PDA

View Full Version : need help?

flatsout1171
01/31/2010, 06:51 PM
i had a blue velvet damsel to start the cycle of my tank. are they reef safe?:hammer:

phoenixstar89
02/01/2010, 10:18 AM
yes they're reef safe but mean as hell

tkeracer619
02/01/2010, 10:51 AM
I am 200lbs using a 4ft pole to work on the bottom of a 5ft tank and the damsels still attack the pole! If damsels were the size of great whites we would be in serious trouble.

Reef safe.

phurst
02/01/2010, 11:21 AM
Reef safe, but come on man, don't use live animals to cycle your tank, even damsels.

flatsout1171
02/01/2010, 04:14 PM
well then that is the lfs fault not mine..thats what they told me...as u can tell i am new at this. i go by what they and reef central tell me..right?

tahoe61
02/01/2010, 05:02 PM
Everybody makes the mistake of listening to the LFS when they first start. You do not have a computer with you, when you go to he LFS so you just can't check on-line, the validity of the advice.

1. Never take the advice of a LFS without checking it out first, like the RC forum. LFS will tell you anything to get you to buy anything and everything. They want your money, it business right.
2. It you can catch damsel, and take it back to the LFS. While pretty they are mean, will kill nice new fish and are hard to catch. Plus you do not need them to cycle a tank.
3. There is a thread on this forum regarding what fish to buy, so you can research the fish before making your purchase.
4. When posting always include age of tank, size and parameters and lighting with filtration, just put it on your signiture and then it will always be there. Having this information will help others help you. Include a pic if possible.
5. If you are serious about this hobby it is all about patience and research, other wise problems can ruin the fun and excitment of the hobby. Everyone does it, but try not to impluse buy.

Welcome to Saltwater, if you have even the simplist question do the search function on the forum and if you can not find the info there just post away.
You can PM people too if you prefer, but sharing your experiences allows others to learn too.

Cheryl