PDA

View Full Version : Calcium reactor ????

johnnydoe
01/30/2010, 09:37 PM
are they needed or not ??

elFloyd
01/30/2010, 09:58 PM
It depends on the size of your tank and if you have coral. Dosing or even frequent water changes are OK if your tank is 90g or less. It just becomes more cost effective and easier to have a reactor on a 90g and larger. (90g seems to be the threshold)

teesquare
01/30/2010, 10:09 PM
You have some options in how you deliver Calcium, Alkalinity, and trace elements to your tank.

Calcium reactors address most of those needs.

But there are also "dosing" systems, or just measured 2, or 3 part products that be manually administered.

Check the Reef Chemistry forum, and Advanced topics for more info on these.
Good Luck!
T

muddybluewater
01/30/2010, 10:25 PM
If you have a lot of sps and lps corals you will save money in the long term but it will cost you up front. Once set up it is very easy to maintain your system with a calcium reactor.

johnnydoe
01/30/2010, 10:28 PM
i got a 75 tank 45 sump , i have a Calcium Reactor , all was doing fine , i stopped using it becouse i changed salt mix ( Tropic Marin Pro Reef to SeaChem Reef Salt ) after i did that corals seam to be fading away very slowly . i never dose , never tryed . think i should dose or turn reactor back on . if i should dose , with what . thanks . the reason i turned it off was besouse i was trying to find was with less elec . plus the new salt im trying has a high calcium content

elFloyd
01/31/2010, 08:20 AM
i got a 75 tank 45 sump , i have a Calcium Reactor , all was doing fine , i stopped using it becouse i changed salt mix ( Tropic Marin Pro Reef to SeaChem Reef Salt ) after i did that corals seam to be fading away very slowly . i never dose , never tryed . think i should dose or turn reactor back on . if i should dose , with what . thanks . the reason i turned it off was besouse i was trying to find was with less elec . plus the new salt im trying has a high calcium content

What are your parameters? You should always test the water to monitor what you are adding. (adding calc = test... adding mag = test.) Otherwise you can't judge what you are doing to the overall water quality.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/31/2010, 08:36 AM
No offense intended, but I don't understand how this can be a poll. Obviously they are never "necessary". Desirable for many types of systems perhaps, but clearly not necessary.

There are many ways to maintain calcium and alkalinity. Using one of them is necessary. Limewater, CaCO3/CO2 reactor, two part systems, and close relatives of these all work fine. :)

These have more:

The “How To” Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners, Part 2: What Chemicals Must be Supplemented
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php

How to Select a Calcium and Alkalinity Supplementation Scheme
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

tmz
01/31/2010, 10:08 AM
aThey are not necessary but can be useful. I have not used mine for over siix months since limewater dosing alone is meeting my system's needs.

johnnydoe
01/31/2010, 01:09 PM
im am still a little confused , hes a question what does a calcium reactor have any affect on besides adding calcium also im trying to understand is why wouldnt simple water changes once a week work for everything .

HighlandReefer
01/31/2010, 01:15 PM
A calcium reactor will add calcium, alkalinity, some heavy metals and CO2 to your system. The alk and calcium are a plus. The heavy metals probably are not a problem. The CO2 will have a reducing effect on your pH.

Water changes using a high alk and high calcium salt mix may work if your tanks demand (number of coral....ect.) is not very great. Otherwise it would be cheaper to use supplements in an appropriate manor. ;)

johnnydoe
01/31/2010, 01:17 PM
supplements as in ??

tmz
01/31/2010, 01:18 PM
A calcium reactor uses acidified water via CO2 addition ( ph 6.5 to 6.9 usually) to dissolve the media which is predominately calcium carbonate. It provides calcium and carbonate(alkalinity) in the effluent from it. This effluent also adds low ph water which can reduce overalll system ph.

For some systems particularly those without stony corals and/or heavy coraline growth , regular water changes can be enough, since salt mixes contain calcium and alkalinity ,etc., in varying proportions depending on the particular salt brand you choose to use.

johnnydoe
01/31/2010, 01:20 PM
i did use Tropic Marin Pro Reef with cal reactor now switched to SeaChem Reef Salt no reactor

tmz
01/31/2010, 01:21 PM
Supplemtning calcium and alkalinity can be achieved in a number of ways. The most common are: a calcium reactor, kalk( limewater/calcium hydroxide) and or 2 part additons consisting of primarily calcium carbonate/ bicarbonate and calcium chloride.

johnnydoe
01/31/2010, 01:23 PM
the last thing and only thing i used was biofuel for a week , stopped becouse i think it affects my proitine skimmer to not skim right . its like wet skimming

johnnydoe
01/31/2010, 01:25 PM
what product does , 2 part additons consisting of primarily calcium carbonate/ bicarbonate and calcium chloride.

tmz
01/31/2010, 01:46 PM
ESV, Bionic, etc. are some of them. You should reference Randy's articles which he linked for you in his post.

Neoz
01/31/2010, 01:57 PM
These have more:

The “How To” Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners, Part 2: What Chemicals Must be Supplemented
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php

How to Select a Calcium and Alkalinity Supplementation Scheme
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

Thank you very much for those two links Randy! Being new to reef keeping and the confusion surrounding the chemistry part of this hobby, those two links are gold mines with tons of reading. I learned more from them then I have in the 6 months of reef keeping :thumbsup:

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/01/2010, 08:40 AM
You're very welcome.

Hapy Reefing. :)