PDA

View Full Version : trouble with clowns

aquadonkey
01/31/2010, 09:15 PM
Hello RC. I put a pair of ocellaris clowns into my tank on Wed, and now I am having a few problems.

They are quite small (about an inch long - exactly the same size) tank-bred ORA clowns.

Today I noticed some white spots on one of them - by this evening, the spots are worse. I'm assuming this is ich. I didn't quarantine the clowns since they are tank bred. From what I've read, they are very hardy and don't get sick - maybe they are more vulnerable because they are small.

The second problem is that one of them is bullying the other. Since this is my first tank, and these are my first fish (after the ywg I put in a week before them), I don't know whether this is just a case of one fish establishing dominance, or if I have a problem.

I called my LFS and they mentioned a new parasite treatment that is reef-safe. I forget what it's called. So I will get that and start using it.

It seems like everything is going wrong with my tank at once (see thread about my dino out-break). It's overwhelming being a newbie!

Any help is appreciated!

Sisterlimonpot
01/31/2010, 09:39 PM
Is it possible to get a picture? with your tank being so new and if it is in fact ich, I would say get all your fish out and treat for ich. I don't know what this new parasite treatment that the LFS told you about but make sure you research it before hand. I don't particularly believe in the "reef safe" treatment, it's just snake oil if you ask me.

jbax
01/31/2010, 09:43 PM
i can't help with the sick fish issue. but, if the one clownfish is being a bully it's normal. they are figuring who is gonna be the female or male. the dominate one will be the female.

aquadonkey
01/31/2010, 09:52 PM
i can't help with the sick fish issue. but, if the one clownfish is being a bully it's normal. they are figuring who is gonna be the female or male. the dominate one will be the female.

Thanks - this makes me feel better. Except I will have to reverse their names now.....

Is it possible to get a picture? with your tank being so new and if it is in fact ich, I would say get all your fish out and treat for ich. I don't know what this new parasite treatment that the LFS told you about but make sure you research it before hand. I don't particularly believe in the "reef safe" treatment, it's just snake oil if you ask me.

I tried to get a picture. Those little guys are just too fast for me. I really trust the guy at my LFS - he's helped me out before - I'll still look into this treatment first though.

I'm actually thinking about doing a mini breakdown of my tank - taking the fish and corals out while I declare war on my dino outbreak, so I don't think I have to worry about reef-safe anymore.

Anyone have any advice about taking everything out? I have a 10g tank for QT - with a HOB bio-wheel filter (with possible carbon). The wheel is sitting in my sump right now to try to collect bacteria. Hopefully this will work while I figure out how to get more denitrifying bacteria. Will the corals (zoas, gsp, xenia and fungia) be fine in a 5g bucket with a nano powerhead and I pc light? I have about 2 pounds of uninfected LR in my sump that I can put in the bucket with the corals....

Chiefsurfer
02/01/2010, 05:16 AM
Just so you know, if you move rock from infected water(DT or Sump) to the QT, you not have a QT with ich. Anything that you are going to put back into the DT, MUST be fallow(fishless) for 8 weeks, so it does not carry the ich back with it.

I would doubt that anything reef-safe will really get the job done with ich.