PDA

View Full Version : will zoa regain full color after severe stress colorloss?

rxbigs
01/31/2010, 10:54 AM
was wondering if zoa will re-acquire original coloration after colorloss?
the colorloss was due to severe shipping stress in cold winter temp...most died and survivor turned white.
after weeks i'm seeing some color return (faint) but was wondering if it will return back to original?
thanks

Spssteven
01/31/2010, 12:46 PM
I bought some from a guy once and they were white. Got there full color back actually really vibrant. But it seemed like it took forever. Notsure if it happens to all of them but I think you can get it back, worth a try

stevejrnc
01/31/2010, 12:55 PM
i had a heater go out while on vacation
lost everything but zoas and palys

a few green palys turned white and after a week or so have regained color

also i have a huge colony maybe 1000 polyp eagle eyes lost half
weird thing is that about 10-15 of them now have a bright yellow center now

Spssteven
01/31/2010, 04:44 PM
I think they will come around

RevHtree
01/31/2010, 05:25 PM
Yes they will. :)

650-IS350
01/31/2010, 10:37 PM
yes, depending on the sensitivity of that polyp, your tank conditions, and nothing is disturbing it. Some faster than others.

A. Grandis
01/31/2010, 11:53 PM
I had trouble with some zoas when moving and, in my case, with extra heat.
They bleached!
My tank was doing fine and stable for 5 months after the incident and that was when I could notice the colors to be almost like before. After 6 months they were still comming back to normal. It took long time for them, but they came very close to normal.

Make sure you keep the temperature stable and do 10% water changes every 2 weeks or every month. Avoid activated carbon. Keep water flow and lights in good shape. Don't change the lights until they get better. Add some nutritious invert food in the system to help them "fight back". Do not overskim the tank!

Grandis.

nivram
02/02/2010, 12:00 AM
Avoid activated carbon. Keep water flow and lights in good shape. Don't change the lights until they get better. Add some nutritious invert food in the system to help them "fight back". Do not overskim the tank!

Grandis.

Just curious. Why do you suggest avoiding activated carbon?

dawaterboy
02/02/2010, 07:25 PM
I had trouble with some zoas when moving and, in my case, with extra heat.
They bleached!
My tank was doing fine and stable for 5 months after the incident and that was when I could notice the colors to be almost like before. After 6 months they were still comming back to normal. It took long time for them, but they came very close to normal.

Make sure you keep the temperature stable and do 10% water changes every 2 weeks or every month. Avoid activated carbon. Keep water flow and lights in good shape. Don't change the lights until they get better. Add some nutritious invert food in the system to help them "fight back". Do not overskim the tank!

Grandis.

So how is changing 10% of your water a month going to help? I really would like you to explain this one!

I would like to remind people to double check everything before doing it!

sedor
02/02/2010, 07:45 PM
:lol: unfortunately this is one situation where water changes, carbon etc won't make a difference.

Just keep everything the same, if anything can pull through serious stress its a zoanthid. Good luck!

firereef
02/02/2010, 10:24 PM
Just keep your tank healthy and they will return.

rxbigs
02/03/2010, 08:23 PM
cool...thanks everyone, i feel much better.
i've grown attached to these guys since they're survivors. i find myself checking them out way more than my other inhabitants!
take care everyone.

A. Grandis
02/04/2010, 11:34 PM
Just curious. Why do you suggest avoiding activated carbon?

Personal experiences for many years, that's all.
I've said not to overskim the tank and nobody asked why.
If you follow that daily/monthly maintenance schedule you will have better chances in the short and long run. Personal experiences, that's it.

I don't mean to be rude.

Grandis.