PDA

View Full Version : algae/cyano/? - ID

JShearer83
02/03/2010, 12:57 PM
This brown, spongy growth is taking over my DT...any thoughts on what it is?
Also, I just started vodka dosing today...thought it might help? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1392&pictureid=8817

reeftivo
02/03/2010, 01:26 PM
Cyano! Check nitrates and your RO source for silicates. If thats fine then shorten your light cycle, feed less and increase flow in the system-cyano hates strong flow.

Its better to change only one thing at a time and observe the results. If you change everything at once and the problem subsides then you wont know what was causing the issue.

JShearer83
02/03/2010, 01:59 PM
Thanks reeftivo...

JShearer83
02/03/2010, 02:01 PM
any thoughts on vodka dosing? That should help reduce my nitrates, but my nitrates are only around 5-10 at the most...

Also, I collect my own seawater, fish, crabs, and snails locally in NE Florida

JShearer83
02/03/2010, 02:21 PM
bump

Chiefsurfer
02/03/2010, 02:53 PM
where to you go to collect the water? That may be the issue. You guys should have crushed coral sand, so that should contain little, if ANY silicates, BUT, collecting water nearshore(I have been told within 3 miles of the beach) will likely have run-off from sand that get into the ocean during rains. This run-off can have all kinds of fertilizers and excess nutrients, and may be the route cause of your problems.

If it is collected further out like that, then increase flow, that is one thing cyano HATES