PDA

View Full Version : Guys, help me with MH bulb recommendations.

Hurdicuss
02/01/2010, 12:54 AM
Long time t5 user here in transition to metal halide for the new upcoming system. Purchased a new house, therefore new house = new tank :D I am planning for a ~100g cube (34x34x20, 32x32x24, or similar) with a single halide and possible t5 supplements. I have never owned MH lighting myself and am not a total newbie in its realm, but I wanted to open the floor for bulb recommendations. Stocking plan is looking like SPS dominant with some LPS; shooting for vibrant color and excellent growth. Today I picked up a 250w Coral Vue (dimmable) ballast and a Lumen Bright SE reflector from my local reef board. Next addition is the bulb and this is where I had a few questions...

1) What 250w bulb do you recommend?

2) Depending on the color output of your recommendation, do you think I should use t5 actinic supplment?

3) Do you suggest t5 daylight and actinic supplement and run the halide for maximum of 4-6 hours a day?

4) Perhaps a little late since I have already acquired the ballast, but do you think 250w will be sufficient for optimal growth on a cube with the above dimensions, or should I consider stepping up to a 400w?

A couple recommendations from my local reefers has been Phoenix 14k, Reeflux 20k, Radium 20k and Ushio 10k.

Thanks for your time and input. :thumbsup:

Spssteven
02/01/2010, 12:57 AM
I'd go with a radium.
That said my new tank is 24x24x32 om going with 2 250 watt radiums with lumenarc reflectors.
Maybe 2 for you or 1 400 would be the beter way to go.

minhvu
02/01/2010, 01:17 AM
I've been a T5 nut also but on my new cube project, I decided to change things up. I went with pretty much the same light as your with a 250w radium. Great colors plus u just cant beat the shimmer effect

elijaher
02/01/2010, 01:32 AM
It can end up what you like by your eyes. Phoenix 14k be a nice starte

Psionicdragon
02/01/2010, 03:18 AM
1) What 250w bulb do you recommend?

Reeflux 12k (phoenix 14k bulb look)

2) Depending on the color output of your recommendation, do you think I should use t5 actinic supplment?

Nope, the 12k provides a good amount to not require additional supplements.

3) Do you suggest t5 daylight and actinic supplement and run the halide for maximum of 4-6 hours a day?

I usually just run the halides for 4-8 hours. It varies depending on how late i stay up to gauk at my corals and anthiases.

4) Perhaps a little late since I have already acquired the ballast, but do you think 250w will be sufficient for optimal growth on a cube with the above dimensions, or should I consider stepping up to a 400w?

Lumen bright will give shaded areas, which isn't a really bad thing. It allows you to put less high-light loving corals in those areas. The Lumenbright is very focus somewhat like a spot light. You may need two. If you gotten a Lumenarc III (the big one), then I would say it is perfect for the tank.

I never want to use 400w just because its overkill and hella expensive on my wallet. (I pay around 500 a month in utilities). 250 is fine and if one light isn't enough, can add another 250. I am currently using 2 175 on my tank. Good results so far.

Hurdicuss
02/02/2010, 01:50 PM
I have a Reeflux 12k coming to me, went with that bulb for now. Looked into getting a Phoenix 14k but they were sold out at a couple places. Let's see
how the Reeflux does for me. Thanks for the responses.

surfjeepzx
02/02/2010, 02:32 PM
For a 20 -24" deep tank the 250 will be fine. If you already have the T-5 system of ballasts and lights then use them to supplement and minimize costs. Also you're more familiar with the t-5 bulb so I would say stay with that set up and use it to enhance the MH's. I used to run 250w 10k ushios with the same actinic supplements I'm using now with 400 20k's. I grew sps in the sand with the 10k's and everything grew very fast. Now with the 400 20k's I get deeper color's but very slow growth as compared to the previos bulbs.

As far as bulb choice that's your decision. 10k's will require more blue supplement and 20k's will require less.... or you think?

My tank is 31" deep, MH's are 16" above the water. I run 2 400 20k radiums and 4 actinic vho's. Even with the blueness of the 20k's I still like that additional little pop the actinincs give.

So the point is,... you have to decide what's pleasing to your eye.

SMITTY27030
02/05/2010, 06:57 PM
big fan of xm 14k..with actinic suppliments

luther1200
02/05/2010, 08:48 PM
I would definitely get either a Radium or Pheonix if it was me. I personally would probably run a few T5's if it was me also. Even though those are good stand alone bulbs, I still like the look of a little actinic lighting.