PDA

View Full Version : Need advise on deep sand bed

janakaybravo
02/03/2010, 04:06 PM
I'm putting in the sand into my 3 x 5 tank. It's 29 inches high so I wanted the dsb to make it easier for me to reach the bottom. I haven't added the water yet and it seems like a lot of sand in there. Will it pack down? Is it okay to have it deeper at the back, as much as a foot, and shallower at the front? Will it stay that way when the water's added?

Also should I put the rock in before adding the water? I have a couple of heavy pieces to place. Should I put them a little below the sand line for security or on top of the sand bed? At this point I could put them on the floor of the tank.

Thanks for help.

Shane Hoffman
02/03/2010, 04:12 PM
Your rock will be much more stable and safe if it is directly placed on the glass. The sand can then be placed around it. If you put the rocks ontop of the sand you may be setting your self up for a landslide (especially if you aquire any animals that burrow). It is ok to have the sand deeper in the back than in the fron. The sand will not pack down very much at all, if any. The sand will stay where it is for the most part if you pour the water very carfeully. Obviously the spot where the water hits the sand will be disturbed.

bertoni
02/03/2010, 04:53 PM
Another alternative to placing the rock on the grass is to take some PVC pipes and cut them in half, and use them to connect the live rock to the tank bottom. That avoids burying live rock, which kills the buried portion.

janakaybravo
02/03/2010, 05:58 PM
It's 3-4 inches in front and 14 in the very back, that looks like a mountain. It's set up to viewed from 3 sides.

Too much sand?

janakaybravo
02/03/2010, 06:01 PM
Trying to attach a pic. Having trouble.

bertoni
02/03/2010, 06:21 PM
It's more sand than is needed, but if you like the looks, it's okay. I'm not sure how long it'll stay landscaped that way, though.

janakaybravo
02/03/2010, 08:00 PM
pic

janakaybravo
02/03/2010, 08:03 PM
What is a good amount of sand? This looks ridiculous.

Shane Hoffman
02/03/2010, 08:20 PM
I wouldnt use that much if it were me, IMO (and of course everyone has different tastes) you have a gorgeous tank and stand, the sand being over 4 inches deep would really detract from the beauty of the overall set up. You only need a couple of inches to get the beneifits biologically from sand. If you have your heart set on running DSB do it remote. Imo I have noticed more and more people steering away from the DSB in this hobby.

janakaybravo
02/03/2010, 08:26 PM
It's a 29 inch tall tank, so I was going to go with 5 inch sand bed to help me reach it (I'm only 5 foot tall).

I have had 2-3 inch sand beds and did not get the denitrifying effect; in fact seemed to be messier, so decided to try a DSB. I do know some people doing DSB and sps tank, which is what I'm going to do.

Guess I'll get some buckets and dig some of this out.:rolleyes:

tspors
02/03/2010, 08:31 PM
I would remove all the sand. Do your rockuascape on the glass bottom, then replace about 1/2 that sand. Actually about 1/4. What you have is going to be to much. 1-4" is good as Shane mentioned . Take your time.

five O
02/03/2010, 08:38 PM
With that much sand, you will have some crazy sand storms if you have any type of water movement/current required for an SPS tank. Trust me, I learned this lesson the hard way.

bertoni
02/03/2010, 08:58 PM
5-6" of sand will be fine, and less is okay if you don't need the filtration capacity. In the end, I think sand depth is mostly an esthetic choice for most people.

I think the sand will collapse down to a more level state fairly quickly.