PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with Brightwell AminoOmega?

reice05
01/31/2010, 02:14 PM
Just curious if any of u tried this product before. Right now i use Vita-Chem and Kent Garlic, i really wanted to try Selcon but the guy at my LFS said Brightwells AminoOmega was the best out there??

reice05
01/31/2010, 06:14 PM
Dang no one?

tahoe61
01/31/2010, 07:16 PM
I use it once a week, I soak mysis and cyclops in it for about 10 min and then target feed my acans, acros, and other sps and lps, with turkey baster. Since I started using it I get better color to my corals and better polyp extension. Skimmer output will increase with use for about 12 hours after use. I have seen no increase in algae.

Cheryl

reice05
01/31/2010, 09:48 PM
Thanks Cheryl

stanlalee
01/31/2010, 11:08 PM
Just curious if any of u tried this product before. Right now i use Vita-Chem and Kent Garlic, i really wanted to try Selcon but the guy at my LFS said Brightwells AminoOmega was the best out there??

being in va I'm curious to know which local fish store? a few around here (hampton roads) have an afinity for brightwell products.

zoecon: marine lipids, ascorbic acid, tocopherol, thiamine, niacin, vitamin B12

coral accel: Hydrolyzed marine protein, marine lipids, ascorbic acid, tocopherol, vitamin A propionate, vitamin A palmitate, potassium iodide, sodium EDTA

brightwell amino omega: hydrolyzed marine protein, marine lipids, Ascorbic acid, Tocopherol, Thiamine hydrochloride, Niacin.

selcon: highly unsaturated OMEGA 3 fatty acids, Marine Lipids (200 mg/g), Stabilized Vitamin C (200 mg) and Vitamin B12 Cyanocobalamin (240 mcg)

the brightwell profile looks just like zoecon + marine proteins added which looks just like coral accel modified for food/fish supplementation instead of corals (hence more contrated, vitamin A's substituted for vitamin Bs and potassium iodide excluded..all changes consistant with modiied coral to fish/food supplementation)..In other words there is nothing revolutionary about the ingredients. I'm sure it works fine as does zoecon and selcon. I wouldn't lose any sleep picking one over the other. selcon (selco and superselco) have a long history of quality supplementing and use to breeding farms and supplying other manufacturers (warner marine) so I wouldn't be so fast to hesitate what I anticipated on getting based on one opinion (which I guess is why your asking :D ).

what fish do you have, what do you feed them and what exactly are you looking for the supplements to do for your stock?

reice05
02/01/2010, 10:54 AM
It was Animal Jungle. I just want somethig that's gonna five my fish and corals good vitamins so they will stay healthy and colorful

stanlalee
02/03/2010, 12:07 AM
yup thats one of them and here is a little post I made about them a week or two ago http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16461204&postcount=35

they have a guy there pushing brightwell like he has stock in it. I dont believe any of those are NEEDED with a quality diet but it reassures some to fortify feeding. I know zoecon and selcon are good and have used those in the past (anthias and tangs where I wasnt home enough time in a day to feed them as much as optimal). I'm sure brightwell is fine based on the ingredient content (basically the same as the rest) but I think I'd just go with the cheapest easiest available option here (or the old staples that have been around a while).

sowellj
02/03/2010, 08:20 AM
I'll chime in here. I would imagine that lipids and vitamin E would be immediately skimmed out, seeing as how hydrophobic they are.

CJO
02/03/2010, 02:32 PM
I know that Randy, in general, doesn't like the Brightwell products- too much advertising and too little science behind the product.

CJ

reice05
02/03/2010, 03:25 PM
So what are good supplements to add to your food? like i said earlier i already use Vita-Chem and Kent garlic. I was thinking Selcon see alot of good reviews about that.

CJO
02/04/2010, 08:26 AM
I've heard good things about Selcon too. Amino acids are good, but there is a much cheaper version of it that I had seen around here. I'll get you the link once I run across it again.

CJ

stanlalee
02/04/2010, 09:39 AM
I'll chime in here. I would imagine that lipids and vitamin E would be immediately skimmed out, seeing as how hydrophobic they are.

I dont think thats an issue as a food soak under the premise its soaked in and the fish (or coral) consume it immediately. just based on most skimmer gph vs tank size alone there's typically at least 10 minutes before its possible for it all to even reach the skimmer (of course that shortens considerably if you have a downdraft, aquaC EV, beckett/venturi that use large pumps that dont directly draw air).

CJO
02/04/2010, 09:49 AM
Aspartic acid, that was it... just can't find the link. It was around $6 a jar.

Also, here's a pretty good article on supplementing, if you haven't already seen it:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php#15

CJ