PDA

View Full Version : How to catch a Wrasse

chilihedkc
02/01/2010, 09:09 AM
I have a Christmas Wrasse that is bullying some of the other inhabitants. How do you go about catching the SOB in a fully stocked reef? The bastard is quick and knows I'm out to get him.

tkeracer619
02/01/2010, 10:53 AM
A fish trap is going to be your best bet.

If not you can go fishing for it. If it is agressive it will probably be one of the first to bite.

Holyreefer
02/01/2010, 12:38 PM
what i do is take egg crate and cut the tank into 3 sections. That way im not working with a entire 72inchs of tank. But maybe more like 24 inches. And whichever section hes in just put eggcrate in the middle and on both sides of the tank on far ends and you should have your fish within 10 mins

HOB
02/01/2010, 01:01 PM
If I need to get a fish out, I hunt him down at night while it's dark.
With a flashlight and a poking stick, I flush him out of it's hole and then net him. It's almost like they're blind.

jason2459
02/01/2010, 01:04 PM
To catch a wrasse?

Just wait around the tank with a catchers mit.

Holyreefer
02/01/2010, 01:10 PM
If I need to get a fish out, I hunt him down at night while it's dark.
With a flashlight and a poking stick, I flush him out of it's hole and then net him. It's almost like they're blind.

i would image this would be pretty hard with a wrasse they are so quick

lewk
02/01/2010, 02:13 PM
I had to remove a six line that was picking off shrimp. I fed some mysis, waited for him to go grab some from the surface, then quickly went after him with a net. I basically had the net hovering right over the food. Got him on the second swipe.

killersnake0
02/01/2010, 02:17 PM
how big is he? you could always try a small hook.

Octoshark
02/01/2010, 02:25 PM
If possible, lowering your water level will decrease the amount of area he has to swim around and therefore increase your chances of trapping him in a corner, etc

ibnozn
02/01/2010, 02:41 PM
Small Kritter Keeper cage with the top on. Open the clear door and attach some fishing line to it that's been threaded through the lid so you can pull the door shut when the fish swims in. Turn the cage on end so the door opens downward, add mysis, lower it in and wait.

Octoshark
02/01/2010, 02:48 PM
Also, depending upon the fish, the more you try to catch it the harder it may get. I was trying to catch a fish that was picking on other fish and it got to the point where he would run and hide when he saw me enter the room! I tried so many different methods of catching him and he got so paranoid that it become impossible to get him because he would just hide in an area where I couldn't get to him whenever I came up to the tank or put anything in the tank. He was gone before the net even hit the water...

npsossi@msn.com
02/01/2010, 02:53 PM
Take a plastic fish bag and put 6 to 8 holes around the edge. Weave fishing line. air line through holes. Put food in bag and set it in tank so the power head holds it open. When fish swims in to eat food you spring the trap. It has worked for me. Good luck.

roblack
02/01/2010, 03:58 PM
Get you a 2 liter soda bottle and invert the top as shown. Be sure to cut a door (3 sides of a rectangle only). Throw some krill in there, you'll get your wrasse, quick I bet.
http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/qq278/Chigrove/WrasseTrap.jpg

psuedopimp
02/01/2010, 04:07 PM
i used a spot light about 4 in the morning to catch a damsel. deer in the headlights. he just sat there while i netted him.

little nellie
02/01/2010, 04:20 PM
I had a problem will a bully "once"... not anymore..

I try fish trap.. the clear plastic kind.. everyone but the bully goes in there.

I try fish hook, everyone but the bully want to bite the hook.

I try the midnight lights on and it will not come out.

I hate to do this... but.. I try spearing the bully but it hides.

I end up making a net, two feet long and almost extend to the bottom of the tank. The net opening is about 1 feet by 1.5 feet and weight it down with frag plugs and magnets on the glass to keep it open. Feeding only take place inside the net. End up leaving it in there for a week before bully will enter. I let it go for one more day before getting ready to close the net by lifting the opening up. Since it is free floating the net does move around a bit and it is not a straight swim out for the fish and it was "trapped" along with other fish. The net is big so no harm to other fish that was inside when the net got closed. I have to turn off the vortec to keep the food inside the net.

The netting material was purchased at the local fabric store for 30 cents a yard. Spend 60 cents to make this net.

Now the bully is gone, all the fish are swimming all over the tank.

s

P.S. the bully... was given away to someone.

chilihedkc
02/02/2010, 11:11 AM
I got him...used a clear plastic sippy cup with no lid. Anchored it down with some rock, and put some food in the bottom. Him being the most aggressive fish, he was the first in. Once he went in I was ready and just placed a net over the open end of the cup. I've been chasing this guy around for two days, but once I got the technique it was easy. Took 10 minutes.

csmfish
02/02/2010, 11:37 AM
Glad you got him. I dont mind bully fish for the most part but when they stop the tank inhabitants from moving around, thats when I get upset.