PDA

View Full Version : Reefs in Southern California

240z
02/01/2010, 09:23 PM
Are they any reefs in Southern California? or Around Baja California?

ackee
02/02/2010, 02:33 PM
Reefs, yes, in the broad meaning of the word. Coral reefs, I don't think so.

WarmWaterWuss
02/02/2010, 05:08 PM
Cabo Pulmo close to the tip of the Baja has coral reef, mostly hard coral. It has lots, and lots of fish, sea lions, eels, puffers, rays. Good diving for pelagics and fish life, sometimes has good visibility.

ackee
02/02/2010, 05:43 PM
Does Cabo Pulmo have an actual coral reef, or various corals and coral heads attached to igneous rock? If there is an actual coral reef, living corals atop a coraline limestone base that has built up over the millenia, I'd love to see it.

WarmWaterWuss
02/06/2010, 02:50 PM
Does Cabo Pulmo have an actual coral reef, or various corals and coral heads attached to igneous rock? If there is an actual coral reef, living corals atop a coraline limestone base that has built up over the millenia, I'd love to see it.

I am new to this coral stuff, I love fish and recognize a lot of them but not so much on the coral. That is one of the reasons I am spending time on this board. Here is a quote from google search "The abundant coral growth on the rocky reefs provides shelter and food for countless colorful reef fishes, many of which are found nowhere else in the world. The reef is the only hard coral reef found in the Sea of Cortez formed by multi-fingers and lies in 18 meters of water. It is one of only three living reefs in North America." It was wonderful to dive with huge fish, lots of them and many different species.

Octoshark
02/06/2010, 03:20 PM
I'm not sure about coral reefs unless you go further down into Mexico, but there are definitely some nice dive spots in So Cal.

sunfishh
02/12/2010, 11:29 PM
Everyone is right there are no coral reefs here in socal. However we do have kelp forest and they are great to dive. If you are coming to the LA or OC area I recommend you take the boat over to the dive park on catalina island. It is right in the city of avalon and is a fantastic dive.