PDA

View Full Version : Tall Tank and PH level

ScubaPrawn
02/02/2010, 09:20 PM
Hey I just checked my PH level and it's 7.8. This is the first time I've had a chance to test my own parameters, but I believe my PH has been on the low side (LFS tested my water for me maybe 4 days before and commented on my PH level).

Anyways. I have a tall tank (47 gallon column) and I think the surface area at the top of the tank is the main reason for the PH level.

Any thoughts on how to keep the PH level high for a tall tank?

I have Seachem Reef Buffer which a friend lent me. But reading the directions it seems like this would be masking the problem not fixing it. Or am I wrong on this?

bertoni
02/02/2010, 09:55 PM
If the tank has a skimmer, that's probably enough to overcome the height problem.

The Reef Buffer is an alkalinity supplement, and should only be added when an alkalinity kit shows the need. It will raise the pH temporarily by consuming some carbon dioxide, but keeping the pH up generally would require a severe overdosing of alkalinity.

7.8 isn't bad enough that I would worry, anyway, especially if that's a morning reading.

ScubaPrawn
02/02/2010, 09:59 PM
Actually I just took it tonight after my lights had been on.

But I started running Aquaclear 110 HOB yesterday and it's causing a lot of disruption on the surface so I hope that's going to help.

ScubaPrawn
02/02/2010, 10:04 PM
From my understanding, 7.8 is a minimum of what you want right? When I start adding fish the PH should be going down.....all the parameters seem to show the cycle is done, but for some reason this PH is bothering me. Am I wrong to worry?

bertoni
02/02/2010, 11:17 PM
Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. I wouldn't want the pH to go any lower, though. Adding fish might not affect the pH very much, if aeration is adequate. The usual cause of low pH is a high indoor carbon dioxide level.

jimsplace
02/03/2010, 04:19 AM
+1 with bertoni's comments. Keep an eye on it, if it goes lower you might want to run a line from your skimmer to the outside to get some fresh air or look at dosing some kalk. I don't know where your located, but with the house closed up, the C02 will cause the PH to drop. Heed bertoni's comment about the buffer, don't try to use it to raise your PH.

ScubaPrawn
02/03/2010, 06:47 AM
Ok thanks for the insight guys, I really appreciate it!

rale2001
02/03/2010, 01:36 PM
Does ur tank have a cover or splash guard I was stuck with the same issue and how I fixed was I pointed my powerhead to brea the surface I used the seachem buffer for about a month and also I had a splash guard on the top which I removed to have open airflow and this fixed my my ph from 7.8 to 8.3 I still mix a litte seachem with my water changes every 3 weeks but I do weekly water changes of 10 percent.