PDA

View Full Version : Maxima opening, but not extending its mantle?

iLLwiLL
02/02/2010, 06:36 PM
I noticed yesterday that my maxima has an issue. It still opens up and reacts to shadows, but has no mantle extension. any thoughts on what could be wrong? All I have in the tank right now is a 6-line wrasse, and a pair of clowns. For inverts I have a coral banded, cleaner and peppermint shrimp, and a bunch of hermits and snails.

I did notice the night before my maxima stopped extending its mantle it threw a hermit crab off it self . . . could they be the ones messing with it? I have read up of freshwater dips, but really dont want to go that route until I am 100% sure it is necessary.

~Will.

tahoe61
02/02/2010, 06:46 PM
There are a few new threads regarding FWD. I would read them since they are relatively new. If done correctly, which is easy, there is very little stress to the clam.

Without a pic, it is hard to tell whats going on with your maxima.

I have no doubt others will offer alternatives.

I would only FWD for PM and flatworms, but I would have no problem or concerns doing so.

Good Luck.

iLLwiLL
02/02/2010, 06:49 PM
Like I said, I have read up on the freshwater dip already . . . I will try to get a pic of the clam before the lights go out. The tank has flatworms, and I am waiting a week or 2 to treat until I am ready to switch over to my new tank. Would flatworms cause a clam to not extend its mantle?

~Will.

tahoe61
02/02/2010, 07:29 PM
Like I said, I have read up on the freshwater dip already . . . I will try to get a pic of the clam before the lights go out. The tank has flatworms, and I am waiting a week or 2 to treat until I am ready to switch over to my new tank. Would flatworms cause a clam to not extend its mantle?

~Will.

Your choices are
1. It is being irratated by a near by coral or aiptasia.
2. It has something inside its mantel ie: sponge, too many flatworms or sand,
3. Pyramid snails have finally caused harm if they are present.
4. Being nipped by fish or other inverts.
5. Decline in water quaility.
6. Insufficient lighting.
7. PM disease.
8. Or the rare viral or bacterial infection.

Barry N.
02/02/2010, 07:44 PM
I have read up of freshwater dips, but really dont want to go that route until I am 100% sure it is necessary.

FWD is NOT recommended for a cure all, too stressful.

If mantle is not fully extending, it could be that it is getting too much water movement or possible something nipping at it.

tahoe61
02/02/2010, 07:53 PM
FWD is NOT recommended for a cure all, too stressful.

If mantle is not fully extending, it could be that it is getting too much water movement or possible something nipping at it.

Have you read any of the recent articles on the subject? Have you ever done it? Do a search on the subject and you will find that clams indeed tolerate FWD fine if you do a little research and match the ro/di water to the same ph and temp as the tank water. I merely offered assistance, nothing is set in stone in this hobby and I would not offer advice that I have not done myself.
FWD are for PM disease and it works well, if his clam indeed has that, just google it.:eek2:

Barry N.
02/02/2010, 07:58 PM
Have you read any of the recent articles on the subject? Have you ever done it?

LOL, Yes I think I have. :reading:

I just see SO many post regarding FWD when in some cases it is NOT needed.

iLLwiLL
02/02/2010, 08:49 PM
I had a green nepthea kinda close to it, and another leather like 6" away, so I figured it might be a chemical warfare kinda thing. I moved the leather away from the clam, and did a flat worm exit dip (with tank water) on the clam and its rock. I also grabbed every hermit crab I could find and tossed them in the sump, just to be on the safe side. I'll give it a few more days, then start considering a freshwater dip if all else fails.

Is there anything else I should be looking for or any other things I should be doing?

~Will.

tahoe61
02/02/2010, 08:57 PM
I had a green nepthea kinda close to it, and another leather like 6" away, so I figured it might be a chemical warfare kinda thing. I moved the leather away from the clam, and did a flat worm exit dip (with tank water) on the clam and its rock. I also grabbed every hermit crab I could find and tossed them in the sump, just to be on the safe side. I'll give it a few more days, then start considering a freshwater dip if all else fails.

Is there anything else I should be looking for or any other things I should be doing?

~Will.

As Barry N suggested consider too much flow. I myself have never had problems with soft corals hurting my clams, but again JMO. Did you look for pyramid snail?

Azurel
02/02/2010, 09:04 PM
If t is chemical then add some GAC to help remove it.....I have had y hermits on my clams they can irratate them for sure but I wouldn't thnk unless not getting enough food would they go after your clam.

What are your parameters? What did the test results say? Start there first, and go from there.

Hey Tahoe google the name Barry Neigut.......Then ask him again if he has read any of the report or articles.....LOL

tahoe61
02/02/2010, 09:17 PM
If t is chemical then add some GAC to help remove it.....I have had y hermits on my clams they can irratate them for sure but I wouldn't thnk unless not getting enough food would they go after your clam.

What are your parameters? What did the test results say? Start there first, and go from there.

Hey Tahoe google the name Barry Neigut.......Then ask him again if he has read any of the report or articles.....LOL
Already knew who he was, if I only used what I learned in nursing school sixteen year ago, would you not want to be my patient. He may have a
GREAT deal to do with clams, but alot of the experts in the field say FWD is best treatment for PMD if it is indeed PMD, and I also know who developed the treatment. So I will still consider alternatives and provide assistance regardless of who post. Your attempt to appear clever and bashing in a passive aggressive manner is not lost on me, but thank you.

Azurel
02/02/2010, 09:31 PM
LOL....Just messing with you no need to get bent out of shape.

Here is some good reading though if your not mad at me still...?

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_6/volume_6_4/clams.html

Article just came out about PM with more in the future being released.