PDA

View Full Version : New 125 or 150 tank - All Glass or go for Oceanic

gscottnelson
01/30/2010, 09:08 PM
I understand Oceanic and All-Glass are the same companies but is it worth spending the extra money for the Oceanic on a tank this size?

I am most interested in durability.

Any advice?
Scott

EdKruzel
01/30/2010, 09:12 PM
I've owned tanks of numerous sizes from each factory with equal satisfaction.

Fish_wiz2
01/30/2010, 09:27 PM
Unless you are going with an Oceanic TECH series tank, i've found standard tanks both very similar in quality. Hope that helps, Wiz ;)

ultreef
01/30/2010, 10:40 PM
There are the advantages of the Oceanic over the All-Glass/Aqueon tanks.

Starphire front glass (120g using 1/2" glass so starphire will start to make a difference)
Black silicone
Back panel of glass is smoke/black glass (it is on my 120g RR, not sure if it is on the ultimate non RR model)
Bevelled edges on glass.
Better looking trim all around.

muddybluewater
01/30/2010, 10:59 PM
Call them up and go to the factory and take a look at the differences. I think they are in the Dallas area.

spleify
01/30/2010, 11:58 PM
Either way I would go with the 150, or as big as you can. I wich I would have went bigger on my last one.

petrio
01/31/2010, 12:39 AM
I had a 180 gallon oceanic tank for the past 7 years good looking tank but one think never really liked is the center glass brace! just got a 120 tech oceanic that will be putting p in a week !!

Fish_wiz2
01/31/2010, 08:13 AM
I had a 180 gallon oceanic tank for the past 7 years good looking tank but one think never really liked is the center glass brace! just got a 120 tech oceanic that will be putting p in a week !!

Those are the old skool models, my 125 has that too and HATE it! But it is a nice top down box ;)

There are the advantages of the Oceanic over the All-Glass/Aqueon tanks.

Starphire front glass (120g using 1/2" glass so starphire will start to make a difference)
Black silicone
Back panel of glass is smoke/black glass (it is on my 120g RR, not sure if it is on the ultimate non RR model)
Bevelled edges on glass.
Better looking trim all around.

I believe these are the TECH series and not the standard.

Wiz ;)

washingtonstate
01/31/2010, 09:29 AM
I am now looking into Starphire 120 Oceanic, heard that Marineland makes a 150 gallon in Starphire also.
Wanted to go with Acrylic Tru Vu or Sea Clear but heard all negative comments about scratching issues.

Fish_wiz2
01/31/2010, 11:30 AM
I am now looking into Starphire 120 Oceanic, heard that Marineland makes a 150 gallon in Starphire also.
Wanted to go with Acrylic Tru Vu or Sea Clear but heard all negative comments about scratching issues.

Yep, the oceanic tech tanks are pretty similar to the Marineland deep dimension tanks. I would go Marineland though because of the unique dimensions. But i also agree with staying away from acrylic since it is prone to scratching.

ultreef
01/31/2010, 09:20 PM
Those are the old skool models, my 125 has that too and HATE it! But it is a nice top down box ;)

I believe these are the TECH series and not the standard.

Wiz ;)

I can assure you these are standard features for the ULTIMATE RR. I have a 120g reef and a 210 aro tank and they both have all these features. The TECH has the same features except for the eurobracing and single centered overflow instead of glass center brace and dual overflow off to each side.