PDA

View Full Version : new style density probes (any good?)

coffeenut
02/01/2010, 01:18 PM
What are these used for, and are they any good?

dbond
02/01/2010, 04:08 PM
I have a couple of the newer salinity/density probes and they have worked very well for me,, I had one that I had to recalibrate after 7 months the other have not had to touch yet running about the same length of time ( two different tanks) not sure how long they normally last but hoping to get a couple of years out of them, definitely much better than the older style density probe which required constant cleaning and recalibration.

nemo's janitor
02/01/2010, 10:34 PM
I have a couple of the newer salinity/density probes and they have worked very well for me,, I had one that I had to recalibrate after 7 months the other have not had to touch yet running about the same length of time ( two different tanks) not sure how long they normally last but hoping to get a couple of years out of them, definitely much better than the older style density probe which required constant cleaning and recalibration.

Yup very much improved

RobbyG
02/02/2010, 09:03 PM
The Best probe of them all!
I have had one running from they where in Beta and it's been going strong for 14 months now. I have calibrated it twice in that period and on both ocasions I am not even sure it needed calibration, I think just wiping it off put it back into calibration (IMO).
I think the probes work by a Magnetic field being changed by the water passing inside the loop, much like the Elos Probes, so there really is nothing coming in direct contact with the water except for the plastic case.
Overall, Buy it! You won't regret it.

RobbyG
02/04/2010, 07:35 PM
BTW you also need the Interface module for the probe, the old one will not work with it.

triggerfish2
02/04/2010, 07:45 PM
sorry to ask a noob question, Aquatronica has a new Salinity probe? thanks

RobbyG
02/10/2010, 05:59 PM
Yes its been out for about a year. Very Very good probe.
On there website they still show a photo of the old probe, but the only probe they sell now is the new one.

Rogger Castells
02/12/2010, 10:48 PM
sorry for hijacking this thread but I use to have the old style probe until it failed and I took it out, however my controller unit still listed as a peripheral and it evens let me know that is disconnected when there is a reset of the unit, how do I get rid of this, were can I eliminate this, I have tried everything but no can do? TIA

coffeenut
02/13/2010, 06:49 AM
i think you can go into the controller it self (not on PC) and go to the device and select "DISCONNECT" then log into the controller on the PC and save the updated (with out the den probe) profile.

Rogger Castells
02/13/2010, 01:14 PM
i'll try that, thank you coffenut