PDA

View Full Version : Why do you need baffles in a sump?

quonnie
02/01/2010, 12:03 PM
I am running a 55 gallon tank as my sump/refuge off a 75 gallon reef tank. I keep reading about baffles and don't see the need for it in my case. I have no micro bubbles from the skimmer getting back to the tank. So what do the baffles do for me?

atwinparadox2
02/01/2010, 12:12 PM
Baffles control micro bubbles and the level of the water in the sump, and also add sections to your sump for a fuge or anything else. I like to use baffles to control the water flow in my sump as well, then i know where it is going first, second, third and so on. Hope this helps.

Shane Hoffman
02/01/2010, 12:13 PM
They help eliminate microbubbles from the return splashing and skimmer, they give you the bility to contain the sand and rock rubble if you have a fuge, they limit the change in water height to only the return section which means your skimmer is always sitting in the same amount of water. This is a big deal with some skimmers others not so much. If non of thos 3 things is an issue you dont HAVE to have them.

pwoller
02/01/2010, 12:23 PM
Look at Sunny's tank, he doesn't use baffles. I use them to control the water level in my skimmer area, but thats really it.

Skeptic_07
02/01/2010, 01:25 PM
You don't really need baffles. They help control bubbles, water levels, divide compartments (like if you want a fuge in your sump). I don't currently use baffles. I just set my skimmer far enough away from the return pump so that the bubbles aren't being sucked into the pump and my fuge is in a separate tank.

hebygb
02/01/2010, 01:47 PM
+ all of the above

WharfRat
02/01/2010, 07:53 PM
Baffles give you something to build when you make your sump. If we didn't add baffles to the sump much of this DIY forum would be non existent.