PDA

View Full Version : ebo jager heater question

plaz
01/30/2010, 10:45 AM
Are all eheim ebo jager heaters fully submersible? I have several placed horizontally in sump and have not ever had an issue. However, I am now reading on several websites that they are "only submersible to the water line" or are "not fully submersible." They all look the same - is it just extra protection against law suits to say that or are they not all fully submersible?

Thanks!

Stanley-Reefer
01/30/2010, 11:15 AM
NO! Some newer ones are, but the one's that are not have the "do not submerse beyond this point" with line on the heater--mine is like this and I have it in the overflow.

detroit_fan
01/30/2010, 11:28 AM
This is a tricky subject, but I beleeve the answer is yes, they are all fully submersible. When the comapny was ebo jager they paid to have the heaters UL listed and qualified as fully sub.

When eheim took over they didn't pay to have the testing done, so they labeled them not sub, even though they can be for liability reasons. Now they paid for testing and the new ones are fully sub. I have a few of the "non-sub", all have been fully sub for years, not problems at all. I would say you will be fine with them submerged.

lordjnx
01/30/2010, 01:10 PM
mine is a "do not submerge" model...

its been under the water and going strong for over a year

i agree i think it was just a legal do not submerge

rcorbitt
01/30/2010, 04:44 PM
All the Jager heaters are submersible. I posed this question to the Eheim rep a couple of months ago. It seems that some lawyer added the do not submerge line.

johnd651
02/06/2010, 12:29 PM
i just got a new, UL listed fully submersible ebo heater, and there is a difference in the electrical power cord being used from the "submerse to this line" ones