PDA

View Full Version : water leak detection?

jrod11
02/02/2010, 12:37 PM
I am currently comparing the Apex and the RKE elite.

I was wondering if there are any features that allow me to set up some sort of leak detection that would notify me via alerts.

I always stress out about my tank possibly leaking with all my plumbing and was wondering if there is any way to hook up some sort of monitoring for this through the controlller?

aquamanic
02/02/2010, 12:58 PM
Through the breakout box you can connect a water sensor like the Waterbug WB200. You can then activate any alarm or alert you want via the Apex. there are some threads on this topic.

ENS
02/02/2010, 08:35 PM
Like Aquamanic wrote, you need to use the breakout box to conenct a low voltage sensor. I just bought a couple sensors from this site ... http://www.specialtyalarms.com/site/1313932/page/470322
They have both the water bug, that requires a command module in addition to the sensors - but is popular, or they also have a stand alone $19 water sensor -- which is what I bought (item 14). Plan to hook it up next weekend to test. Will post how it works. If works well, will get several more for different spots.

aquamanic
02/02/2010, 09:28 PM
I'd like to know how this works. Says in the specs that it can "Detects low water condition in fish tanks". Wonder if they mean because it all drained out on the floor!

ENS
02/02/2010, 09:38 PM
I'd like to know how this works. Says in the specs that it can "Detects low water condition in fish tanks". Wonder if they mean because it all drained out on the floor!

I think it is b/c the sensor has the option of normally open or normally closed, versus some that are only normally open. If set at normally closed and positioned in water (not that I'd have it in my tank, and would use a float switch for the purpose in my sump), an alarm would trigger if the water level went below the sensor. Dont think anyone would really prefer this over a float switch. The benefit/use is normally open and positioned with sensors on a low spot of a cabinet floor, etc, to trigger when a small puddle starts to form.

tamu
02/02/2010, 10:08 PM
I use a similar sensor I got from smarthomeusa. It required a little more wiring than I thought. I used a 12V power supply and relay along with this sensor. It works perfectly as my leak detector in my base.

aquamanic
02/03/2010, 07:49 AM
Plan to hook it up next weekend to test. Will post how it works

Please do report back on how this turns out. Take pictures if you think of it.

Rennsport
02/03/2010, 10:23 AM
I wonder if one would buy the sensor itself and be able to wire it into a break-out box ultimately with the ability to shut down the return pump in the event of water on the floor?

http://www.smarthome.com/7161/WaterBug-Extra-Water-Sensor-W-S-U/p.aspx

tamu
02/03/2010, 10:34 AM
These things need an external power source to operate. The breakout box is not for powering them.

ENS
02/03/2010, 02:13 PM
I wonder if one would buy the sensor itself and be able to wire it into a break-out box ultimately with the ability to shut down the return pump in the event of water on the floor?

http://www.smarthome.com/7161/WaterBug-Extra-Water-Sensor-W-S-U/p.aspx

Yes, if your return pump is controlled by your Apex, than you can create an alarm command that not only emails or notifies you the leak sensor was triggered, but at the same time can also shut off the return pump.

aquamanic
02/03/2010, 03:03 PM
To be clear ENS - you're talking about the leak detector (#14) not the water bug sensor? I thought the WB sensor REQUIRED the WB controller in order to work. Both have been referenced in this thread and I'm not clear now which one is thought to be able to connect directly to a BB without any other controller.

ENS
02/03/2010, 03:07 PM
To be clear ENS - you're talking about the leak detector (#14) not the water bug sensor? I thought the WB sensor REQUIRED the WB controller in order to work. Both have been referenced in this thread and I'm not clear now which one is thought to be able to connect directly to a BB without any other controller.

Correct ... both are being discussed without clear reference. I also understand that the waterbug sensor does not work without also purchasing and using the WB controller. I bought the #14 leak sensor for $20, which appears that it works stand-alone connected to the breakout box ... but need to hook it up this weekend and test and see if it works without a lowvolt power supply. It seems it should, just like the closing of a circuit with a float switch, but need to confirm - and will post after.

tamu
02/03/2010, 03:15 PM
Attached is a diagram you might need.

I first attempted to connect my two wire leak sensor straight to a competitors controller switch input. I dropped the sensor in water and watched the input close like it should, but it would not hold that condition. There was not enough power to hold it closed. (most of these switch inputs are not supposed to be supplying power) I wired it up like the diagram and since moved to the Apex and I'm still using this setup. I think the sensor was around $12.00

ENS
02/03/2010, 03:36 PM
Thanks Tamu. Hopefully what I'm going to test will work without any power connection. But if not, your info will be useful. Love this board ... so much great shared info.

Gordonious
09/22/2010, 08:47 PM
ENS 7 months later, what you end up doing? What worked?