PDA

View Full Version : Candy Cane Hogfish & Fairy Wrasse

Robka
01/29/2010, 10:47 PM
Not sure what happened to my comment, but I was wondering if anyone had experience with mixing a Candy Cane Hogfish with other Wrasse? I have a Solar Fairy Wrasse and would like to now if they are compatible?

Thanks,

Robka

wrasseguy2
01/30/2010, 12:22 AM
should not be any problems i have mixed them and seen plenty of others do it with no problems

Robka
01/30/2010, 01:54 PM
Thanks for your help:)

lman
01/30/2010, 07:56 PM
I traded my candy cane hog as he attacked my smaller fairy wrasses and my cleaner wrasse. He would hide in the rocks and then shoot out and chase one of the wrasses.

Robka
01/30/2010, 09:47 PM
I traded my candy cane hog as he attacked my smaller fairy wrasses and my cleaner wrasse. He would hide in the rocks and then shoot out and chase one of the wrasses.

Was there a major size difference in the fish or was the Candy Cane Hogfish added first?

Thanks for your help,

Robka

iamwrasseman
01/30/2010, 10:14 PM
the solar fairy wrasse is one that i would not house with a candy cane hog . the solarius is very territorial once established and really can get to be a pain in the ars.what size tank do you have and how long has the solarius been in the tank?

Robka
01/30/2010, 10:39 PM
the solar fairy wrasse is one that i would not house with a candy cane hog . the solarius is very territorial once established and really can get to be a pain in the ars.what size tank do you have and how long has the solarius been in the tank?

Tank is 110g & the SFW has only been in there for a couple months, but has not bothered my Gramma or Two bar chromis group.

Thanks again,

Robka

A. Grandis
01/31/2010, 12:48 AM
Well, if that Candy Cane Hogfish is the Peppermint Hog (Bodianus sepiacaudus), I had trouble too. Please refer to the thread below:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1782106

I lost my Assessor, 2 Green Chromis and 1 Gramma. All the fishes were, of course, smaller than the Hog.
From now on I will try only about same size or bigger fishes than the Hog.

I am in the process of choosing compatible fishes with the Hog. I would love to hear from you. Please give me your list, so I can try to get some more fishes for my tank.

Thanks!
Grandis.

edwing206
01/31/2010, 04:19 AM

I had the same experience but with a two spot hogfish. He killed 3 fairy wrasses and attacks any new fish that I add. I finally caught that little punk and he's in my sump waiting to be traded.

supernatura1
01/31/2010, 08:53 AM
i had one that harrassed my mystery wrasse but never harrassed any other fish.

thenomangia1984
01/31/2010, 09:04 AM
I have a two spot hog fish and he doesn't bother my leopard, fairy, or six line wrasse.

Robka
01/31/2010, 12:04 PM
It sounds like it is about 60/40 that the Hogfish will be aggressive towards my tankmates. I'm not sure if those are good enough odds to pull the trigger on his purchase?

Thanks again for all the help & anyone else with experience on this would be greatly appreciated.

Robka
01/31/2010, 06:30 PM

Does anyone else have a negative experience with the Solarius being aggressive?

Thanks,

Robka

Sigmund
02/01/2010, 01:30 PM
My CC hogfish is in with a Mature Male BS Leopard Wrasse and a Possum Wrasse with no problems... Even have a Swalesi Basslet that he ignors. Luck of the draw, I have had 2 that have been great tankmates. On the other hand I have had 3 mystery wrasses that have all been terrors, others seem to have had good luck with Mystery wrasses...

iamwrasseman
02/01/2010, 11:27 PM
i actually have has aggresion issues more than once with the solarius . i have a huge one right now that was great when we first got him 6 ,7 years ago then he turned aggresive for quite a while and now the past year he is a teddy bear and is great .never have i seen that happen but anything can happen i am slowly finding out .

SoulFish
02/11/2010, 05:24 PM
I have a candy cane and a candy hogfish in the tank with a carpenter wrasse. They are all the same size. And so far not too much fighting. The candy trys to pick at the candy cane. But not all the time. So far I'm treating them like aggressive fw fish. Defurded aggression. Put a few in there the same size same shape and they will almost cancel each others aggression out.

Nihoa
02/11/2010, 06:16 PM
our twinspot beat the living hell out of a mystery wrasse larger than himself. mystery wrasse laid on the bottom of the tank for a day with no fins and blood leaking out its mouth but somehow recovered. the twinspot also beat the crap out of our firefish and tailspot blenny. we gave him to a friend and the hog beat the crap out of his watchman, killed a mandarin and was harassing a potters wrasse before being pulled from that tank. i was a big fan of the twinspot, wicked fish, but im a bigger fan of having a variety of fish.

iamwrasseman
02/11/2010, 07:00 PM
the twinspots are very beautiful but can go either way . i have a very small 2" one that is a ***** cat .i have had others that were lions ! they really get quite ugly when they reach maturity ,mine took five years and all of a sudden he was so ugly .

38bill
02/11/2010, 11:21 PM
I have a fairly large Solarius and five other fairy wrasses together (and a couple of Halichoeres too). I also have a Red Fin Fairy that was the lord of the tank and basically chased and harassed every fish until he got banished to a tank in my sump system. Before the Solar was very timid and shy but now he took over as boss of the other wrasse's. He lets them know he is king but he isn't really mean and he doesnt bother any of the other fish. In fact all the wrasse's will hang together sometimes, makes for an interesting school of fish.

stormrider27
02/16/2010, 06:03 PM
My CC terrorized and eventually killed my wrasse plus ate my peppermint shrimp. When I remodel my tank he is going bye bye :wave: