PDA

View Full Version : Hello all! Newb just tryin to learn

BugiSti
01/31/2010, 12:01 PM
Hello everyone! My name is Josh , im 22 from bristol,Tn. Im starting to setup a tank (55g). I dont have really any experience in sw but ive had fw for years. Ive mostly kept reptiles my entire life tho.. I currenty have 5 Leopard Geckos.... Im also a Golden Retriever owner (more like hes the leader around here tho haha). His name is Marley (not named after the movie :lol: ) and he is a lil over 1.... Im also a car enthusiast and my current project is a 2002 WRX with complete STi swap for those who are into cars..... umm... im just here to learn so any advice would be greatly appreciated! im currently trying to decide on a skimmer so advice on that subject would be awesome but ill head on to the equipment section for some reading. Thanks !

Josh

Fish_wiz2
01/31/2010, 12:05 PM
[welcome]
Hope you enjoy it here and definitely READ up! Wiz ;)

Sisterlimonpot
01/31/2010, 12:08 PM
If you haven't already read through this (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1031074)

BugiSti
01/31/2010, 12:29 PM
haha yeah just read thro it. . some very amazing articles. Good reading! Thanks everyone!

jmski333
01/31/2010, 12:31 PM
i'd recommenced an octo extreme 160 for a skimmer. i got an extreme200 on my 90 and it works awesome. a 160 would be perfect for your tank.

BugiSti
01/31/2010, 12:43 PM
thanks for the recommendation! Im really trying to find some sump designs n layouts... any advice for some good reading on that subject??

Chiefsurfer
01/31/2010, 12:46 PM
Well honestly, if you have the option, I would not start with a 55. The reason I say that, is that for a FEW more inches in space front to back, you get a lot more volume, and space for aquascaping. a 75 and a 90, are both 4 ft long, and only a few inches wider.

As to the skimmer, I will stick with my usual reccomendations. Eshopps, reefoctopus, bubble magnus, vertex are all reasonably priced good skimmers. To go more into it, are you going to use a sump? Or have everything in the DT?

>>EDIT: Just saw your response saying you were going to use a sump. In that case, you have more options for skimmers, most of which I am not very familiar with. I would suggest going about 50% larger rating than actual system. Let's say 55 DT, with 20 gallon sump, I would look for something rated in the 100-125 gallon range for a skimmer.

As to the tank, one of the most rewarding things is to make it yourself. You can just go buy a BASIC tank, get some sheets of acrylic at HD, and make it into a sump. Pretty cheap, and you can theoreticaly make it however you want. The most basic is this below. Compartment ! would likely have a filter sock, and is the drain chamber from your display tank. Compartment B would be a good place to put your heaters, skimmer, and any other equip you have. Compartment C can be for your refugium(a nice place to grow chaeto, or another form of good algae for good nutrient export), and D can be for your return pump. Very basic.

BugiSti
01/31/2010, 01:03 PM
i already have the tank, haha i started to go with a 29g but quickly realized i wanted more so i went back and got the 55.... bad thing is, is that its tempered.... didnt realize that would make it harder to do things.... so what kinda design will i be looking at for the upper section? and yeah i really really want to have a refugium. It sounds like it would be crazy not to have one... thanks for the help chief!

Chiefsurfer
01/31/2010, 02:09 PM
I haven't really understood the difficulties of tempered glass, but everyone says its a big problem to drill.

Honestly, I have heard the hang-on-overflows are more trouble than they are worth. If there's a chance of you upgrading, I would use the 55, without a sump. You can get all HOB suplies, and even make a small corner overflow with small powerhead-pump to move water through that space, and hide heaters and everything in there. You could also look at a aquaclear filter refugium. If this is something you want ot last you like a year, to decide if you like it or not, then upgrade, I'd go that route. You can DEFINITELY do a tank without a sump. You could also build a "AIO" set-up with like 1ftx1ft space to either side if you don't mind non-360 viewing. That would be like making the tank a 40-gallon with a 10-gallon sump. Just some ideas. I just don't like the idea of the hang-on overflows.

BugiSti
01/31/2010, 02:14 PM
yeah i dont really like the idea of a hob .... hmm.... im gonna look into the aquaclear refugium.... i believe ive seen one but not sure... ill go check it out.. thanks again chief!

BugiSti
01/31/2010, 02:17 PM
oh the reason i dont want HOB is that it pushes the tank further out.... is there no way to do an internal overflow with a pump that sends the overflow water to the sump system?

fleming3
01/31/2010, 05:00 PM
+1 on making the sump yourself. I used a 20G long from petsmart to make mine. 20 bucks, and another $25 worth of cut 1/4" glass from my local glass shop. Grab a tube of 100% silicone and you're on your way. Beats paying $300 plus for a custom acrylic one. Here are some pics of mine:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1358&pictureid=8563

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1358&pictureid=8564

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1358&pictureid=8562

BugiSti
01/31/2010, 06:25 PM
thats killer !! thanks so much for the pics! I believe ive decided to use the same idea. The only issue im now having is that my tank is tempered... ALL THE WAY AROUND! sooo now im looking at overflows trying to decide which one is best.... CPR?? Lifereef??? ahhh idk...

