PDA

View Full Version : Chiller/Fan Programing APEX

Fish Ace
01/31/2010, 01:30 PM
I know it's winter and 20 outside, but I'd like to set this up right. Can anyone make a suggestion on programing the chiller/ tank fans for an apex.

aquamanic
01/31/2010, 01:48 PM
Here's my chiller program:
Fallback ON
If Temp > 78.9 Then ON
If Temp < 78.1 Then OFF

And my canopy fans program:
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Temp > 78.5 Then ON
If Temp < 78.0 Then OFF
If Outlet Left_Halide = ON Then ON

Fish Ace
01/31/2010, 03:02 PM
Here's my chiller program:
Fallback ON
If Temp > 78.9 Then ON
If Temp < 78.1 Then OFF

And my canopy fans program:
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Temp > 78.5 Then ON
If Temp < 78.0 Then OFF
If Outlet Left_Halide = ON Then ON

Looks good that for a apex too? I never really under stood the fall back.

swearint
01/31/2010, 03:02 PM
Aquamanic,

You don't need the Set OFF on your fan outlet. It will override the ' Temp < 78.0 statement and cause the fans to bounce right on the 78.5 mark. It looks like you want the fans to stay ON until the temp drops to less than 78.0.

Todd

swearint
01/31/2010, 03:04 PM
I never really under stood the fall back.

Fallback is a default state that the outlet will switch to if it loses communication with the Apex. It is basically a failsafe position.

Todd

Fish Ace
01/31/2010, 03:10 PM
Fallback is a default state that the outlet will switch to if it loses communication with the Apex. It is basically a failsafe position.

Todd

I thought that was what a 12vdc batter did, so you would not lose program.

aquamanic
01/31/2010, 03:15 PM
You don't need the Set OFF on your fan outlet. It will override the ' Temp < 78.0 statement and cause the fans to bounce right on the 78.5 mark.

Actually you're right IF the lights were off. So it probably does happen at night, but during the day the halides keep the fans on unless the temp falls below 78. But your point is valid.

Fish Ace
01/31/2010, 03:19 PM
Actually you're right IF the lights were off. So it probably does happen at night, but during the day the halides keep the fans on unless the temp falls below 78. But your point is valid.

So should it be fallback on?

swearint
01/31/2010, 03:41 PM
I thought that was what a 12vdc batter did, so you would not lose program.
Not exactly. It is not a power issue; if the EB8 loses power, then all of the devices on that EB8 will be off. But if the EB8 still has power, and for some reason cannot communicate with the Apex, it would not be able to receive a command telling the outlet to shutoff as it should. So by using the Fallback command, the EB8 retains a default state that it will switch to when it loses communication. The Apex normally receives power from the aquabus, so any EB8 that has power would supply power to the bus. The 12VDC backup, therefore only comes into play should all the EB8s be without power.
The SET command is seperate from the FALLBACK command. Think of the Set statement as initializing the state of the outlet, then subsequent statements could change it. For instance, the Email outlet would initially be OFF, then if some out of range condition occurs, it would get set to ON and send a message. And, since the Email outlet is virtual, it would not need a Fallback setting.
The choice of FALLBACK ON or OFF depends on the type of equipment and what purpose it serves. For example, lights are not usually critical and would likely be better OFF than ON. A critical pump however, would be the opposite.

Todd

Fish Ace
01/31/2010, 03:49 PM
Not exactly. It is not a power issue; if the EB8 loses power, then all of the devices on that EB8 will be off. But if the EB8 still has power, and for some reason cannot communicate with the Apex, it would not be able to receive a command telling the outlet to shutoff as it should, for example a topoff pump. So by using the Fallback command, the EB8 retains a default state that it will switch to when it loses communication. The Apex normally receives power from the aquabus, so any EB8 that has power would supply power to the bus. The 12VDC backup, therefore only comes into play should all the EB8s be without power.

Todd

Todd I think I understand but wouldn't you say those would be rare circumstances and in any case the fallback should be left on?

aquamanic
01/31/2010, 03:50 PM
So should it be fallback on?

No, it's the SET OFF that's causing the potential problem. The Fallback like Todd says, is only if the EB8 doesn't have the controller telling it what to do. The fallback keeps you having a brick for an EB8. You can have outlets ON/OFF as you desire until you figure out what's wrong with the controller or communications to the controller.

At very least, you can use your EB8 as a dumb power strip if you had all the outlets Fallback ON. You want to be careful of course because some outlets you don't want on (like a dosing pump).

Fish Ace
01/31/2010, 03:55 PM
It's a little confusing but I think I might have the idea.

aquamanic
01/31/2010, 03:58 PM
read the document at http://reeftech.webs.com. I've got a section on the Fallback and Set statements.

swearint
01/31/2010, 04:14 PM
It's a little confusing but I think I might have the idea.
Just keep in mind that Fallback is not part of the logic, it is a configuration command.

You ever watch the movie Wargames?

"why don't we just unplug the damn thing?"

"the silos would interpret that as a destruction of NORAD and launch the missiles on their own."

:)

Todd