PDA

View Full Version : Fixing scratches in plastic trim of a tank...

Kaos
01/31/2010, 05:57 PM
A week or two ago I picked up a used AGA 125. The tank is in pretty good shape but the previous owner had it sitting on end in their garage. I guess it was drug around some because it has numerous scratches in the plastic trim on that end. I prefer an open top tank and would like to be able to set this one up that way. But the scratches look horrible. Is there any way to blend out the scratches? I don't want to sand the trim and make it thinner/weaker. I would like it if someone has a method of filling the imperfections and then sanding it smooth. Has anyone tried something like this? If so post details as to what you used to fill and what grit sand paper used to fair it out. TIA.

As a side note:
The tank has been filled w/ water since the 1st day I brought it home (leak check). The scratches show no signs of turning into cracks.

wab
01/31/2010, 08:45 PM
You can try the tooth paste type wood putty( comes in a squeezable tube) and reg 120 or fine grit sand paper after its dry and paint to match. Apply with a putty knife

hllywd
01/31/2010, 11:11 PM
Maybe some body filler glaze from the auto parts store? Still going to need some light sanding and paint... not sure wood putty will stick, some of it never really gets hard too.

Tim