BugiSti
01/31/2010, 06:43 PM
ok so ive been thinking... I have a Topfin600 that came with my tank... couldnt i modify it by cutting a hole on one side of the filter and run a drain down to my sump?? that would mean that if power went out, the pump stopped and it couldnt siphon back... but surely someone has already thought about this... sooo wheres the flaw in my plan? haha!

Chiefsurfer
01/31/2010, 06:48 PM
Noone near you(glass shop?) will drill tempered glass? I don't know if it's possible, like said, i don't know the intricacies of tempered glass. There's got to be a way to do it. I know it's probably a LOT of work, but how about the side-drilled holes. For this, you would have to cut the silicone on 3 seams of the tank to completely remove 1 pane of the tempered glass and have a custom tank builder silicone a non-tempered, already drilled piece, of glass in it's place? That might work, but I don't know how much it might cost.

^You have to put a divider. A powerfilter will maintain a syphon if power goes out. The problem with using 2 pumps, is keeping the 2 pumps ACTUALLY running at the right speed. If one runs faster than the other, you will get either an overflowing DT, or an overflowing sump.

BugiSti
01/31/2010, 06:54 PM
na ive done some research and they say you cant drill tempered glass... they temper glass to increase the strength of it.... idk but ive read several several articles and i just dont think its worth it... what do you think of my filter/overflow idea?

BugiSti
01/31/2010, 07:00 PM
whoops didnt see your answer haha sorry

BugiSti
01/31/2010, 07:07 PM
so an overflow inside of the filter? that probably wouldnt be too difficult.... set it up to where the overflow is high/low enough for flow....

fleming3
02/01/2010, 11:22 AM
Have a look at this - yet another valuable resource from Melev: A DIY overflow box:

http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/overflow.html

See this page too - he's got a list of sump layouts and project ideas on the left side of the page. I went here alot when I was trying to determine a layout for my project:

http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

Let us know how it turns out!

zachfishman
02/01/2010, 02:08 PM
I think it was the combination of an automotive and a reef aquarium hobby that sent the US into its current economic recession...

BugiSti
02/01/2010, 08:29 PM
I think it was the combination of an automotive and a reef aquarium hobby that sent the US into its current economic recession...

haha probably!

thanks for the links!!

SaltieG
02/01/2010, 08:36 PM
Get your tank started up and I will come out and check it out when I am in Bristol for the race this year lol

BugiSti
02/02/2010, 07:47 PM
haha! yeah the race is the only thing keeping this town alive.... its fun tho! Which race do you come in for??

drewp808
02/02/2010, 08:18 PM
good luck on your tank

BugiSti
02/02/2010, 09:37 PM
Thanks Drew! hopefully my PS,Lighting,Powerheads,n a few other things will be here on fri and i can get to putting everything together!

BugiSti
02/07/2010, 05:40 PM
well i found a great deal on a 75g with built in overflow! sooo i took my 55g kit back to petsmart. Im going to go pickup the 75g tomorrow!! Very very excited that i get a bigger tank,nice stand, lots of extras , and a tank that is drilled!!!! yay!!!! everyone pray for me that this tank is nice. please? haha i got my skimmer,power heads, pumps, n whatnot in on fri! My lighting should be here on tues. Yay!

BugiSti
02/14/2010, 04:41 PM
Whoot! heres some pics! Need advice on my sump setup... 10g fuge,The large box will be filled full of rock , sandy bottom, the center divider (not the one with the cuts on the bottom) will be cut out and replaced with a section to make the water flow OVER it, then it will go thro the part with the cut bottom. Thats probably confusing i know but dont know how else to explain it.. haha

BugiSti
03/21/2010, 04:52 PM
update!

BugiSti
03/21/2010, 04:53 PM
also ive already started a 37g corner tank!!

ramtmac
03/21/2010, 06:08 PM
What did you decide to use as your skimmer?
I'm looking for one right now.
I'm in a 55 and have already started with sand, rock, etc and am not taking it back because, well, I'm a little broke after this hobby!

BugiSti
03/21/2010, 07:27 PM
I'm using the aquatraders odyssea skimmer with a sump. My lights are AT also n I love them. Keep in mind tho that my skimmer is in a sump.. I think it makes a big difference. Good luck!

js1218
03/21/2010, 07:30 PM
welcome to the the hobby

slater13
03/22/2010, 03:23 PM
Nice setup. Your tank seems to have multiplied. Looks like someone has the fever! :fish1:

BugiSti
05/25/2010, 11:54 PM
just a lil updated pictures!