PDA

View Full Version : RO setup help

heyyitsjustin
02/03/2010, 12:24 PM
So I got an AquaFX Stingray RO I want to set up. I've read that RO units work best with warm water. Problem is- it's gotta go in my basement which doesn't have a sink...

Is it possible to use my washer hook-up? BUT there's only hot and cold water. Is there some kind of adapter I could control to set to a descent temp (around that 77dg)? This is quite frustrating. Any other ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

RBU1
02/03/2010, 12:25 PM
Interesting never heard about the temp thing. I was always told to hook it to the cold water line.

chubby hugs
02/03/2010, 12:33 PM
Yes, RO works better with warmer water, but do not use heated water. Your water heater will add a lot of junk to the water that you do not want (heavy metals and particulate) that will put more strain on your RO and kill your filters much faster. Also increased likelihood for higher TDS coming out at the end.
You want to tap into your cold line and the temp it comes in at will fluctuate with the seasons. I have seen people (on here somewhere) that run the line in hose into a 5Gal bucket, loop it around a few times, then fill the bucket with water and put a heater in the bucket. That way the water gets warmed without any additional garbage getting into it. Pretty neat idea, but a bit unnecessary I would think.

RBU1
02/03/2010, 12:35 PM
THat is ridiculous.....I have been running my RO/DI unit in my basement hooked to my cold water line for 5 years with not a single issue. Just hook it to the cold line.

heyyitsjustin
02/03/2010, 12:44 PM
OK cuz the washing machine hookup is 2 separate pipes hot/cold. My water heater has a spigot which releases cool water but you're saying that's bad to use?

chubby hugs
02/03/2010, 12:46 PM
I am guessing the additional filter speed you would get is negligible. Hooking to a hot line is just asking for trouble. Stick with the cold water and if you are worried about speed, get a unit that has a higher output.

RBU1
02/03/2010, 12:48 PM
Just tap into a cold water line with a saddle valve. My RO unit came with a saddle valve the pierces the copper pipe. You attach the valve screw down the screw that pierces the copper then back the screw out and you have water.....Your RO tube should slip right into the saddle valve.

chubby hugs
02/03/2010, 12:49 PM
Put some of the water from your heater in a clear glass and hold it up to the light... you will probably be able to see all the junk floating in it. That comes from the heating elements in your heater and is not present in the cold water line. Put the kit down and back away from the water heater :fun4:

heyyitsjustin
02/03/2010, 12:57 PM
Okay, so I am backing farrrr away from the water heater. Getting a saddle and tapping into the cold water line of sounds like my best bet then. It's too bad the water is gonna be cold but I guess I'll just have to put a heater in it and wait until it gets to a descent temp to add to the tank. Thanks!

chubby hugs
02/03/2010, 01:02 PM
Not sure what your plans are, but you probably want to set up some sort of storage system for your RO water. It doesn't just come out of the line like from a faucet, it will take a while to build up a good amount. I use a 35 Gallon Rubbermaid "Brute" trash can (can get at lowes or home depot) to store it and throw a heater in. If you use plastic, make sure it is "food safe" (usually marked on bottom) otherwise it can leech chemicals into your water. When I mix up the saltwater I put that into a 5 gallon bucket and move the heater over to keep it at temp until ready to use.

RBU1
02/03/2010, 01:06 PM
Okay, so I am backing farrrr away from the water heater. Getting a saddle and tapping into the cold water line of sounds like my best bet then. It's too bad the water is gonna be cold but I guess I'll just have to put a heater in it and wait until it gets to a descent temp to add to the tank. Thanks!

Wait a minute......How much RO water are you adding to your tank????

I have a 300 gallon tank hooked right up to my RO thru a float switch. Temp doesnt bother anything......Forget the whole heater idea waste of your time and energy.

heyyitsjustin
02/03/2010, 01:16 PM
I only have a 55g tank. Okay I guess there's no real reason for using a heater since it adds the water so slowly. Right now I just need to top of my tank. I'm looking into these float switches but being a beginner...I have no idea where to start

RBU1
02/03/2010, 01:19 PM
I like the one I have... http://www.reeftek.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=R&Category_Code=LC

Top one.....

I use it in conjunction with a kalk reactor....

chubby hugs
02/03/2010, 01:22 PM
I am a newbie too and am not using the float switches. I just grab a gallon out of my brute can every time I need a top off. I also use my RO for drinking water in the house, so my setup is a little different. I just run into the brute can for short periods of time to fill it back up. If you do something like that, you just have to remember to turn it off, so you don't leave it running and flood yourself!

RBU1
02/03/2010, 01:23 PM
I am a newbie too and am not using the float switches. I just grab a gallon out of my brute can every time I need a top off. I also use my RO for drinking water in the house, so my setup is a little different. I just run into the brute can for short periods of time to fill it back up. If you do something like that, you just have to remember to turn it off, so you don't leave it running and flood yourself!

When you are in the hobby for a while you try to find things that make stuff easier. An auto topoff is one of them....

Drilling a little hole in your brute and using a $15.00 float is so much easier then having to remember to turn your RO off....

chubby hugs
02/03/2010, 01:36 PM
When you are in the hobby for a while you try to find things that make stuff easier. An auto topoff is one of them....

Drilling a little hole in your brute and using a $15.00 float is so much easier then having to remember to turn your RO off....

Oh, I already have plans for this, just haven't got to it yet. I looked at your link and am noodling the idea of the auto topoff now too. Only problem is my brute can is about 20 feet away from my tank in a different room. Could prob just get an oversize pump and run the line through the ceiling and then drop it down to the tank. Easily doable, if only I had the time...:hmm3:

RBU1
02/03/2010, 01:42 PM
Oh, I already have plans for this, just haven't got to it yet. I looked at your link and am noodling the idea of the auto topoff now too. Only problem is my brute can is about 20 feet away from my tank in a different room. Could prob just get an oversize pump and run the line through the ceiling and then drop it down to the tank. Easily doable, if only I had the time...:hmm3:

The ideal is to run a line from your RO unit to the top off unit located near your tank.

RBU1
02/03/2010, 01:43 PM
If the bucket full of water idea is what you need then I would steer you to this

http://www.lifereef.com/frame.html Look for the float switch under all products....

I use this type on my 75. I have a rubbermaid tub next to my w/d in the tub is a pump and as the water levl in the tank drops the vlave turns the pump on putting water back in the tank. Check out the Lifereef float valves. Great product.

thetonyage
02/03/2010, 02:42 PM
i just hooked mine up too and my water is freezing, ive always been told its best to just wait till the weather heats up and not screw with anything and risk ruining the life of your unit for a month or 2 of faster water production.

brycerb
02/03/2010, 04:22 PM
I heard hot water can melt the ro membrane.