PDA

View Full Version : RTN=Rapid Tissue Necrosis

yankee26th
02/03/2010, 06:33 AM
Hello and thank you to all members that can assist.

I have mainly an SPS tank. Of which, a couple of sps acros that just started the RTN process. Is their any way to stop it and what might be the cause.

Please let me know

Thank you.

beeker
02/03/2010, 02:44 PM
Frag what you can if the pieces are still alive if it has been RTNing over 2-3 days

I have had corals stop RTNing as well but most times you have to frag the coral to save it, though putting superglue gel over the affected area might help

Make sure it isn't pest related and Check your parameters, make sure Calc Alk and Mag are all within the ranges they need to be in, make sure your salinity is where it should be as well

bigreefer1978
02/03/2010, 03:38 PM
my experience with rtn is even though you frag it the frags die in time

yankee26th
02/03/2010, 04:00 PM
Frag what you can if the pieces are still alive if it has been RTNing over 2-3 days

I have had corals stop RTNing as well but most times you have to frag the coral to save it, though putting superglue gel over the affected area might help

Make sure it isn't pest related and Check your parameters, make sure Calc Alk and Mag are all within the ranges they need to be in, make sure your salinity is where it should be as well

Thank you for your input

All my water parameters are fine with the exception of my calcium. Apparently with my current increase in corals, I neglected to increase my calcium dosage and consequently my calcium dropped from 460 to 380. Not good.

Something else I noticed was I had to change the resin in my RO unit and the PhosGuard was exhausted in my media reactor. Also not good.

Hopefully with fragging and the fact that I have address the issues of the resin and Phosguard maybe now it will stop.

Thanks

yankee26th
02/03/2010, 04:24 PM
my experience with rtn is even though you frag it the frags die in time

We are going to try. I once recieved a coral that was DOA and I decided to frag it. I got lucky, the frag did survive in this case.