc and for dkh and elos or salfrit for mag.
like i say i am no expert and i only test for those three. dont bother with phos and nit. any more. always reads zero with those test kits anyway (i know its not correct)
never test for ph.

DiverDave2
03/06/2010, 02:09 AM
Can someone please tell me what api is? Aquarium Pharmacuticals?

psykokid
03/06/2010, 02:13 AM
Can someone please tell me what api is? Aquarium Pharmacuticals?

yup

Bryan
03/06/2010, 04:57 AM
I have found the Salifert ALk reads high, API and Lamotte almost always match. Trust the Lamotte

bertoni
03/06/2010, 05:22 PM
I don't know whether Elos or LaMotte are calibrated for reading seawater, but if they're not, you'd need to add about 10% to them to compensate for the different titration endpoint. I suspect the LaMotte is calibrated for fresh water, but I might be wrong.

Of course, with the results I see posted for various alkalinity kits, I think that have the same sign bit might be victory. :)