PDA

View Full Version : Aiptasia

meco65
01/30/2010, 01:40 PM
I had a quick question. Would it be possible to kill aiptasia by Hypo-salinity. And still save the Bio-Filter on -in the LR.

The_Codfather
01/30/2010, 01:55 PM
No.. Aiptasia can live though a nuclear war.. I read somewhere and i wish i could find the link but a guy had some rocked covered with it and took it out and placed it in a shed for almost two years.. he wanted to set up a new tank and wanted use the rock from the shed for base rock.. it come right back

meco65
01/30/2010, 02:01 PM
WOW. I was thinking eather hypo or ro/di. But I may have to boil them and restart the Bio-filter.

The_Codfather
01/30/2010, 02:12 PM
WOW. I was thinking eather hypo or ro/di. But I may have to boil them and restart the Bio-filter. How big of a tank and how much rock with Aiptasia?.. Reason for asking is you could get some Berghia Nudibranch.. only bad thing with them is after they have eaten all the Aiptasia they will die and give off some nasty toxins

Octoshark
01/30/2010, 02:35 PM
Peppermint shrimp will eat the smaller aiptasia. For the rest you can use Joe's Juice or Aiptasia-X

Worked for me.

meco65
01/30/2010, 02:38 PM
The Aiptasia is in a 20 gal. tank FOWLR.

The_Codfather
01/30/2010, 03:05 PM
The Aiptasia is in a 20 gal. tank FOWLR.

Seeing they are that big and in a nano plus being a LOWLR I would op for the Aiptasia X.. Peppermint shrimp and copperband butterfles are a hit or miss plus being in a small tank that's even adding more Bio load

meco65
01/30/2010, 05:05 PM
Cool thanks I may try Joe's Juice or Aiptasia-X for the big ones than a Peppermint shrimp for the small ones.

Sunken3
02/04/2010, 12:29 AM
i don't know others experience - but the chemical cures seem to kill the original intended aiptasia and sprout 10 more in its place... berghia seem to be the best cure - though they present challenges of their own.

Hwang
02/04/2010, 12:51 AM
i tried hot water and it didnt work too well. Havent tried aiptasia X yet though

CJO
02/04/2010, 08:33 AM
i don't know others experience - but the chemical cures seem to kill the original intended aiptasia and sprout 10 more in its place... berghia seem to be the best cure - though they present challenges of their own.

I haven't had that issue with Aiptasia-X. If it is applied right, it doesn't spread or come back. You just have to make sure that you squirt it right near its mouth without touching it and that you use enough.

CJ

MaineReef22
02/04/2010, 09:05 AM
I had a quick question. Would it be possible to kill aiptasia by Hypo-salinity. And still save the Bio-Filter on -in the LR.

Honestly theres nothing better than aiptasia x i got it off ebay for like 8 bucks cause my tank was loaded with them from me trying all the incorrect ways of getting rid of them. It worked amazing but for it to work correctly i suggest doing the clean up when you do the water change that way you can put some aiptasia x on them which will kill them then siphon all the dead tissue out that will take care of them.

Sunken3
02/08/2010, 11:34 PM
I haven't had that issue with Aiptasia-X. If it is applied right, it doesn't spread or come back. You just have to make sure that you squirt it right near its mouth without touching it and that you use enough.

CJ

Nice to hear... maybe I'm just unlucky. It definitely kills them, I just always end up with so many more little ones... I just assume they're spraying spores to spite me!

sanchoy
02/09/2010, 01:39 AM
Joes juice and aptasia X will do the job temporary. Later they will still keep coming back, you need something to wipe out the entire colony and I have heard the Berghia nudibranchs are the perfect weapon against aiptasia. They will eat the small colonies.

Larger butterflies/peppermints will only go for the seen small/mid size nems. Even than odds are the peps and butters will not even touch the nems. I tried copperband and peps will no success. I am planning on getting the berghias soon. With all the money i spent on joes juice I could of had this solved with berghias.

The_Codfather
02/09/2010, 06:59 AM
Pros and cons for Berghia nudibranchs .. Cons... 1.. Avg $25 a pop ( most times need 5 to eat one large aptasia) .. 2 After eating all the aptasia they will die and give off some real nasty toxins... Pro's 1.. They will eat nothing but aptasia

theyammieguy
02/09/2010, 07:55 AM
I to have had no luck with joes juice. It will kill the ones I inject but more always pop up. Within the past month, I have some clearish blue ones as well as the brown ones.

I need to try the berghia. Are yall positive they won't eat zoa's?

Chupakabra-King
02/09/2010, 08:10 AM
If they eat zoas then im a monkeys uncle ! LOLOL

Ive got some berghias coming today . I got a 500 polyp show rock full of zoas yesterday ( no aiptasia on it ) , so I will let ya know if I see them on my zoas. They are supposed to only eat aiptasia sp nems .

theyammieguy
02/09/2010, 08:13 AM
Good deal. I'm tired of fighting with aps and I want to transfer some corals to the 40g but don't want to introduce apstasia.

Chupakabra-King
02/09/2010, 08:44 AM
Good deal. I'm tired of fighting with aps and I want to transfer some corals to the 40g but don't want to introduce apstasia.

Good luck with that . Ive got aiptasia in all my tanks . All it takes is one ! Dang little @#$% :mad2:

theyammieguy
02/09/2010, 09:01 AM
Yup. I just did some reading and the berghia is non toxic.

Where did you buy yours from?

Chupakabra-King
02/09/2010, 09:07 AM
Yup. I just did some reading and the berghia is non toxic.

Where did you buy yours from?

Carolina Reef Growers. They are a local outfit . I got free shipping so it only cost me $15 per nudi.

theyammieguy
02/09/2010, 09:09 AM
That looks like that's the average price.

Chupakabra-King
02/09/2010, 09:12 AM
That looks like that's the average price.

pretty much . sucks cause they are little buggers . You definitely should get like 4 for that price .

CJO
02/09/2010, 09:34 AM
Nice to hear... maybe I'm just unlucky. It definitely kills them, I just always end up with so many more little ones... I just assume they're spraying spores to spite me!

You are correct in that! That is why you have to make sure that you start to squirt the Aiptasia-X before you touch the Aiptasia. This seals off the mouth so it can't release any spores.

Joes juice and aptasia X will do the job temporary. Later they will still keep coming back, you need something to wipe out the entire colony and I have heard the Berghia nudibranchs are the perfect weapon against aiptasia.

I haven't seen any in a couple of weeks now, but I only started off with a few. If you have a bunch, Berghia Nudibranchs are the way to go. While other nudibranchs eat all sorts of things (including polyps), the Berghia only eat Aiptasia. However, they won't work if you only have a couple of Aiptasia since they have a tendancy to die before finding any.

CJ

Chupakabra-King
02/09/2010, 08:44 PM
Hey I just opened a new thread in the ID forum on the "berghia" I just recieved. I dont think I got a real berghia . WHat do you guys think ?

Here is the link to the thread .

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1793105