PDA

View Full Version : Can you identify this "thing" on my tomini tang? (pic included)

rgonzalez
01/30/2010, 08:46 AM
Tonight I was feeding my fish and saw a white spot (bigger than ich) on his right side right behind its' gil. This is the best pic I could take. The spot is actually raised, even though in the pic it looks like it is flat.

I examine my fish nightly and did not see this spot last night. So either I missed it when it was smaller, or it totally popped up today.

I have no nitrites, ammonia and close to 0 nitrates. Salinity is reading 1.027 and temp is between 78 - 80.

Is this a fungus? Any ideas?

noahm
01/30/2010, 10:17 AM
Try for a better pic. Just too hard to see.

Sk8r
01/30/2010, 10:53 AM
Fuzzy patch is likely fungus. Your salinity is .001 high. Try for 1.025 (the recommended range is 1.024 (half a cup of salt mix per gallon) up to 1.026, and use a refractometer. Instability in salinity is hard on critters: if you don't have an autotopoff, do get one. Meanwhile, your tang: I'd try fixing the salt level, and check your ph and alkalinity, just for grins. If the ph isn't 7.9, and if the alk isn't 8.3 or higher, fix that. Once you've gotten all your params in line, you'll have eliminated irritation as a cause, and the fish won't be worse off. If it doesn't improve, then you will probably need to catch him and medicate.

Ev's Reef
01/30/2010, 11:10 AM
If it wasn't raised I would have said a scratch from the tang swimming through the rockwork, but since it is, I am going to have to go with Fungal Infection. Better Pic would Help though

rgonzalez
01/30/2010, 07:40 PM
Now there are two new white patches. However, the new patches dont seem like fluffs of cotton, and the old one is not raised either - they're more like scratches. One on the top of his head and the other in the back by his tail. They've formed in the past few hours. I've added no new aquascaping and my RBTA has been in the tank for a week at this point.

What's going on? Fighting with another fish or invert? Getting stung by RBTA?

Here's a new pic: